GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Apr 2018, 21:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:37) correct 50% (01:44) wrong based on 257 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own television rights even with members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams would not be allowed to play against non-NCAA teams.

A. even with members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams would not be allowed to play

B. if they have membership in the NCAA and these universities' teams that are not allowed to play

C. if they are members of the NCAA, but the universities' teams that do so are not allowed to play

D. as members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams do not play

E. though members of the NCAA, but these universities' teams cannot be allowed to play

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Originally posted by aragonn on 30 Apr 2018, 21:14.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Apr 2018, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 21:30
imo ans C

best way to logically say that universities can have their own rights, but(contrast) these universities cannot contest.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

SC Moderator
V
Re: The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 22:06
arun6765 wrote:
imo ans C

best way to logically say that universities can have their own rights, but(contrast) these universities cannot contest.

I suggest you to deep dive into meaning of every single option. When you cant find the split, meaning is your best friend.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 22:46
aragonn wrote:
The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own television rights even with members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams would not be allowed to play against non-NCAA teams.

A. even with members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams would not be allowed to play

B. if they have membership in the NCAA and these universities' teams that are not allowed to play

C. if they are members of the NCAA, but the universities' teams that do so are not allowed to play

E. though members of the NCAA, but these universities' teams cannot be allowed to play

Only A and D makes sense to me.

B and C seems wrong for using "they".

In E, "though" is awkward. "as" might be good.

D seems perfect but I don't know "negotiate as" is correct.

In A, we have "negotiate with" and this looks perfect, but latter part is wordy.

I will go with D.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:00
aragonn wrote:

Interesting !

I am stuck between A and D.
Somehow I feel that D doesn't convey the intended meaning. I will have to go with A.
Awaiting OA.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:15
TaN1213 wrote:
aragonn wrote:

Interesting !

I am stuck between A and D.
Somehow I feel that D doesn't convey the intended meaning. I will have to go with A.
Awaiting OA.

What you will make out of term "against non-NCAA teams"

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 12:44
Only A and D make sense. Others do not make sense.
To differentiate between A and D is very difficult. I marked A, but then realized that in A, since ruled is a command verb, the use of do should be prefered in place of would.

so its like ruled that ... bare form of the verb to do.

Not sure.

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 13:29
aragonn wrote:

A. even with members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams would not be allowed to play --can and would not be -- incorrect

B. if they have membership in the NCAA and these universities' teams that are not allowed to play --- No verb for teams

C. if they are members of the NCAA, but the universities' teams that do so are not allowed to play -- Perfect

D. as members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams do not play --May be make sense

--meaning change

IMO- C
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 07:57
I am stuck between A and D. Request you to please explain the reasoning behind OA. Thank you.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 08:16
I hope a has no error.
Moreover in d the meaning is also changed compared to a.
Pls provide an explanation how d is preferred over a

Posted from my mobile device

--If you like my post pls give kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 12:55
Hello Experts,

Could you advise what is wrong with C ?

Regards,
Amm
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 16:16
First thing that is confusing is NCAA members. notice this term "non-NCAA teams" it goes for a university not a person for sure.

intended meaning - universities can negotiate their own television rights. even if they are members of NCAA. if so, they will follow the given condition.

A. even with members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams would not be allowed to play ---- this is saying they can discuss to members of NCAA and then follow the condition. very absurd.

B. if they have membership in the NCAA and these universities' teams that are not allowed to play ---- this one is better in sense "if they have membership." but after 'and' parallel structure should form.

C. if they are members of the NCAA, but the universities' teams that do so are not allowed to play --- if ... but ? if and but works together in phrase 'but only if'

D. as members of the NCAA, so long as these universities' teams do not play ----- expressed intended meaning.

E. though members of the NCAA, but these universities' teams cannot be allowed to play --- use of but. we we really need to change the meaning ?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 06:01
ammuseeru wrote:
Hello Experts,

Regards,
Amm

Here's what wrong with C.

First it is saying that the universities are negotiating with the NCAA - great.
Then it makes the error of referring to the teams that "do so". The teams are not negotiating -- the universities are. Helps?

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 07:52
souvik101990 wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
Hello Experts,

Regards,
Amm

Here's what wrong with C.

First it is saying that the universities are negotiating with the NCAA - great.
Then it makes the error of referring to the teams that "do so". The teams are not negotiating -- the universities are. Helps?

Is meaning not changing in option D.

As per A...Universities can negotiate with NCAA.
But as per D, Universities can negotiate as members of NCAA.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 08:20
ammuseeru

intended meaning - universities can negotiate their own television rights. even if they are members of NCAA. if so, they will follow the given condition.

The teams are not negotiating -- the universities are. Let me know if it helps.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 09:55
aragonn wrote:
ammuseeru

The teams are not negotiating -- the universities are. Let me know if it helps.

Got it. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own &nbs [#permalink] 12 Aug 2018, 09:55

The Supreme Court has ruled that universities can negotiate their own

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap