GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:49) correct 41% (01:56) wrong based on 323 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet market, which is tied to the size of the population. Most who purchase carpet do so only once or twice, first in their twenties or thirties, and then perhaps again in their fifties or sixties. Thus as the population ages, companies producing carpet will be able to gain market share in the carpet market only through purchasing competitors, and not through more aggressive marketing.

Which one of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion above?

A. Two of the three mergers in the industry’s last ten years led to a decline in profits and revenues for the newly merged companies.

B. Most of the major carpet producers market other floor coverings as well.

C. Most established carpet producers market several different brand names and varieties, and there is no remaining niche in the market for new brands to fill.

D. Price reductions, achieved by cost-cutting in production, by some of the dominant firms in the carpet market are causing other producers to leave the market altogether.

E. The carpet market is unlike most markets in that consumers are becoming increasingly resistant to new patterns and styles.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D.

D provides an alternate way for companies to gain market share and hence casts doubt on the argument's conclusion.

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 11:30
HI Souvik,

IMO, C or A.

The conclusion is ... Carpets producting companies can only get a market share when they merge. Agressive marketing does ont yield profits.

To break the conclusion, the aim will be either to say, ' Simple marketing can reap lots of profits' Or 'Mergers will not be useful'

My thought process.

B: Out of scope

D: Does not break the conclusion.

E: Customer choice is out of scope.

A: 2 of the 3 mergers have failed: Mergers have failed. We cannot standardise somethng that happend for 3 companies to the whole industry.

C: Most established carpet producers sell various brands but there is no niche; Hence there will not be any use in merging with other companies.

Please let me know whether this is correct.

souvik101990 wrote:
There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet market, which is tied to the size of the population. Most who purchase carpet do so only once or twice, first in their twenties or thirties, and then perhaps again in their fifties or sixties. Thus as the population ages, companies producing carpet will be able to gain market share in the carpet market only through purchasing competitors, and not through more aggressive marketing.

Which one of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion above?

A. Two of the three mergers in the industry’s last ten years led to a decline in profits and revenues for the newly merged companies.

C. Most established carpet producers market several different brand names and varieties, and there is no remaining niche in the market for new brands to fill.

D. Price reductions, achieved by cost-cutting in production, by some of the dominant firms in the carpet market are causing other producers to leave the market altogether.

E. The carpet market is unlike most markets in that consumers are becoming increasingly resistant to new patterns and styles.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
shriramvelamuri wrote:
HI Souvik,

IMO, C or A.

The conclusion is ... Carpets producting companies can only get a market share when they merge. Agressive marketing does ont yield profits.

To break the conclusion, the aim will be either to say, ' Simple marketing can reap lots of profits' Or 'Mergers will not be useful'

My thought process.

B: Out of scope

D: Does not break the conclusion.

E: Customer choice is out of scope.

A: 2 of the 3 mergers have failed: Mergers have failed. We cannot standardise somethng that happend for 3 companies to the whole industry.

C: Most established carpet producers sell various brands but there is no niche; Hence there will not be any use in merging with other companies.

Please let me know whether this is correct.

souvik101990 wrote:

Hi shriramvelamuri,
A states something that happened 10 years back. Does this warrant the fact that it might recur?? I dont think so, hence, A is ruled out.
As for C, most established carpet producers market under several brands. This does not affect the conclusion. To weaken the conclusion we need to say that "Carpet producing companies can gain a market share NOT through merging, BUT through aggressive marketing."
Option D does exactly that; When other producers are forced to leave the market, there's no room for a merger and dominant firms are reducing prices substantially, which is aggressive marketing. Hence, D. Hope that was helpful. :)
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 11:28

A. Two of the three mergers in the industry’s last ten years led to a decline in profits and revenues for the newly merged companies. -we are not worried about the profits

B. Most of the major carpet producers market other floor coverings as well. -the argument is only about carpet market

C. Most established carpet producers market several different brand names and varieties, and there is no remaining niche in the market for new brands to fill. -this doesn't explain the market share of the market players.

D. Price reductions, achieved by cost-cutting in production, by some of the dominant firms in the carpet market are causing other producers to leave the market altogether. -Correct. So there is another reason (cost cutting) that might help in improving the market share of a company.

E. The carpet market is unlike most markets in that consumers are becoming increasingly resistant to new patterns and styles. -out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Re: There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 11:28

There is relatively little room for growth in the overall carpet

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap