GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 15:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:18) correct 53% (01:22) wrong based on 420 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community rulers in 1959 in Beijing on a grand scale, constructions that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflected the diverse aspects of the Chinese past and the then extant cultural canvas

A) that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflected
B) comprising an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and that reflecting
C) that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflecting
D) that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism that reflected
E) comprising an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflecting

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 11 Dec 2010, 00:00.
Last edited by daagh on 11 Dec 2010, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Re: The Ten Great Buildings and their modifications [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 02:30
My own creation; OA will follow after a while.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 02:47
daagh wrote:
My own creation; OA will follow after a while.

A is not parallel.Need that reflected after and
B,C not parallel
D : Meaning issue. How can historicism reflect aspects.
So E .

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 07:15
i don't see much wrong with A...

THAT comprised.... and reflected (that X and Y...) seems fine

use of "reflected" as opposed to "reflecting" - with the then extant cultural canvas also seems fine

General Rose's comment also reflected the then extant disagreement between the British and the Americans over the doctrine for such operations: the Americans were again inclined to apply maximum force while the British were averse to the prospects of such a dangerous
page 67
Volume 10, 2008 Baltic Security & Defence Review
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 07:23
the reason i say that is because initially 'the then extant' part seemed a bit incongruous with use "reflected" (past tense)... with "diverse aspects of the Chinese past" i think you can safely use past tense... but I'd just go with A as I don't see anything wrong as 'reflected' can i think be used...

what is the answer you had in mind? good question.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 07:30
I thought it to be your own creation Mr. Daagh, tried googling it as I couldn't sit back without knowing the OA. Google came up with one match, with the reference GMAT CLUB :-)

Gonna make it this time

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 09:39
The expression ‘the then extant’ has been used to refer to the prevailing culture at the time of the construction of the buildings to distinguish it from the then past culture. At this moment, both are past events. Looked in the same vein, the constructions also comprised those three factors that were prevailing then but still took the past tense verb comprised. So the use of past tense ‘reflected’ isn’t aberrant.

But the problem in A as I see it is that the constructions were doing two things 1. They comprised an amalgam and 2. They reflected the past and the present cultures. These two are independent of each other. Therefore we do need to have a “that” after the ‘and’ to keep the sentence symmetrical.

While we can easily dispense with choices B, C and D for using various forms of unparallel inputs, E stands out as the answer, avoiding the above pitfalls by using a couple of present participles, ‘comprising and reflecting’

Narendran 98845 44509

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:05
+1 E

daagh, I have a question: If choice A had "that" after "and", would it be correct?
In other words, are "that comprised" and "comprising" both correct?, Why?

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hmm..

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/that.html --- you need "thats" traveling in pairs for parallel construction when they refer to the same antecedent

like in the example given in this link: The senator said that he might run again and that, if he did, Myra Henry would be his campaign manager.

He said 2 independent things but the common antecedent is the senator...

I guess by the same token you need 2 thats here as well in A as the 'comprised' and the 'reflected' both relate back to 'constructions'... in the senator statement running the statement without 2 thats will just make it sound terrible... but the construction without the second "that" in your example is more difficult to catch. Thanks Daagh - good to bear this in mind. You get past A; E is the winner in my book.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
metallicafan: IMO constructions that comprised and that reflected would be even more ideal in the given case than constructions comprising and reflecting as the entire sentence is set in the past. But I do not see any less in the present participial usages, which are also handy ever so many times. Besides that, I wonder whether there is any other hair splitting nuance that distinguishes one from the other.

But in the given context, it is beside the point as the error in A was deliberately introduced.

Narendran 98845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 12:34
daagh wrote:
The expression ‘the then extant’ has been used to refer to the prevailing culture at the time of the construction of the buildings to distinguish it from the then past culture. At this moment, both are past events. Looked in the same vein, the constructions also comprised those three factors that were prevailing then but still took the past tense verb comprised. So the use of past tense ‘reflected’ isn’t aberrant.

Why did you reject D?
D is parallel.Is it because it changes the meaning.
Can you explain what r u trying to say in the above paragraph
sorry but i didnt understand your point.Do u mean to say that Using "comprised and reflect ie:the past tense ( as in A )is as preferable as using "comprising and reflecting ( as in E ) and A would have been right if only it had 2 thats

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 20:41
mundasingh123 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Why did you reject D?
D is parallel.Is it because it changes the meaning.
Can you explain what r u trying to say in the above paragraph
sorry but i didnt understand your point.Do u mean to say that Using "comprised and reflect ie:the past tense ( as in A )is as preferable as using "comprising and reflecting ( as in E ) and A would have been right if only it had 2 thats

yes D changes the meaning and distorts the llsm. For the use of that check gmat1011 exp

Gonna make it this time

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 04:31
mundasingh123:By that description, I was trying to convince gmat1011, who seemed initially to feel a little incongruous about the use of the past tense ‘reflected’ in choice A.

I meant to say that it was ok to use a past tense, even though it was describing a present tense event, given the context.

Narendran 98845 44509

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Feb 2018, 10:36
daagh wrote:
The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community rulers in 1959 in Beijing on a grand scale, constructions that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflected the diverse aspects of the Chinese past and the then extant cultural canvas

A) that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflected
B) comprising an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and that reflecting
C) that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflecting
D) that comprised an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism that reflected
E) comprising an architectural amalgam of three major factors of modernism, communism, and historicism and reflecting

Hello daagh/ GMATNinja,
Hope you are doing good!
I chose "E" instead of "A" based on the usage of "comprised" and "reflected". Since a historical monument once built will continue to depict its heritage and culture, usage of past tense isn't advisable. So instead of past participle we need present participle as used in "E". Am I correct in my reasoning?

Awaiting your response.
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Originally posted by gmatexam439 on 07 Feb 2018, 12:22.
Last edited by gmatexam439 on 08 Feb 2018, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 13:34
Why A is incorrect?
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 10:19
Expert's post
Top Contributor
gmatexam

I agree with you. In my opinion, A is missing the 'that' parallelism before the word 'reflected'.

Narendran 98845 44509

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 10:39
daagh wrote:
gmatexam

I agree with you. In my opinion, A is missing the 'that' parallelism before the word 'reflected'.

Thank you for the quick reply sire.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 04:12
daagh wrote:
gmatexam

Hello sir, I think I disagree with the " that " necessity in this problem.
In choice A, the construction is the subject to both the following verbs and hence a single that is sufficient. If the subject before " that " has to be different then, in that case, we need a separate that. On this basis choice, A is clear and precise. Secondly, if i were to think that reflected is to be parallel to the very first verb from the non underlined part then it doesn't make sense as it is incorrect to say " were reflected ". No doubt choice E is good. But you cannot just reject choice A on the basis of " kind of ambiguous " as it is neither ambiguous nor grammatically incorrect. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As it is your own creation I would request you to put up questions with answer choices with more distinct problems. To try to construct a 700+ question you may have just given two correct answer choices.
Re: The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community   [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 04:12

The Ten Great Buildings of China were built by the Community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap