Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [60]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [8]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
General Discussion
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: There is nowhere in early American literature where the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as the novels of James Fenimore Cooper.

(A) There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as: Incorrect. It's too wordy and " Where" should refer to place. In this case, "in which" is preferred.
(B) In early American literature, nowhere is Jane Austen’s influence so apparent than in: Incorrect. Novels of James now becomes part of early American Literature. Changes meaning.
(C) It is nowhere more apparent in early American literature that Jane Austen was an influence as in: Incorrect. The focus of the sentence should be on Influence of Jane Austen while this sentence takes that focus away.
(D) Nowhere in early American literature is the influence of Jane Austen more apparent than in: Correct.
(E) Nowhere in early American literature is it more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than: Incorrect. Jane Austen had an influence incorrectly changes the meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Jp27 wrote:
There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as the novels of James Fenimore Cooper.

(A) There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as
(B) In early American literature, nowhere is Jane Austen’s influence so apparent than in
(C) It is nowhere more apparent in early American literature that Jane Austen was an influence as in
(D) Nowhere in early American literature is the influence of Jane Austen more apparent than in
(E) Nowhere in early American literature is it more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than

OA after some discussion.

This quest test your idioms knowledge.
it should be either 'more...than' or ' so .....that'. only option D and E have this construction. In option E, it has used 'had' which is not require.
Hence correct option is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Jp27 wrote:

(A) There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as : Nowhere and where redundant
(B) In early American literature, nowhere is Jane Austen’s influence so apparent than in
(C) It is nowhere more apparent in early American literature that Jane Austen was an influence as in
(D) Nowhere in early American literature is the influence of Jane Austen more apparent than in
(E) Nowhere in early American literature is it more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than

OA after some discussion.

"So apparent as to" is not unidiomatic but it is wrong in thIS context. (Comparison here)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
There is nowhere in early American literature where the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
While doing this question, it may be worthwhile to remember another similar problem that was doing the rounds in the 2006's and 2007's. The source is not clear. However, it seems that it emanated from the now disgraced 1000 series, which itself was a derivative of the official GMAT questions.

Nowhere in Prakta is the influence of modern European architecture more apparent than their government buildings.

(A) more apparent than their
(B) so apparent as their
(C) more apparent than in its
(D) so apparent than in their
(E) as apparent as it is
Ans : C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Quote:

"where" should refer to a place, it cannot logically refer to American literature.
A is out.
Quote:

so...than... is wrong.
Quote:

The subject of the sentence is " influence of Jane Austen " not " Jane Austen " herself.
C is out.
Quote:

Clean comparison.
Nowhere [ in early American literature is the influence of Jane Austen ] more apparent than [ in the novels of James Fenimore Cooper.

Quote:

Same error as in C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
hey MartyTargetTestPrep ReedArnoldMPREP - could you assist on B. The GMAT i thought was moving away from idioms, yet i got this on my mba#1 exam. can one eliminate B if you dont know the idiom.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
hey MartyTargetTestPrep ReedArnoldMPREP - could you assist on B. The GMAT i thought was moving away from idioms, yet i got this on my mba#1 exam. can one eliminate B if you dont know the idiom.

First, the practice tests at MBA.com are not *fully* up-to-date with modern test patterns. They don't get updated near as frequently as the actual tests (I don't even know the last time there was an overhaul to the practice tests).

Secondly, I suppose this is an idiom? But it's also just... definitional. "So" (when used like this) means "to an excessive amount, resulting in something" (as in, "I was so hungry that I ate two burritos"). Now, in colloquial speech we often leave out the second part and just use 'so' for emphasis meaning, basically, 'extremely' ("I was *so* hungry"), however on the GMAT that's too informal. B is kind of playing with that common usage.

Instead we should use "Nowhere was her influence as apparent as in _________" (if this was the true peak of the apparent-ness of her influence) or "Nowhere was her influence more apparent than in" (if it's possible in some other instances her influence was equally apparent, but nowhere did the apparent-ness of her influence exceed what it was in this instance).
VP
VP
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Secondly, I suppose this is an idiom? But it's also just... definitional. "So" (when used like this) means "to an excessive amount, resulting in something" (as in, "I was so hungry that I ate two burritos"). Now, in colloquial speech we often leave out the second part and just use 'so' for emphasis meaning, basically, 'extremely' ("I was *so* hungry"), however on the GMAT that's too informal. B is kind of playing with that common usage.

Hi ReedArnoldMPREP - on the blue font - is that acceptable on the GMAT ? I think the sentence above is acceptable because the "THAT" is playing the role of divider of the 2 clauses (clause 1 - I was so hungry) (clause 2 - I ate two burritos)

Now, i am more confused :(

So....that IS ACCEPTABLE on the GMAT

So, whats wrong with (B) then

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 18 Mar 2022, 15:52.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 18 Mar 2022, 16:21, edited 3 times in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:

Hi ReedArnoldMPREP - on the blue font - is that acceptable on the GMAT ? I think the sentence above is acceptable because the "THAT" is playing the role of divider of the 2 clauses (clause 1 - I was so hungry) (clause 2 - I ate two burritos)

Now, i am more confused :(

So....that IS ACCEPTABLE on the GMAT

So, whats wrong with (B) then

B says "so apparent *than*"

Not 'so apparent that' (and if it said 'so apparent that,' it would not make a complete thought. "Nowhere was her influence so apparent that the novels of James Fenimore Cooper."

A). What did the novels of James Fenimore Cooper *do*?

B). Even if they DID do something, the meaning would be "Jane Austen's influence was never high enough to make James Fenimore Cooper's novels [do something]."

The meaning is clearly "Jane Austen's influence was at its maximum in James fenimore Cooper's novels."

The meaning of 'so... that,' in this place, wouldn't work. You'd have to say something like, "The influence of Jane Austen in James Fenimore Cooper's novels was so apparent that nowhere else in early American Literature can match it."

But that is a completely different structure.
VP
VP
Send PM
Thanks ReedArnoldMPREP for responding

What are your thoughts on "so ...than" specifically ?

too me - all of these sentences seem right (in spoken english atleast)

Quote:
Nowhere is Alex more influential than in Canada.
Nowhere is Alex as influential as in Canada
Nowhere is Alex more influential as in Canada
Nowhere is Alex as influential than in Canada
Nowhere is Alex so influential than in Canada
Nowhere is Alex so influential as in in Canada
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

Quote:

Only the first two are correct.
VP
VP
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Quote:

Only the first two are correct.

Thanks ReedArnoldMPREP - is there a logical reason why More...as | as...than | so...than | so....as | are considered wrong or have you just memorized it ?

Also, just confirming -- other than the idiom so...than -- there is no other way to eliminate correct ?
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Thanks ReedArnoldMPREP - is there a logical reason why More...as | as...than | so...than | so....as | are considered wrong or have you just memorized it ?

Memorizing is probably easiest, I guess? But also consider what the words mean. 'As' is typically used to show comparisons of 'equality,' (as tall as, as fast as, etc.) so saying 'more...as' doesn't make sense, as 'more' is unequal. 'Than' is used for comparisons of difference, not equality, so saying 'as...than' doesn't make sense. 'So' is used to mean, when talking about 'amount,' 'an excessive amount resulting in something,' and not *really* to compare two things of different value (as 'than' is) or two things of the same value (as 'as' is), so "so...than" and "so...as" don't make sense.

Quote:
Also, just confirming -- other than the idiom so...than -- there is no other way to eliminate correct ?

I don't see any other reason to eliminate B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM

D.

(A) There is - nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is - so apparent as -
A`s meaning :- influence of Jane Austen || novels of James Fenimore Cooper.
Intended meaning : in early american literature || novels of ....

Wrong idiom : so X than Y

Wrong idiom : more X that Y

Intended meaning : in early american literature || novels of ....

(E) Nowhere in early American literature is it more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than : wrong meaning
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts