GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 02:15

INSEAD R1 Results This Week!

First Decision Reported on Decision Tracker  |  Join INSEAD Chat to Calm Your Nerves & Catch the Latest Action

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 07:26
The OA is E. But i contend the answers given in support for E. Here the author mentions that their is insufficient resources to prosecute illegal downloaders. So even if they do prosecute, that number will be very small. So why E. E seems to bear very little relevance to the argument. But if the number of illegal downloaders are itself small, then more people can come under jurisdiction, thus resolving the issue of lack of resources. B seems to be a more apt answer to this than E. Experts, please resolve this!
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 18:03
This is a very subtle question - if you don't read the wording extremely carefully, it's easy to be tempted by a few of the answer choices. The key point to notice here is that we are concerned with "the **number of people** who illegally download music." We are *not* concerned with the number of illegal downloads.

Looking at the answer choices, A and D are irrelevant, since they are not related to the issue in the stem: that only a small number of people can be prosecuted. B and C are both relevant to the question of whether prosecutions might reduce the number of *downloads*, but that isn't our question: we want to reduce the number of *downloaders*. E is the correct answer. If the threat of prosecution might discourage people from downloading, then the number of downloaders might fall even if only a few people can be prosecuted.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 08:39
punyadeep wrote:
q)) The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not have the resources to prosecute all of the individuals who illegally download music from the Internet. Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited, the actions of the recording industry will have a minimal impact on the number of people who illegally download music.

The answer to which of the following questions would best help evaluate the accuracy of the conclusion above?

a) Will recording industry lawyers dedicate the majority of their time to prosecuting those who illegally download music?

b)) Is a small minority of individuals responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads?

c))Do many individuals who illegally download songs share their music files with other Internet users?

d))Will new Internet security technology permit the recording industry to more quickly and easily identify individuals who illegally download music?

e)) Will the threat of prosecution alter the behavior of those who illegally download music?

Good one.
I approached this question by questioning the conclusion.
If E were true, then the actions of the recording industry will have a <b>significant</b> impact on the number of people who illegally download music.
So, I chose E.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2011, 09:12
I could quickly narrow down to B and E. The rest are all out of scope. A bit of thinking helped me choose E of the two.

Found this one quite straight forward.

p!yu$h
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-620-to-710-my-gmat-story-test-date-30-oct-122547.html#p995276

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 02:31
Marcab wrote:
Can anyone give me a profound reason to eliminate B.
I reduced the options to B and E but I feel E has only a slight edge over B.

Lets see B and E:

"Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited, the actions of the recording industry will have a minimal impact on the number of people who illegally download music."

The answer to which of the following questions would best help evaluate the accuracy of the conclusion above?

b)) Is a small minority of individuals responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads?

If only a minority of individuals are responsible for the majority of downloads or if a majority of individuals are responsible for downloads, knowing it would not help evaluate the impact of the action on those who are not charged. Ok 10 out of 1000 (minority responsible) are prosecuted or 10 out of 100000 (majority responsible) are prosecuted - but do we know impact on everyone else? no.

e)) Will the threat of prosecution alter the behavior of those who illegally download music?
If we know that threat of prosecution can or can not change behaviour of others, we would know whther taking such an action would help or not.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 02:41
Hii vips.
Thanks for the reply.
If I say that only 10 persons illegally download music and are responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads, then don't you think that punishing these 10 persons will have an immense impact on the illegal downloading. Moreover, if my answer to B is No i.e there is a majority of individuals responsible for illegal downloading, then punishing just a few of them will have a minimal impact.
Am i missing something?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 03:07
Marcab wrote:
Hii vips.
Thanks for the reply.
If I say that only 10 persons illegally download music and are responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads, then don't you think that punishing these 10 persons will have an immense impact on the illegal downloading. Moreover, if my answer to B is No i.e there is a majority of individuals responsible for illegal downloading, then punishing just a few of them will have a minimal impact.
Am i missing something?

Ha ha.. you actually created a case where you are going to punish 'all' responsible. this is surely going to have impact.
But would you be able to know so, if you know that 5% of people in world download music illegaly or 30% do?

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 04:37
"Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited", since the question itself says that these people will be punished, hence I can make that assertion or can't I?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 04:56
Marcab wrote:
"Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited", since the question itself says that these people will be punished, hence I can make that assertion or can't I?

Number of people who are charged are limited... probably only 5-10 are getting punished and rest are not. This further supports the assertion made in previous posts.

Hope it helps.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 06:18
Vips0000 wrote:
Marcab wrote:

Number of people who are charged are limited... probably only 5-10 are getting punished and rest are not. This further supports the assertion made in previous posts.

Hope it helps.

B asks whether there is a small minority of individual responsible for the majority of illegal songs download. Now for evaluation, we answer the question either in terms of yes or no and then check whether these contrasting answers do really make an impact.
What I am saying is that if the answer is yes, ie there is a small minority of individuals responsible for majority of illegal downloads, and as per the stimulus, these people are charged with crime. Then it will make an impact.
But if the people who are responsible for majority of illegal downloads are many, and if only very few are charged then certainly there will be no impact.
Any CR expert, please help me resolve this doubt.

Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 06:28
Hi - The question is about the number of PEOPLE not the number of SONGS downloaded.

B suggests that by targetting a few people you could affect the number of SONGS dowloaded. But not whether you could affect the number of PEOPLE downloading.

In other terms, it's like saying most thieves only steal one thing and a few thieves steal lots. By arresting the thieves who steal a lot you can reduce a lot the number of crimes, but still the majority of people who have commited at least one crime are still free....
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 06:55
Hii plumber250.
Consider an example:
Let there be only 50 downloaders who download majority of illegal music. If you punish 40 out of those, 10 downloaders remain. Hence illegal downloading can be reduced to a huge extent.
Now let there be 50,000 downloaders but only 40 of them are punished. Illegal downloading still persists.
That's my point.

Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 07:14
Hi,

With your example you are correct. However that is not what B is offering to tell us.

B simply tells us whether the quantity of dowloading is divided equally amongst every downloader or it is skewed. It tells us nothing about the total number.

So (to use small numbers) it would tell us amongst 10 dowloaders if the distribution is more like:

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 20, 22

or
5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

But that doesn't matter if the question is asking about the number of downloaders, in both situations there are 10. And to arrest (say) 2 in either situation still leaves 8 out there
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 08:05
Marcab wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Marcab wrote:

Hope it helps.

B asks whether there is a small minority of individual responsible for the majority of illegal songs download. Now for evaluation, we answer the question either in terms of yes or no and then check whether these contrasting answers do really make an impact.
What I am saying is that if the answer is yes, ie there is a small minority of individuals responsible for majority of illegal downloads, and as per the stimulus, these people are charged with crime. Then it will make an impact.
But if the people who are responsible for majority of illegal downloads are many, and if only very few are charged then certainly there will be no impact.
Any CR expert, please help me resolve this doubt.

This is from where it was started.. you can re-read the posts or mark B instead :)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern
Schools: NTU '17, AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2014, 11:43
the actions of the recording industry will have a minimal impact on the number of people who illegally download music.

E.

Clearly corelates the impact on the people.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2014, 20:25
the conclusion says " punishing people ( very few ) will have little impact on NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD "
b says " there a small number of people who are responsible for majority of the downloads "
now lets say the answer is yes let 10 people download 9000 songs and remaining remaining 500 people download 500 songs
if we prosecute 10 people this will not affect the number of people who illegally in this case ( 500) even though we have stopped majority of illegal download 9000.
on the other hand in we say that , no small number of people are not responsible for majority of downloads then there is no question of that curbing the number of people who illegal download the songs.

" the basic point is we want to know the impact of number of people who are illegally downloading the song and not the number of songs and since we know that people who get prosecuted are very few in comparison to no of people who do the download illegally so therefore until we do something that effect majority of ppl downloading , they ( ppl) will not get affected....so b is wrong
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2014, 06:56
I too chose B when I answered this question on a practice exam, but I realized that it is wrong, because the argument is concerned about the number of PEOPLE illegally downloading people and not the number of illegal downloads. More of this explanation can be found here http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the-recording-industry-is-fighting-a-losing-battle-t406.html.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 01:40
Answer choice E, the correct answer, is extremely relevant to our conclusion. If threatening prosecution of illegal downloaders "alters the behavior" of illegal downloaders, the actions of the recording industry could significantly affect the accuracy of the argument's conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 13:05
A. Will recording industry lawyers dedicate the majority of their time to prosecuting those who illegally download music?
I don't care about lawyers time -- OUT

B. Is a small minority of individuals responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads?
May be....Hold it...will come back

C. Do many individuals who illegally download songs share their music files with other Internet users?
Don't care what folks do after downloading music - OUT

D. Will new Internet security technology permit the recording industry to more quickly and easily identify individuals who illegally download music?
What will they do after identifying those guys...that not what the argument is about -- OUT

E. Will the threat of prosecution alter the behavior of those who illegally download music?
If I see my neighbor being prosecuted for downloading 50 shades of gray...I will be **** scared to download any movie -- I like it...but let me look at choice B again --- Its not as good as E ..Done E it is
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 09:07
The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not have the resources to prosecute all of the individuals who illegally download music from the Internet. Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited, the actions of the recording industry will have a minimal impact on the number of people who illegally download music. The answer to which of the following questions would best help evaluate the accuracy of the conclusion above?

A. Will recording industry lawyers dedicate the majority of their time to prosecuting those who illegally download music?
It's already stated that there are not enough resources to prosecute everyone who illegally downloads music. It's already implied that if the lawyers did reach the maximum time to prosecute illegal downloading there just aren't enough resources.

B. Is a small minority of individuals responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads?
If it is a small minority the recording industry still does not have the resources to take them down.

C. Do many individuals who illegally download songs share their music files with other Internet users?
Irrelevant. We are only concerned with the individuals who illegally download music, not the ones who share their music files.

D. Will new Internet security technology permit the recording industry to more quickly and easily identify individuals who illegally download music?
Identifying all the individuals does not mean that the recording industry still has the resources to prosecute the individuals. Remember, we are only concerned with prosecuting, not finding.

E. Will the threat of prosecution alter the behavior of those who illegally download music?
If illegal downloaders take the threat seriously they may stop downloading thus there are a lot less people for the recording companies to prosecute.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not &nbs [#permalink] 09 Mar 2015, 09:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap