It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1857 [6], given: 289

The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2014, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:20) correct 38% (01:29) wrong based on 564 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant, returned to the sea some 50 million years ago. These thousand-pound herbivores inhabit the warm coastal waters where Americans like to play. Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures, and an overabundance of SAVE THE MANATEE! bumper stickers, none of these animals can be considered safe.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

A) Last year, several manatees were mysteriously killed by an unidentified toxin.
B) All manatees swim at depths that make them vulnerable to the blades of motorboat engines.
C) Most tourists are unaware of the ongoing efforts to save the manatee.
D) The population of manatees in the wild has dwindled to fewer than 2,500 animals.
E) Although dozens of manatee deaths are documented each year, many more deaths go unreported.

Hi, can anyone explain why the answer choice is the right answer, please.
I found the expression of the answer choice too strong..

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Choice B: This choice explicitly states that all manatees put themselves in harm’s way by swimming at depths that make them vulnerable to the blades of motorboat engines.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1857 [6], given: 289

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 354 [3], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2014, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant, returned to the sea some 50 million years ago. These thousand-pound herbivores inhabit the warm coastal waters where Americans like to play. Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures, and an overabundance of SAVE THE MANATEE! bumper stickers, none of these animals can be considered safe.

A) Last year, several manatees were mysteriously killed by an unidentified toxin.
B) All manatees swim at depths that make them vulnerable to the blades of motorboat engines.
D) The population of manatees in the wild has dwindled to fewer than 2,500 animals.
E) Although dozens of manatee deaths are documented each year, many more deaths go unreported.

B it is

Criminal Penalties,Conservation efforts,SAVE them stickers...Although Enough is being done through awareness, the animals are still not safe.So something not to do with lack of awareness etc.

A- Just because of a separate incidence you cannot conclude that they are unsafe.We cannot say that this will occur again & hence the Manatees are unsafe...Rejected
B- Lives Near Coastal Water where US ppl play--> Swim at boat level--> Although people aware they harm them unconsciously--> Can be a probable answer
C- Tourists are unaware.But how does it matter.Nothing about them hurting the manatees or about tourists frequently visiting the coasts is mentioned in the argument...Rejected
D- Number- Irrelevant-What if there are 100000000 manatees..Rejected
E- Deaths go unreported- We don't know the cause of the death- Is it natural or man made- Rejected

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Kudos [?]: 354 [3], given: 139

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [2], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
JusTLucK04 wrote:

B it is

Criminal Penalties,Conservation efforts,SAVE them stickers...Although Enough is being done through awareness, the animals are still not safe.So something not to do with lack of awareness etc.

A- Just because of a separate incidence you cannot conclude that they are unsafe.We cannot say that this will occur again & hence the Manatees are unsafe...Rejected
B- Lives Near Coastal Water where US ppl play--> Swim at boat level--> Although people aware they harm them unconsciously--> Can be a probable answer
C- Tourists are unaware.But how does it matter.Nothing about them hurting the manatees or about tourists frequently visiting the coasts is mentioned in the argument...Rejected
D- Number- Irrelevant-What if there are 100000000 manatees..Rejected
E- Deaths go unreported- We don't know the cause of the death- Is it natural or man made- Rejected

B for me too although it's really more that there was nothing better....
No one said that there are even boats in that area....
So, if not, this argument would be irrelevant.

Kudos [?]: 81 [2], given: 58

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 89

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 05:30
How could something so irrelevant to the argument serve as a strengthener.

"Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures" rules out the probability that motorboats can harm Manatees as extra care will be taken to protect them.

But option A gives a fair enough reason to strengthen argument

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 89

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
Satyarath wrote:

"Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures" rules out the probability that motorboats can harm Manatees as extra care will be taken to protect them.

Satyarath, I answered "A" as well. I think you and I made the assumption that because there is more campaigns around their safety, that boaters will undoubtedly have had to taken measures to be safer, so we can in effect rule out "B".

I think it more has something to do with the fact that the question states that "none" of these animals can be considered safe in the conclusion. If a few get a rare disease, that doesn't mean that none are safe. Those few/several could have been a unique subset in a secluded environment. But if all mantetees swim at boat level near propellers, then none can be considered safe due to risk of injury from boat propellers.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 858 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 19:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This question always generates a lot of confusion and, as posted above, it absolutely comes down to that word NONE. Since we need a statement that impacts all manatees, only B works.

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 858 [1], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 05:37
I went with B based on the reasoning that it is the animal's fault (with all due respect) that results in its demise even though people are concerned about it. It is as if the animal invites its own death. Is this correct?

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18057 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 22:31
Answer choice A says that some manatees died from the toxin. I cannot logically conclude from that that ALL manatees are at risk. I just don't know that. It may be that only some are susceptible to the toxin.

On the other hand, if every single manatee is at risk of getting run over by a boat, then ALL manatees are at risk.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18057 [0], given: 1990

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Charlesalex wrote:
Satyarath wrote:

Satyarath, I answered "A" as well. I think you and I made the assumption that because there is more campaigns around their safety, that boaters will undoubtedly have had to taken measures to be safer, so we can in effect rule out "B".

I think it more has something to do with the fact that the question states that "none" of these animals can be considered safe in the conclusion. If a few get a rare disease, that doesn't mean that none are safe. Those few/several could have been a unique subset in a secluded environment. But if all mantetees swim at boat level near propellers, then none can be considered safe due to risk of injury from boat propellers.

A does not talk about all the manatees here. Several are killed because of chemicals. how many? Example: There were 1000 manatees. 100 were killed because of chemicals. 200 manatees were born. after 1 year number is 1100. The number has increased! A is wrong. B is the answer

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Re: The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant,   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2017, 10:51

The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap