It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The professor's consistent late arrival is offset

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-02-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 18:39
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (00:39) correct 73% (00:41) wrong based on 213 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The professor's consistent late arrival is offset somewhat by the remarkable quality of his lectures.

A) The professor's consistent late arrival
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor
C) The professor's consistently late arrival
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently
E) The professor's consistent late arriving
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-02-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 18:41
I've a doubt in the OA, I'll tell that once someone starts post their explanation. :oops:

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 155 [1], given: 1

GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 23:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The key point to note here is "The professor's consistent late arrival".

Consistent late arrival
Adjective + Adjective + Noun

In the original sentence,
-- > "Late" is used an adjective which modifies noun "arrival"
--> "Consistent" is used as an adjective which modifies noun "arrival" -- Wrong ! We are talking about the professor who is consistently late . Hence adverb "Consistently" should be used to modify the adjective "late"
--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)

A) The professor's consistent late arrival - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
C) The professor's consistently late arrival - Correct
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun
E) The professor's consistent late arriving - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun

Kudos [?]: 155 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-02-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 01:19
AVRonaldo wrote:
The key point to note here is "The professor's consistent late arrival".

Consistent late arrival
Adjective + Adjective + Noun

In the original sentence,
-- > "Late" is used an adjective which modifies noun "arrival"
--> "Consistent" is used as an adjective which modifies noun "arrival" -- Wrong ! We are talking about the professor who is consistently late . Hence adverb "Consistently" should be used to modify the adjective "late"
--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)

A) The professor's consistent late arrival - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
C) The professor's consistently late arrival - Correct
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun
E) The professor's consistent late arriving - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun


Thanks Ronaldo, very good explanation..! Keep it up :) Especially I was looking for the explanation about the reference(him) of the possessive noun. But you explained it before even asking..:)

--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)


[ Adjective + Adjective + noun] - Here both the adjectives modifies the noun.
[Adverb + Adjective + Noun] - Here adverb modifies adjectives and in turn adjectives modifies the noun.

Any idea when should we use what? Or are we going to use the above rule solely based on the context?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 04:03
SivaKumarP wrote:
AVRonaldo wrote:
The key point to note here is "The professor's consistent late arrival".

Consistent late arrival
Adjective + Adjective + Noun

In the original sentence,
-- > "Late" is used an adjective which modifies noun "arrival"
--> "Consistent" is used as an adjective which modifies noun "arrival" -- Wrong ! We are talking about the professor who is consistently late . Hence adverb "Consistently" should be used to modify the adjective "late"
--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)

A) The professor's consistent late arrival - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
C) The professor's consistently late arrival - Correct
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun
E) The professor's consistent late arriving - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun


Thanks Ronaldo, very good explanation..! Keep it up :) Especially I was looking for the explanation about the reference(him) of the possessive noun. But you explained it before even asking..:)

--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)


[ Adjective + Adjective + noun] - Here both the adjectives modifies the noun.
[Adverb + Adjective + Noun] - Here adverb modifies adjectives and in turn adjectives modifies the noun.

Any idea when should we use what? Or are we going to use the above rule solely based on the context?


Adjectives can modify only nouns and Adverbs can modify anything say verbs, adjectives, adverbs or even clauses except nouns and pronouns.
So I don't think we will ever go wrong if we stick with the above rules blindly. But, its always better to use those rules
to preserve the author's intent. Nowadays, Meaning plays a far important role in GMAT SC. If possible, try to go through the article by Magoosh instructor(in Gmat Experience thread) on how the SC has become reliant on meaning these days.

Let's take a look at this example.

"We have more efficient engines" - more can be used as an adjective or an adverb .
--> Does the author mean highly efficient engines? [Adjective + Adjective + Noun]
--> or Does he mean more number of efficient engines? [Adverb + Adjective + Noun]

In the above case, both rules seem valid. So it's always better to understand the author's intent and then use the rules to reflect the intended meaning.
:)

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-02-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 04:50
Thanks again Ronaldo. I'm pretty clear with what you stated above. : -)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 12:18
Remove D & E because arriving is a verb and not an action noun.
Remove A & B because consistent is not correct in this sentence.

By elimanation C is the correct answer:

C) The professor's consistently late arrival

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 77

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 86

Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 13:00
SivaKumarP wrote:
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset somewhat by the remarkable quality of his lectures.

A) The professor's consistent late arrival
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor
C) The professor's consistently late arrival
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently
E) The professor's consistent late arriving


What is the source of this question? I do not believe that the OA is correct. "His" has no antecedent.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 86

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-02-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 19:32
pate13 wrote:
SivaKumarP wrote:
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset somewhat by the remarkable quality of his lectures.

A) The professor's consistent late arrival
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor
C) The professor's consistently late arrival
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently
E) The professor's consistent late arriving


What is the source of this question? I do not believe that the OA is correct. "His" has no antecedent.



Even I too had the same doubt. But could find the below info in this thread. It does makes sense to me. Agree? Coming to the source, I found this question in 800score.com.

--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 156

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 559

Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 09:57
can someone please help with this question?

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 559

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10268

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 12:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 12:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The professor's consistent late arrival is offset

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.