Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [10]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: The term "editor" covers a number of functions ranging from one who ma [#permalink]
please explain question 2
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: The term "editor" covers a number of functions ranging from one who ma [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Kanvi wrote:
please explain question 2

Official Explanation

2. Based on information in the passage, which of the following new discoveries would potentially be a legitimate basis for a new edition of a literary work?

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

When would a new edition be justified? Presumably when the new edition was closer to the original intent of the author than the previous editions. Look at each Roman Numeral with your prediction in mind. Start with RN I, which appears in three choices. Since the author believes that the editor should present what the author intended, an original manuscript would be reasonable cause for a new edition. For the same reason, the author probably wouldn‘t agree that RN II would present justification since the publisher might be straying from the original intent, as is the case in the examples in Para 3. RN III is similar to what Auden does as described in the last paragraph. Since the author‘s intent has changed, it‘sreasonable to assume that a new edition is justified. (D) catches both of the correct points.

(A): Opposite. As above.
(B): Opposite. As above.
(C): Opposite. As above.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Opposite. As above.

PS: All OAs are already posted by my fellow friend @GMATwizard
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Bayes (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
For the last question 3, why cannot 'C' be the answer according the last paragraph that says (with example) - 'The thorniest situation of all, perhaps, involves authorial revisions made long after publication. W.H. Auden, in subsequent editions of his work, altered his own earlier poems to accord with his later political and religious opinions.'

3. Based on the information given in the passage, which of the following situations would the author probably consider the most difficult decision for an editor?

A. Pope rewrote The Dunciad, directing the satire against a completely different person.
B. Dickens changed the ending of Great Expectations at a friend‘s suggestion before its publication in book form.
C. Whitman printed Leaves of Grass himself and continued to produce new, expanded editions for almost 40 years.
D. James Joyce‘s poor eyesight made it difficult for him to proofread his manuscripts.
E. Shakespeare‘s works that had been edited by Thomas Bowdler to make it more acceptable to families
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
itsneelsubho wrote:
For the last question 3, why cannot 'C' be the answer according the last paragraph that says (with example) - 'The thorniest situation of all, perhaps, involves authorial revisions made long after publication. W.H. Auden, in subsequent editions of his work, altered his own earlier poems to accord with his later political and religious opinions.'

3. Based on the information given in the passage, which of the following situations would the author probably consider the most difficult decision for an editor?

A. Pope rewrote The Dunciad, directing the satire against a completely different person.
B. Dickens changed the ending of Great Expectations at a friend‘s suggestion before its publication in book form.
C. Whitman printed Leaves of Grass himself and continued to produce new, expanded editions for almost 40 years.
D. James Joyce‘s poor eyesight made it difficult for him to proofread his manuscripts.
E. Shakespeare‘s works that had been edited by Thomas Bowdler to make it more acceptable to families

Hi itsneelsubho,

What's mentioned in the lines, (highlighted different parts) :

"The thorniest situation of all, perhaps, involves authorial revisions made long after publication. W.H. Auden, in subsequent editions of his work, altered his own earlier poems to accord with his later political and religious opinions." ,is that authorial revisions that are made long after publications can be a tricky situation, but option C doesn't suggest any such thing.
What option C mentions is that Whitman continued to produce new, expanded editions for almost 40 years. Now this wouldn't be such an issue for the editors as the author himself has done multiple editions. Thus option C is incorrect.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Bayes (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

However, I am still not getting the point that in the passage the author uses the example of W.H. Auden to show how this has been one of the 'thorniest situation' right? If yes, then, according to the passage W.H. Auden 'altered his own earlier poems' himself, which has posed a problem for the editor. In option C as well, Whitman himself 'continued to produce new, expanded editions' which to me falls under 'involves authorial revisions made long after publication' part and hence should pose a problem to the editor.

I am still confused. :(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
itsneelsubho wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

However, I am still not getting the point that in the passage the author uses the example of W.H. Auden to show how this has been one of the 'thorniest situation' right? If yes, then, according to the passage W.H. Auden 'altered his own earlier poems' himself, which has posed a problem for the editor. In option C as well, Whitman himself 'continued to produce new, expanded editions' which to me falls under 'involves authorial revisions made long after publication' part and hence should pose a problem to the editor.

I am still confused. :(

Hi itsneelsubho,

According to the passage : "The thorniest situation of all, perhaps, involves authorial revisions made long after publication. W.H. Auden, in subsequent editions of his work, altered his own earlier poems to accord with his later political and religious opinions. ", W. H. Auden altered the poems himself, long after the publication, now this was a problem for the editor.

But what option C says is that Whitman, printed Leaves of Grass himself and continued to produce new, expanded editions for almost 40 years. , implying that Whitman firstly printed his work himself and continued to edit it. This might not pose as much of a problem to the editors as Option A does.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I can’t infer how question 1 has answer A according to me option B is better
A. Following the punctuation of the manuscript would make the book more difficult to read.
B. The punctuation of the first edition misrepresents the intentions of the author.

We can’t infer that will it made it difficult to read or not but we can infer that B because Jane Eyre is cited, where the author, Charlotte Brontë, thanked her publisher for correcting her punctuation. This suggests that the punctuation in the first edition of Jane Eyre does not accurately represent Brontë's intentions, as she preferred the publisher's corrections over her own punctuation.
Please correct me if i am wrong

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply

Harshit2774 wrote:
I can’t infer how question 1 has answer A according to me option B is better
A. Following the punctuation of the manuscript would make the book more difficult to read.
B. The punctuation of the first edition misrepresents the intentions of the author.

We can’t infer that will it made it difficult to read or not but we can infer that B because Jane Eyre is cited, where the author, Charlotte Brontë, thanked her publisher for correcting her punctuation. This suggests that the punctuation in the first edition of Jane Eyre does not accurately represent Brontë's intentions, as she preferred the publisher's corrections over her own punctuation.
Please correct me if i am wrong

Posted from my mobile device

­OE

Why does the author mention Jane Eyre? It‘s an example of a book where editing was useful because the author preferred the editor‘s punctuation to her own. If this is true, (A) makes sense. Inferior original punctuation would make the original manuscript more difficult to read.

(A): The correct answer

(B): Opposite. The author argues that Bronte preferred the corrected punctuation, and so it‘s safe to assume that it more closely reflects her intentions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts