GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 20 Jan 2020, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The "why" of what matters most to me

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
The "why" of what matters most to me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 13:54
Hey guys, I've been doing some deep soul-searching to write my Stanford essay and zeroed in on "what" matters most to me. I have rich life experiences that backup my claim that what I say matters to me really does genuinely matter to me. However, I just can't figure out "why" it matters most to me in life.

The problem is this: the whole "why" question sounds a little ridiculous to me. If, say, what matters most to Jack is honesty. How exactly is he supposed to explain "why" honesty matters most to him? It may be genes, upbringing etc. How exactly is that good enough stuff build an essay on? Sounds a little like asking why I like bagel and cream cheese for breakfast. All I can think of "why" I like bagel and cream cheese is that it tastes good. It's hard for me to write an essay on that!!

Is my concern genuine, or am I very badly misinterpreting the question? Please help me understand what the adcoms want :( :cry:
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The "why" of what matters most to me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 13:58
So from my perspective, I wrote the why as what experiences I had that backed up the what, for example, if honesty matters most to you, what life events led you to prioritise that

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 16:58
pj2294 wrote:
Hey guys, I've been doing some deep soul-searching to write my Stanford essay and zeroed in on "what" matters most to me. I have rich life experiences that backup my claim that what I say matters to me really does genuinely matter to me. However, I just can't figure out "why" it matters most to me in life.

The problem is this: the whole "why" question sounds a little ridiculous to me. If, say, what matters most to Jack is honesty. How exactly is he supposed to explain "why" honesty matters most to him? It may be genes, upbringing etc. How exactly is that good enough stuff build an essay on? Sounds a little like asking why I like bagel and cream cheese for breakfast. All I can think of "why" I like bagel and cream cheese is that it tastes good. It's hard for me to write an essay on that!!

Is my concern genuine, or am I very badly misinterpreting the question? Please help me understand what the adcoms want :( :cry:

One great way to understand the 'why' is to make a list of all the decisions that you've made related to the 'what' in the past 5 years. And then ask yourself why you made those decisions. Be honest to yourself. From my experience, at first, the reasons you'd think of would be trivial (did it just to learn something new) but then, as you get closer to the present, you'd start forming a clearer idea of a much deeper 'why'. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 20:48
pj2294 wrote:

It matters to you most because those qualities are the reasons behind what has made you successful to date.
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 02:03
pj2294 There are forces in life that catalyze our values - that shape us. This is what the why should be about. The catalyst that shaped your highest value, in the form of an anecdote/essay.

pj2294 wrote:

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 07:32
strawberryjelly wrote:
So from my perspective, I wrote the why as what experiences I had that backed up the what, for example, if honesty matters most to you, what life events led you to prioritise that

Posted from my mobile device

I was thinking of doing the same, and many people think that's the right way to go about it, but does it really address the question of WHY?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 07:33
blahblahgirl wrote:
pj2294 wrote:

One great way to understand the 'why' is to make a list of all the decisions that you've made related to the 'what' in the past 5 years. And then ask yourself why you made those decisions. Be honest to yourself. From my experience, at first, the reasons you'd think of would be trivial (did it just to learn something new) but then, as you get closer to the present, you'd start forming a clearer idea of a much deeper 'why'. Good luck!

Thanks, let me try that.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The "why" of what matters most to me   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2019, 07:33

The "why" of what matters most to me

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: erlandgas