It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [12], given: 111

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2013, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (00:35) correct 54% (00:43) wrong based on 667 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them have a population less than 10,000.
(A) of which some of them have
(B) some of which having
(C) some of them having
(D) some of them have
(E) some of which to have

This question explores both absolute phrases and subgroup modifiers. For more on absolute phrases, as well as a complete explanation of this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/absolute-p ... -the-gmat/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8966 [12], given: 111

Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9502 [0], given: 1203

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2013, 13:17

Kudos [?]: 9502 [0], given: 1203

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 202 [3], given: 69

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2013, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them have a population less than 10,000.
(B) some of which having
(C) some of them having
(D) some of them have

+1 kudo sir. I liked this question.
I was between C and D, but chose C correctly as dependent clause will not have its individual verb.

Kudos [?]: 202 [3], given: 69

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 08:43
Can someone explain the difference between B and C? Which vs them rule

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [11], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
carrillo1228 wrote:

Dear carrillo1228,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I don't know whether you read the OE, at the link given in the top post in this thread.

Here's the basic idea. The word "which" is a relative pronoun. It introduces a subordinate clause and acts as the subject of that clause. Thus, the word "which" always needs a 100% bonafide full verb following it. If there were an option with a full verb after "which", that would be correct ---- that's what many test-takers would expect, and the fact that this option is not available is part of what is tricky about this question. It would be perfectly correct to say -----
The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.
That's completely correct, but not an option here. You see, choice (B) has "which" + [participle}, which is never a legitimate structure. The structure in (C), with the ordinary pronoun "them" + [participle] ---- that is a legitimate structure: an absolute phrase, discuss in the link in that first post.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8966 [11], given: 111

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 09:31
Hi Mike,

This completely makes sense.

This goes back to the "which - noun" way of remembering things..... in that the word 'which' needs a noun....

Got it.

Many thanks for your fast reply!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 12:14
Hey Mike,

I was wondering why is D not an acceptable answer for this question? Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Qjones818 wrote:
Hey Mike,

I was wondering why is D not an acceptable answer for this question? Thanks.

Dear Qjones818,
This is also tricky. The second clause would be flawless in version (D), but the sentence would be a run-on sentence. We can separate one independent clause from another purely with a comma. We need a conjunction (and, but, or, for, yet, ...) or a strong break in punctuation (semicolon, colon, dash). See:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8966 [1], given: 111

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 08:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 241

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V21
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 08:05
mikemcgarry wrote:
carrillo1228 wrote:

Dear carrillo1228,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I don't know whether you read the OE, at the link given in the top post in this thread.

Here's the basic idea. The word "which" is a relative pronoun. It introduces a subordinate clause and acts as the subject of that clause. Thus, the word "which" always needs a 100% bonafide full verb following it. If there were an option with a full verb after "which", that would be correct ---- that's what many test-takers would expect, and the fact that this option is not available is part of what is tricky about this question. It would be perfectly correct to say -----
The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.
That's completely correct, but not an option here. You see, choice (B) has "which" + [participle}, which is never a legitimate structure. The structure in (C), with the ordinary pronoun "them" + [participle] ---- that is a legitimate structure: an absolute phrase, discuss in the link in that first post.

Thanks for explanation Mike. I was caught in between B & C. Now, it makes more sense.

Thanks Again :) :-D

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 241

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(B) some of which having
(C) some of them having
(D) some of them have

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:06
A is redundant and awkward. B and E are clearly wrong. D is missing an "of" after population. So C IMO...

In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:18
Can you explain why choice "C" is correct?

I am trying to put choice "C" in the original sentence and to move mofier before the main clause (so that there will be no change of meaning) and it doesn't make sense:

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them having a population less than 10,000.

This sentence conveys the same meaning, since a verb-ing modifier put before the clause, can modify the clause:
Some of the counties having a population less than 10,000, The state of California contains 58 counties.

Doesn't work.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 09:02
bakavoice wrote:

I am trying to put choice "C" in the original sentence and to move mofier before the main clause (so that there will be no change of meaning) and it doesn't make sense:

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them having a population less than 10,000.

This sentence conveys the same meaning, since a verb-ing modifier put before the clause, can modify the clause:
Some of the counties having a population less than 10,000, The state of California contains 58 counties.

Doesn't work.

C does work. It's an absolute clause type sentence.

The state of California contains 58 counties. = Complete thought.
Some of them having a population less than 10,000 = Not a complete thought.

Similar to the sentence: "All things being equal, the best choice is C."

Last edited by iPen on 12 Jul 2015, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 09:08
iPen wrote:
bakavoice wrote:

Doesn't work.

C does work. It's an absolute clause type sentence.

Thanks! I somehow skipped absolute constructions in my preparation.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 09:09
mikemcgarry wrote:
carrillo1228 wrote:

Dear carrillo1228,

Hey Mike, nice explanation.. I was wondering can we generalize this is a rule that a pronoun can never be followed by a participle?

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 12:26
Subanta wrote:

Hey Mike, nice explanation.. I was wondering can we generalize this is a rule that a pronoun can never be followed by a participle?

Dear Subanta,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Your question is unusual, because in the OA of this SC question, a pronoun IS followed by a participle.

(C) The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them having a population less than 10,000.
"them" = pronoun
"having" = participle
This is the OA and it is 100% correct.

We certainly can't generalize a rule against something that is true in this correct sentence.

My friend, I will caution you against looking for a "rule based" way to approach GMAT SC. Yes, there are a few valid rules, and several more guidelines, but one cannot rise to GMAT SC mastery by learning some complete set of rules. Grammar is not mathematics. There is an irreducible living quality to language. I will recommend this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:18
mikemcgarry wrote:
Subanta wrote:

Dear Subanta,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Your question is unusual, because in the OA of this SC question, a pronoun IS followed by a participle.

(C) The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them having a population less than 10,000.
"them" = pronoun
"having" = participle
This is the OA and it is 100% correct.

We certainly can't generalize a rule against something that is true in this correct sentence.

My friend, I will caution you against looking for a "rule based" way to approach GMAT SC. Yes, there are a few valid rules, and several more guidelines, but one cannot rise to GMAT SC mastery by learning some complete set of rules. Grammar is not mathematics. There is an irreducible living quality to language. I will recommend this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Idioms have made my life easier in SC but I get your point! Thanks Mike!

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1364 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 16:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikemcgarry wrote:
(B) some of which having
(C) some of them having
(D) some of them have

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

Here, we get clause construction as well as what is sometimes called a “subgroup modifier”.

The word “which” is a relative pronoun, and this means two important things. First, “which” begins a subordinate clause that, like any clause, must have a full [noun] + [verb] structure. Second, the pronoun “which” itself is the subject of this subordinate clause. Choices (B) & (E) run afoul of the first rule — they follow “which” with a participle and an infinitive respectively, not a full bonafide verb. Choice (A) has a bonafide verb, “have”, but it gets in trouble with the second rule — it has a double subject, the word “which” and the phrase “some of them” — this would be a like the sentence, “My sister she is smart” — the [noun] + [pronoun] structure is redundant and incorrect. Choice (A) makes exactly the same mistake. None of these three choices is correct.

The phrase “some of them” is a noun. If we follow a noun with a full verb “have”, as (D) does, this creates an independent clause —- everything after the comma could stand on its own as a complete sentence. Again, the problem is — we have [independent clause], [independent clause] — that’s the structure of a run-on sentence. Choice (D) makes this mistake and is not correct. Choice (C) follows the noun “some of them” with the participlehaving” — this is the [noun] + [participle] structure of an absolute phrase. This is grammatically correct, and because there’s a grave problem with each of the other four answer choices, (C) is the only possible answer.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1364 [0], given: 440

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 05:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2017, 05:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap