Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [16]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Re: There is little correlation between CEO compensation and the [#permalink]
Quote:
dream21 wrote: The premise further explains about the positive correlation,i.e. increase in compensation will result in increase in performance.

where did u read this? the premise is using "hypothetical subjunctive"----->"If it were so, the companies that paid their CEOs the most would have highest growth in profits, revenue, and stock price"-----. This definitely does not mean a positive correlation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
I agree with Aditya. The point that there isn't a correlation between compensation and performance proves that no matter what the compensation is, the performance is likely to to be affected by that factor.
Hence, C

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
smit29may wrote: The point that there isn't a correlation between compensation and performance proves that no matter what the compensation is, the performance is likely to to be affected by that factor.

i guess u wanted to write: The point that there isn't a correlation between compensation and performance proves that no matter what the compensation is, the performance is NOT likely to to be affected by that factor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
There is little correlation between CEO compensation and the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMHO (C).

To begin with, let us understand that we are dealing with 6 sets of leaders.
1.CEO's (well-paid) who are not founders
2.CEO's (not well-paid) who are not founders
3.CEO's (well-paid) who are also founders.
4. CEO's (not well-paid) who are also founders.
5.Founders who are not CEO's.
6.Neither CEO’s nor founders.

Back to the question….

There is little correlation between CEO compensation and the company’s performance. If it were so, the companies that paid their CEOs the most would have highest growth in profits, revenue, and stock price. However, most of companies that have performed best in terms of profit, revenue, and stock price growth over the last 2 decades have been the ones that have been led by their founders.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage above?
A. None of the top performing companies over the past 2 decades have been led by CEO’s who are not founders of the company.
Incorrect. Passage states 'most' companies who have performed well have been led by founders, implying some top companies (at least one) have been led by those who are not founders (Set 1, 2 and 6), with a higher probability of these leaders belonging to sets 2 or 6 than set 1. The given statement would be justified only if the stimulus had enough data to explicitly prove that, of all those companies at the top not led by founders, all of the founders are not CEO’s (i.e. all top companies are led by leaders belonging to sets 3,4,5 and 6 only).
B. A CEO who is extremely well paid is probably not as much motivated since he/she does not expect to be compensated higher.
Incorrect. Out of scope. The fact that companies with highest paid CEO’s are not performing well need not be a function of CEO’s motivation and duty-boundedness only. Quite likely that these CEO’s are actually charged-up but other random factors are major deterrants.
C. A company that pays its CEO a very high compensation is equally likely to perform as well as or worse than a company that does not compensate its CEO as well.
Correct. Stimulus mentions that a poor correlations exists between CEO pay and company performance. At the same time, a good correlation exists between leaders who are founders and company performance. This implies that the combined probability of a leader of a high-performing company to belong to set 1 or 3 is definitely much lower than that of him belonging to sets 3 or 4 or 5.
D. CEOs who are also Founders of the company do not get paid as much as CEOs who are not.
Incorrect. Statement is comparing pay of set 1 and set 3 leaders. No information in the stimulus to conclude this statement as it is quite likely that both these sets of leaders are equally paid. Lacking evidence to the contrary, it is as much possible that CEO’s who are also founders are paid more than those who are not.
E. If a company is not led by a founder, it will not be a top performing company in the future.
Incorrect. Stimulus does not state that being a founder is a mandatory condition for a company to perform well. The stimulus merely demonstrates the findings as on today and in no way suggests that these findings are a reflection of what will happen in the future.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Please, specify the source of the question!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
man, I ignored the key word "likely" in C. Using POE, I can guess C be the right answer, but I chose a wrong option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: Great Lakes
GMAT 1: 660 Q37 V42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:
There is little correlation between CEO compensation and the company’s performance. If it were so, the companies that paid their CEOs the most would have highest growth in profits, revenue, and stock price. However, most of companies that have performed best in terms of profit, revenue, and stock price growth over the last 2 decades have been the ones that have been led by their founders.

A. None of the top performing companies over the past 2 decades have been led by CEO’s who are not founders of the company.
B. A CEO who is extremely well paid is probably not as much motivated since he/she does not expect to be compensated higher.
C. A company that pays its CEO a very high compensation is equally likely to perform as well as or worse than a company that does not compensate its CEO as well.
D. CEOs who are also Founders of the company do not get paid as much as CEOs who are not.
E. If a company is not led by a founder, it will not be a top performing company in the future.

Can a verbal expert pls help with this question?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Send PM
doeadoer wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

Can a verbal expert pls help with this question?

which part of the question that you get stuck? -> A & E are wrong. B and D is out of scope. Although it is hard to understand C correctly, but C is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
There is little correlation between CEO compensation and the [#permalink]
The reason why (D) can not be a right answer is that there could be a CEO who gets the highest payment, are a founder, and have performed best in terms of profit.

So (D) is "can be true"

Originally posted by bluetrain on 09 Oct 2017, 21:15.
Last edited by bluetrain on 09 Oct 2017, 21:21, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bluetrain wrote:
The reason why D can not be a right answer is that there could be a CEO who gets the highest payment, are a founder, and have performed best in terms of profit.

So (D) is "can be true"

since "the company" in D is not clear, I assume that D is out of scope if you get what I mean.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts