GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2018, 02:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (00:49) correct 36% (00:55) wrong based on 1560 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

(A) which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

(B) which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view

(C) by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

(D) including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing

(E) including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

Originally posted by quantum on 14 Jun 2008, 01:52.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Dec 2018, 02:51, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2010, 17:54
Hey All,

Lots of you are on this, but I'd just add a bit of explanation. One uses a comma to set off a modifying phrase, generally with either a participle, or a relative pronoun like "which". "By" is a preposition. It is very uncommon to introduce a prepositional phrase with a comma, because they aren't necessary. For example:

The house by the sea.

I'll do it by flying in at nightfall.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2008, 03:42
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the
company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes
reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
the watermark while
holding the check to the light.
A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and
view
-"which" incorrectly refers to "printed instructions"
B. which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures
and view
-"which" incorrectly refers to "printed instructions"
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and
viewing
-"by including" is not required here.
D. including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing
- to watch the endorsement,[to] comparing signatures and [to] viewing - incorrect right ?
E. including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
-correct
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2010, 11:05
angel2009 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the
company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes
the watermark while
view
and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and
viewing
D. including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing

What is the problem with C ?

IMO 'E'

'C' is wrong.. read the above sentence as below(removing the sentence in bracket):

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions (that the
company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity), which includes
reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while

HTH.

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2010, 07:22
Hi Tommy,
Don't you think C is more parallel than E ?

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2010, 09:23
Hey Angel,

Not so far as I can see: watch, compare, and view are just as parallel as watching, comparing, and viewing. What makes you feel like one is more parallel than the other?

-t

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2010, 19:54
Hi, Tom, (well maybe you won't see this post anymore.I just try)

could you clarify the usage of Ving here?

I read some rules about the usage of this on Manhattan forum, which is following:

the "comma + ing" modifier should only be used when:

(A)
it MODIFIES THE ENTIRE ACTION of the preceding clause, and it APPLIES TO THE SUBJECT of that clause;
AND
(B)
one of the following is true:
(1) the "ing" action is SIMULTANEOUS with the main action;
- i ran down the sidewalk, flapping my arms wildly
(2) the "ing" action is a DIRECT CONSEQUENCE of the main action;
- i got a 100 on the most recent exam, bringing my average up to 91

But the Ving here in Choice E doesn't fit in the above rules, right?

Also, presuming the choise A is using "include", will it be the best answer? Thank you very much!

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 11:02
Kaja wrote:
Hi, Tom, (well maybe you won't see this post anymore.I just try)

could you clarify the usage of Ving here?

I read some rules about the usage of this on Manhattan forum, which is following:

the "comma + ing" modifier should only be used when:

(A)
it MODIFIES THE ENTIRE ACTION of the preceding clause, and it APPLIES TO THE SUBJECT of that clause;
AND
(B)
one of the following is true:
(1) the "ing" action is SIMULTANEOUS with the main action;
- i ran down the sidewalk, flapping my arms wildly
(2) the "ing" action is a DIRECT CONSEQUENCE of the main action;
- i got a 100 on the most recent exam, bringing my average up to 91

But the Ving here in Choice E doesn't fit in the above rules, right?

Also, presuming the choise A is using "include", will it be the best answer? Thank you very much!

Hey Kaja,

It's not modifying the previous clause, per se, but it's modifying such an ENORMOUS noun (already modified), that the -ing helps us clarify it.:

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is (a series [of printed instructions {that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity}])...

The part in parentheses is all one noun with modifiers set off by different parentheses. We want to modify that ENTIRE thing. Using just a relative pronoun wouldn't work, because it's so FAR from the word it's really modifying ("series"). And technically, the next modifier IS happening simultaneously (it's describing those very rules). I agree it's a bit of a stretch based on the rules we give, but it's far closer to the rules for -ing words than the rules for relative pronouns.

Hope that helps!

-t

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:04
I am just rearranging the clause to make aware about usage of clause.

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a X, that the compnay hopes will help merchant confirm a check's authenticity.

We are looking for the correctness of clause X.

C=> "a series of printed instructions by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing the watermark while
holding the check to the light."

E=> a series of printed instructions including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view. Correct.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 10:27
angel2009 wrote:
the watermark while
view
and view
viewing

Hii Vishu.
Answer choice C has several errors. I am listing tem here:
1) Nowhere it seems that we are supposed to check the authenticity by watching the endorsement, by comparing signatures etc. If you have a doubt, please check the original sentence. On choosing C, you will be diverting from the original meaning.
2) Precedes the prepositional phrase by a comma.
3) There is a huge difference between "for verbing" and "to verb". The former implies that the action is taking place at present whereas the latter implies the "intent or more specifically Purpose".

Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 01:50
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I was confused between A and E.

Can you tell whats the differences between check’s authenticity, which includes and check’s authenticity, including... :?:

I eliminated A because if we look on check’s authenticity, which includes and ask question WHAT IS INCLUDING
I hope we are talking about a series of printed instructions--> So, its PLURAL S-V disagreement.

Additionally, if the option would be--

A. which INCLUDES reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view (Is that would be correct)

Please assist..
Waiting for your response

hi,
you are correct about..
Quote:
I eliminated A because if we look on check’s authenticity, which includes and ask question WHAT IS INCLUDING
I hope we are talking about a series of printed instructions--> So, its PLURAL S-V disagreement.

yes 'include' is talking/modifying a series of printed instructions, but can this be done by 'which'.. NO
which can modify the nearest or a slight away noun ..
verb+ing is the correct usage if you ar etalking of the entire clause in general..
and hence 'including'..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 10:14
angel2009 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

view
and view
viewing

Responding to a pm: Between (A) and (E), I would still go with (E) because the relative pronoun "which" seems to be modifying "authenticity". It is very far from "series" - the noun it is actually modifying.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 09:54
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
B. which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

Hi experts, can you please explain what is "including" in choices D & E modifying? If it is modifying the "series of printed instructions" then how can it jump over the "that" clause preceding it?

Thank you for your help!!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 10:38
Conquergmat5 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
B. which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

Hi experts, can you please explain what is "including" in choices D & E modifying? If it is modifying the "series of printed instructions" then how can it jump over the "that" clause preceding it?

Thank you for your help!!

Dear Conquergmat5,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you appear relatively new to GMAT Club. Please do NOT start a brand new thread for any question that has already been posted. I guarantee you that every official question is already somewhere here on GMAT Club. Please always search extensively: if your question is not already answered in the discussion on that thread, add it to the thread, and all the experts who have already responded on the thread will see it. I have merged your post into in a much larger thread about this very same question.

The participle "including" in (D) & (E) modifies the noun "printed instructions." This noun is followed by a vital noun modifier, the long "that" clause that goes up to the comma, and the participle "including" immediately follows the "that" clause. As you may appreciate, a vital noun modifier can come between a target noun and another modifier, creating for that second modifier a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule. See:
GMAT Grammar: Vital Noun Modifiers

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 01:52
A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view --> which refers to authenticity; if you don't know whether this is correct you have to zoom out, cool down and understand what the sentence tries to transfer

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 23:11
quantum wrote:

(A) which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
(B) which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view
(C) by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing
(D) including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing
(E) including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

Dear Experts,
How 'ing' modifier here is in agreement with the subject of the sentence , please explain.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:25
anje29 wrote:
Dear Experts,
How 'ing' modifier here is in agreement with the subject of the sentence , please explain.

Hi anje29 ,

"Including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view" is giving extra information about the printed instructions.

Note that it is acting as a modifier, which is giving more information about the clause before the comma.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:32
abhimahna wrote:
anje29 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Hi anje29 ,

"Including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view" is giving extra information about the printed instructions.

Note that it is acting as a modifier, which is giving more information about the clause before the comma.

Does that make sense?

Hi,
But only noun modifiers can provide extra information , what do you think here ? And since it logically fits to modify printed instructions and therefore correct.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:39
anje29 wrote:
Hi,
But only noun modifiers can provide extra information , what do you think here ? And since it logically fits to modify printed instructions and therefore correct.

Hi anje29 ,

We can use gerunds also to provide extra information.

Here we have two gerunds "including and holding". Hence, These modifiers have been correctly used.

Let me know in case of more queries. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 02:53
The referent for COMMA + "including" cannot be a general category.
Generally, COMMA + "including" must serve to refer to a SPECIFIC SET.

Official examples:
A study urged states to undertake "a number of remedies" to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.
Here, the referent for COMMA + including is a specific set of remedies (the phrase within quotes).
The new image of Stone Age people has emerged from the examination of "tools found in Germany", including three wooden spears.
Here, the referent for COMMA + including is a specific set of tools (the phrase within quotes).

Coming back to orignal question :-

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is "a series of printed instructions" that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.
Here, the referent for COMMA + "including" cannot be "merchants" (a general category).
The only viable referent for COMMA + "including" is the portion within quotes (a specific set of instructions).
My POE
A and B are immediately out as its "not authenticity", but the "printed features includes".
Reasoning :- "which" incorrectly refers to "authenticity". what i meant was that it should refer to "printed instructions" instead.
left with C D E
in C use of preposition "by" is wrong.
Reasoning:- One uses a comma to set off a modifying phrase, generally with either a participle, or a relative pronoun like "which". "By" is a preposition. It is very uncommon to introduce a prepositional phrase with a comma, because they aren't necessary.

The participle "including" in (D) & (E) modifies the noun "printed instructions." This noun is followed by a vital noun modifier, the long "that" clause that goes up to the comma, and the participle "including" immediately follows the "that" clause. As you may appreciate, a vital noun modifier can come between a target noun and another modifier, creating for that second modifier a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series &nbs [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 02:53

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap