GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2014
Posts: 61
This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 06:45
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:05) correct 43% (01:18) wrong based on 261 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the popular hygiene product company's expenses, a greater percentage than it was in any previous fiscal year.

a. a greater percentage than it was
b. a greater percentage than
c. a greater percentage than they have been
d. which is greater than was so
e. which is greater than it has been

_________________
Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 74
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 07:47
TARGET730 wrote:
This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the popular hygiene product company's expenses, a greater percentage than it was in any previous fiscal year.

a. a greater percentage than it was
b. a greater percentage than
c. a greater percentage than they have been
d. which is greater than was so
e. which is greater than it has been


It seems to be C, !!!

As Comparison is between advertisement costs of this year with that of previous year ...
B seems to compare percentage of popular hygiene product company's expenses...which is not the motive of the sentence !!!

Plz share the source of this problem

Regards
LS
_________________
G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 635
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 08:06
B seems best: a greater percentage than

what is the source?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 112
Location: Hong Kong
Schools: Mannheim
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 13:55
1
lastshot wrote:
TARGET730 wrote:
This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the popular hygiene product company's expenses, a greater percentage than it was in any previous fiscal year.

a. a greater percentage than it was
b. a greater percentage than
c. a greater percentage than they have been
d. which is greater than was so
e. which is greater than it has been


It seems to be C, !!!

As Comparison is between advertisement costs of this year with that of previous year ...
B seems to compare percentage of popular hygiene product company's expenses...which is not the motive of the sentence !!!

Plz share the source of this problem

Regards
LS


no, for answer C "they" is not clearly linked to our comparison of the percentage. First of all, "they" can be linked to advertisement costs or company's expenses. We want to compare the percentage, which would be "it", not "they". Choice B clearly compares the percentages. Also "have been" is not the correct tense here. We compare a percentage figure of last year, which was valid in the past and now is not valid anymore because we are in the current year, with a percentage figure of the present.
Let's assume we are in October 2014 and compare our percentage with our percentage of last year. Than the percentage of last year is not valid anymore until 01.01.2014. And not until October 2014, which is the present.

I hope I could help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 11
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 21:58
Hi can anyone help me with why option A is wrong
Couldn't "it" refer to "percentage"?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Posts: 51
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 07:41
Pls explain the difference between option A and B
Not able to get the answer
NUS School Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 1030
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 08:38
devavrat wrote:
Pls explain the difference between option A and B
Not able to get the answer


In A, you have IT, which doesn't have a clear antecedent. you are comparing accounting costs, which is plural. Hence A is wrong.
_________________
Press +1 Kudos If my post helps!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Posts: 51
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 10:04
Quote:
In A, you have IT, which doesn't have a clear antecedent. you are comparing accounting costs, which is plural. Hence A is wrong.

Are we comparing the percentage or the advertising costs?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 10:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

This year, advertising costs accounted for more than 5 percent of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne