GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 18:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 841
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Aug 2018, 21:21
12
4
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

86% (01:34) correct 14% (01:36) wrong based on 1078

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

92% (00:30) correct 8% (00:32) wrong based on 1031

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

86% (00:53) correct 14% (01:04) wrong based on 1026

HideShow timer Statistics

NEW PROJECT!: Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point for best explanation

Passage-29 GMATPrep RCs-Collection(Main article)

The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are most easily understood by taking atmospheric measurements. Hurricanes and tornadoes, for example, are spatially confined, the forces that drive them are highly concentrated, and they have distinctive forms and readily quantifiable characteristics. Consequently, data about them are abundant, and their behavior is relatively well understood, although still difficult to predict.

Hurricanes and tornadoes are also studied because they are highly destructive storms, and knowledge about their behavior can help minimize injury to people and property. But other equally destructive storms have not been so thoroughly researched, perhaps because they are more difficult to study. A primary example is the northeaster, a type of coastal storm that causes significant damage along the eastern coast of North America. Northeasters, whose diffuse nature makes them difficult to categorize, are relatively weak low-pressure systems with winds that rarely acquire the strength of even the smallest hurricane. Although northeasters are perceived to be less destructive than other storms, the high waves associated with strong northeasters can cause damage comparable to that of a hurricane, because they can affect stretches of coast more than 1,500 kilometers long, whereas hurricanes typically threaten a relatively small ribbon of coastline—roughly 100 to 150 kilometers.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) evaluate the relative amounts of damage caused by different storm types
(B) describe the difficulties of classifying destructive storms by type
(C) examine the relationship between wave height and the destructive potential of storms
(D) discuss a theory that explains the origins of violent storms
(E) discuss reasons why certain types of storms receive more study than others



2. According to the passage, which of the following is true of northeasters?

(A) They have only recently been identified as a distinct storm type.
(B) They are more destructive than tornadoes.
(C) They are low-pressure systems.
(D) They affect a relatively small segment of the eastern coast of North America.
(E) Their winds are typically as strong as those of small hurricanes.



3. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage about storms that lend themselves to atmospheric measurements?

(A) They are more likely than other storms to be studied by climatologists.
(B) They are likely to be less highly concentrated than are other storms.
(C) They are likely to be more difficult to predict than are other storms.
(D) They occur less frequently along the eastern coast of North America than in other areas.
(E) They tend to affect larger areas than do other storms.





_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".


Originally posted by PiyushK on 12 Aug 2014, 09:46.
Last edited by workout on 12 Aug 2018, 21:21, edited 5 times in total.
OA added
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 486
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Aug 2016, 07:51
3

Time taken 5 mins.
1.The primary purpose of the passage is to
(E) discuss reasons why certain types of storms receive more study than others
Took some time to figure this out.Answer lies in starting 3/4 lines of 2 Para. 1st para is basically an intro para.


2. According to the passage, which of the following is true of northeasters?
C. They are low-pressure systems.
" Northeasters, whose diffuse nature makes them difficult to categorize, are relatively weak low-pressure systems with winds that rarely acquire the strength of even the smallest hurricane"

3. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage about storms that lend themselves to atmospheric measurements?
(A) They are more likely than other storms to be studied by climatologists.
1 Para: "The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are most easily understood by taking atmospheric measurements. Hurricanes and tornadoes,"
2 Para: "But other equally destructive storms have not been so thoroughly researched, perhaps because they are more difficult to study. "
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)


Originally posted by JarvisR on 13 Aug 2014, 05:06.
Last edited by JarvisR on 21 Aug 2016, 07:51, edited 2 times in total.
Added timer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 26
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2014, 06:03
Time taken arnd 5.5 mins
1.E
2.C
3.A
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 753
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2014, 06:21
my take 4 min 07 sec :
1 E
2 C
3 A
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Posts: 122
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2014, 21:31
2
Took 3:49 mins :)

1) E
2) C
3) A
NUS Thread Master
User avatar
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Joined: 14 Jul 2013
Posts: 81
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2014, 21:33
1.E
2.C
3.A

Time Taken : 6 minutes :cry:
Not sure how people were able to solve this in 4 minutes.
_________________

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2014, 10:16
Nice,breezy 620-630 question...
Imo shd be done done under 3 mins..
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: PLAY HARD OR GO HOME
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 153
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 02:48
1
Well, took me 5 mins. The reason being, the answers were so crystal clear that the i took more time rechecking them :-D
_________________

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 487
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 02:52
6 mins
All correct
Difficulty level : Very easy
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 136
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 20:23
1E 2C 3A

2 minutes 28 seconds

Regards,
Manish Khare
_________________

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 2.91
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 02:49
7 mins 50 sec
What should I do to do it faster... :-(
_________________

+1 Kudo, if my post helped

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 15:08
4:30
all correct . Easy level
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2107
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 01:18
Took 4 mins to answer , including 1 min and 50 seconds to read
One of the easier GMAT RC passage :)
-The author does not cite an opinion but merely explains storms and reasons why some are studies while others are not

1.
The author explains why tornadoes and hurricanes receive more attention than Northeasters
Answer E

2."Northeasters, whose diffuse nature makes them difficult to categorize, are relatively weak low-pressure systems with winds that rarely acquire the strength of even the smallest hurricane."
Answer C

3.
"The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are most easily understood by taking atmospheric measurements."
Answer A
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 10
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 12:35
Took 1min 56sec including reading time. All correct
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 664
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 22:01
3 min 24 sec
all correct
This took time a bit when reading for 2nd question taking 1 min 25 sec.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jan 2016
Posts: 203
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 03:03
Can someone explain in Question 3, why option C is eliminated. The end of the first paragraph does say that although abundant ....difficult to predict.

I was confused between A and C and chose C.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Sep 2017
Posts: 15
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 20:38
took 3:45
all correct
600 level passage i guess
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Mar 2018
Posts: 12
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 04:23
2 min.
E
C
A
Easy one


It's not over, until I win.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2017
Posts: 249
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 04:46
pra1785 wrote:
Can someone explain in Question 3, why option C is eliminated. The end of the first paragraph does say that although abundant ....difficult to predict.

I was confused between A and C and chose C.

Hey pra,

the passage suggests:
Quote:
onsequently, data about them are abundant, and their behavior is relatively well understood, although still difficult to predict.


We can only learn from this that these storms are difficult to predict, albeit, we aren't given any information about the predictability of other storms. Hence, we can't infer that these storms are harder to predict than others storms.

Hope that helps :-)
_________________

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Nov 2015
Posts: 79
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 05:00
PiyushK wrote:
NEW PROJECT!: Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point for best explanation

Passage-29 GMATPrep RCs-Collection(Main article)

The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are most easily understood by taking atmospheric measurements. Hurricanes and tornadoes, for example, are spatially confined, the forces that drive them are highly concentrated, and they have distinctive forms and readily quantifiable characteristics. Consequently, data about them are abundant, and their behavior is relatively well understood, although still difficult to predict.

Hurricanes and tornadoes are also studied because they are highly destructive storms, and knowledge about their behavior can help minimize injury to people and property. But other equally destructive storms have not been so thoroughly researched, perhaps because they are more difficult to study. A primary example is the northeaster, a type of coastal storm that causes significant damage along the eastern coast of North America. Northeasters, whose diffuse nature makes them difficult to categorize, are relatively weak low-pressure systems with winds that rarely acquire the strength of even the smallest hurricane. Although northeasters are perceived to be less destructive than other storms, the high waves associated with strong northeasters can cause damage comparable to that of a hurricane, because they can affect stretches of coast more than 1,500 kilometers long, whereas hurricanes typically threaten a relatively small ribbon of coastline—roughly 100 to 150 kilometers.
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) evaluate the relative amounts of damage caused by different storm types
(B) describe the difficulties of classifying destructive storms by type
(C) examine the relationship between wave height and the destructive potential of storms
(D) discuss a theory that explains the origins of violent storms
(E) discuss reasons why certain types of storms receive more study than others



2. According to the passage, which of the following is true of northeasters?

(A) They have only recently been identified as a distinct storm type.
(B) They are more destructive than tornadoes.
(C) They are low-pressure systems.
(D) They affect a relatively small segment of the eastern coast of North America.
(E) Their winds are typically as strong as those of small hurricanes.



3. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage about storms that lend themselves to atmospheric measurements?

(A) They are more likely than other storms to be studied by climatologists.
(B) They are likely to be less highly concentrated than are other storms.
(C) They are likely to be more difficult to predict than are other storms.
(D) They occur less frequently along the eastern coast of North America than in other areas.
(E) They tend to affect larger areas than do other storms.






Took 3:47 seconds.

Correct answer: E, C and A
Re: The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are &nbs [#permalink] 19 May 2018, 05:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The storms most studied by climatologists have been those that are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.