GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2010, 23:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:12) correct 41% (01:11) wrong based on 1115 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term temperature data are an inadequate means of predicting long-term trends and point out that the scientific community remains divided on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.

(A) on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does

(B) on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have

(C) as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did

(D) over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have

(E) over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2010, 17:34
My take is E

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does. - whether and if in a same sentence , already suspicious
B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have. - meaning is changed , here the warming will occur for sure , also warming that occurs and the impact are 2 different things , here both are mentioned as one part

C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did. - or is a problem here, also if

D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have. same or is used

E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have.

Always tag your question

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2010, 04:45
+1 to E. I do not see how A can be right since it uses "will it" instead of "it will." Seems to me like "will it" should only be used when posing a question (I am sure there are some exceptions). I understand the skepticism with "would" in E, however, I did not like any of the other answers. I chose E because I thought it was less incorrect. :?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 00:45
I did answer A originally, but let me explain why E is right.

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
'will it' is used in a question. Definitely wrong.
If this answer wrote 'it will' instead of 'will it', this would have been the correct answer.

B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have.
'whether~ and impact' is not parallel.

C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did.
'on' or 'over' is preferred.

D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have.
'or' should be 'and.'
'whether~ and impact' is not parallel.

E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have.
The change of tense from will to would is justified as you can consider this a case of subjunctive mood.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 00:46
Pkit wrote:
seekmba wrote:
I agree with A.

would is incorrect in this context. Also, other options are awkward because of 'divided as to' and 'divided over'

I could not find in Oxford dictionary the didiom divided on.

Both 'decide on' and 'decide over' are correct.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Knewton GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2010, 08:56
@jj22l, you're right that the construction "will it" should be used to ask a question, and isn't appropriate as it appears in answer choice A.

@scheol79, you're right that answer choice E is an unusual example of the subjunctive mood, which can be used to express hypothetical situations. You'll often see "would" used to express the result of a hypothetical condition:

If the two companies merged, the resulting corporation would be unstoppable.
If I were richer, I would buy a yacht.

Not sure what the source of this question is -- to be honest, none of these choices is really ideal, and as I mentioned the use of the subjunctive in this context is a bit unusual. But E is the best of the bunch.

Hope that helps!

Jen Rugani
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Aug 2013, 15:23
Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term temperature data are an inadequate means of predicting long-term trends and point out that the scientific community remains divided on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have
C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did
D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have
E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have

In choice E, are "whether significant...occur" and "what impact...have" noun phrases? According to the structure of the sentence, they must be noun phrases because they come after a preposition (over), and only noun and noun phrases can follow a preposition.
However, both don't seem noun phrases:
Can "whether + clause" be a noun phrase?
Also, I cannot identify what kind of structure "what impact it would have" is. It seems a clause. Is "what" working as a pronoun in this sentence? :s
Finally, they don't seem parallel at all, but "AND" requires parallelism.

Please, your comments.

Originally posted by danzig on 05 Aug 2013, 14:10.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Aug 2013, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
Merging similar topics.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 22:22
danzig wrote:
In choice E, are "whether significant...occur" and "what impact...have" noun phrases?

No they are clauses: Noun clauses. Prepositions can be followed by clauses. For example:

The jury found him guilty for what he did.
- The preposition for followed by noun clause what he did.

An example from OG-13, #34:

Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its survival depends on whether it can broaden its membership and leave its cramped quarters for a site where it can store and exhibit its more than 12,000 artifacts.
- The preposition on followed by noun clause whether it can broaden its membership.....

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 11:19
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

could you please explain why E is better then A?

and how will and would parallel in option E.

Please clarify this.

Regards
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 00:47
PathFinder007 wrote:
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

could you please explain why E is better then A?

and how will and would parallel in option E.

Please clarify this.

Regards

Hi PathFinder007,

I'd be happpy to chime in here. Those enticed by A generally subconciously auto-correct this part of the option:
on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
The "will it" isn't even so much a matter of grammar as it is a flat-out typo.

Now to E (cutting the fluff):
The scientific community remains divided over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have.
We're dealing with the subjunctive mood verb tense here in this story since we're taking about the fallout if significant global warming were to occur.

In the subjunctive form, we use "would" to introduce a hypothetical/possible outcome. We wouldn't "would" to intoduce a hypothetical cause. For example: (Wrong: If Krantz would be elected, the ordinance could be revisited. Correct: If Krantz were elected, the ordinance could be revisited.)
Alternatively in this question, the "will" is introducing the hypothetical causal occurance. That's why the "will" here in E is accurate, albeit surprisingly so.

For variety, let me offer a similar example:
Under the new leadership, there is uncertainty as to whether there will be a tariff on Mondola, and what impact that policy could have on international relations.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 07:51
hmm... i like (a) best, but only if it was supposed to say 'it will', and you mis-typed it as 'will it'. if the version you've typed is indeed faithful to the original, then, well, all the choices suck.

reasons:
- 'whether...' and 'what impact...' are parallel.
- the meaning is correct.
- the tenses are parallel: 'will occur' || 'will have'.

choice b:
- the original sentence clearly indicates that scientists don't know whether warming will occur in the first place. this wording, though, assumes that warming will occur; according to this sentence, the only thing in doubt is the extent of such warming.
- 'whether...' is not parallel to 'impact'.

choice c:
- 'as to' is dicey.
- 'or' should be 'and' (because they're wondering about both questions).
- past tense 'did' is inappropriate.

choice d:
- 'or' should be 'and'.
- 'whether...' isn't parallel to 'the impact'.

choice e:
- tense inconsistency: 'will occur' isn't parallel to 'would have'. moreover, 'would have' isn't appropriate for the consequences of something that hasn't even happened yet.

if choice a actually has the original wording posted at the beginning of this thread ('will it' instead of 'it will'), then it's definitely wrong. 'will it' is only ok in the context of a question ('will it rain tomorrow?'), and can't be used as a noun phrase.

process of elimination:
first, i hope it's clear that we want AND, not OR. according to the context of the problem, the scientific community is divided on both of these issues (you don't get a choice between them), so 'and' makes more sense than 'or'.

that leaves choices b and e.

use PARALLELISM to resolve that dilemma:
choice b uses whether... and the impact in parallel.
choice e uses whether... and what impact... in parallel.
thus, choice e has better parallelism.
(incidentally, the same parallelism issue can also be used to get rid of answers c and d, the ones containing 'or')

hope that helps.

we can justify 'would' here by saying that it's a case of the subjunctive mood, which isn't often used in contexts like this one. they're using 'would' instead of 'will' because the occurrence whose consequences are being considered is hypothetical.

BY Ron
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 03:47
bakfed wrote:

(A) on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does

(B) on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have

(C) as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did

(D) over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have

divided over is better, keep D and E,
D is out because it is A & B and not A or B, so E
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 22:24

will occur Vs would have ? really ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 22:24

Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap