It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 06:26
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction.
Of the 5 cars, 3 are red, 1 is blue, and 1 is yellow. If the cars are identical except for color,

how many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?
A. 20
B. 25
C. 40
D. 60
E. 125

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1033

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 06:58
is it A ?

5!/(3!*1!*1!) = 20
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1513

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 07:01
jugolo1 wrote:
There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction.
Of the 5 cars, 3 are red, 1 is blue, and 1 is yellow. If the cars are identical except for color,

how many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?
A. 20
B. 25
C. 40
D. 60
E. 125


Very weird question. I did 5! to get 120, but I can't find that in the answer choice. Is the question even complete? because I don't see any restrictions in the question. May be I'm missing something, but I'll be very interested to do know the answer to this question.

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1033

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 07:02
tarek99 wrote:
jugolo1 wrote:
There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction.
Of the 5 cars, 3 are red, 1 is blue, and 1 is yellow. If the cars are identical except for color,

how many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?
A. 20
B. 25
C. 40
D. 60
E. 125


Very weird question. I did 5! to get 120, but I can't find that in the answer choice. Is the question even complete? because I don't see any restrictions in the question. May be I'm missing something, but I'll be very interested to do know the answer to this question.


Isn't the COLOR restriction ??
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1513

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 07:03
amitdgr wrote:
is it A ?

5!/(3!*1!*1!) = 20



ahh, yes I agree with your approach. The only thing is that you don't have to divide the whole thing by also 1! and 1! because you're only required to divide by the repeating objects, which, in this case, are the 3 red cars.

I agree that the answer is A

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1033

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 07:05
I think the question is similar to

what is the number of words that can be formed from the word RRRBY

Total no. of letters = 5, so total ways of arranging them = 5!

But R is repeated 3 times, B one time and Y one time

so it is 5!/(3!*1!*1!) = 20
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1513

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 07:13
amitdgr wrote:
I think the question is similar to

what is the number of words that can be formed from the word RRRBY

Total no. of letters = 5, so total ways of arranging them = 5!

But R is repeated 3 times, B one time and Y one time

so it is 5!/(3!*1!*1!) = 20



well true, but if you have only 1 object, such as B and Y in your example, they're not really repeating. You will get the same answer when you only divide by objects that are repeating...what you said isn't wrong, but your equation can be a lot simpler by just sticking to objects that are only repeating. B and Y aren't really repeating because they are unique objects. In your example: you can just do 5!/3! and still have the same answer.

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1033

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 08:23
tarek99 wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
I think the question is similar to

what is the number of words that can be formed from the word RRRBY

Total no. of letters = 5, so total ways of arranging them = 5!

But R is repeated 3 times, B one time and Y one time

so it is 5!/(3!*1!*1!) = 20



well true, but if you have only 1 object, such as B and Y in your example, they're not really repeating. You will get the same answer when you only divide by objects that are repeating...what you said isn't wrong, but your equation can be a lot simpler by just sticking to objects that are only repeating. B and Y aren't really repeating because they are unique objects. In your example: you can just do 5!/3! and still have the same answer.


by explicitly showing 1! , I was just trying to be clear :)
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Re: Cars Permutation   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2008, 08:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.