GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 09:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:13) correct 50% (01:20) wrong based on 290 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that time, he lowered his cholesterol by 100 points and lost nearly 85 pounds. He says he feels better than he has in years. As a result, he is writing a book which says that everyone should stop eating wheat products. He says people are not made to eat wheat and that giving it up is the key to losing weight and being healthier.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument above?

A Wheat is found in nearly all processed foods.

B Ron has a family history of celiac disease, which is an extreme sensitivity to wheat gluten.

C Some studies have shown that a lower carbohydrate diet can help people lose weight and feel better.

D Ron runs three miles every morning.

E Ron used to be a vegetarian but has resumed eating meat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 09:49
IMO B.

D is also close but it is incomplete and does not directly attack the fact that "giving up wheat is the 'key' to lose weight".

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 10:56
Definitely B and D are contenders
But B says he is gluten sensitive hence omitted wheat but then why did he lose weight?

If we take D, it clearly clarifies that giving up wheat will not result in weight loss

May be I missing something to see B as the final choice

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos please if explanation helped
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't stop when you are tired , stop when you are DONE .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 01:09
akshata19 wrote:
Definitely B and D are contenders
But B says he is gluten sensitive hence omitted wheat but then why did he lose weight?

If we take D, it clearly clarifies that giving up wheat will not result in weight loss

May be I missing something to see B as the final choice

Posted from my mobile device

Hi !!

What I feel is that since celiac disease leads to obesity, Ron would have given up wheat that promotes the disease and now has lost weight. But, he misinterprets the fact that since he has lost weight by giving up wheat, wheat is is the key factor that causes obesity. Thus, to weaken the argument, option B gives an alternative reason as to why giving up wheat has worked for him but that doesn't mean that wheat is the 'key' cause of obesity and that by giving it up everyone can lose weight.

However, option D being a close contender still conveys the possibility that running plus giving up wheat together could work and it doesn't directly weaken the argument that "giving up wheat leads to weight loss".
The attack is not direct.

Thus, I believe B is the best option and it more strongly weakens the argument.

Thanks !! ?

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE: Web Development (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 10:21
My conclusion : Argument says X(giving up wheat) is reason for causing Z(weight reduction).
Option D says Rom did Y(running). By adding option D to argument, we can weak it by saying that Y is also reason for Z.

According to OA, conclusion is "Rom gave up wheat because it is the cause for weight".
Option B tells that Rom gave wheat because of other reason(sensitivity to wheat).

Which one is the conclusion of the argument?

Thanks,
Yuvaraj.

-Yuvaraj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stop searching someone to motivate you.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 22:44
IMO D

the reason why he gave up eating wheat is not important imo. He could have given it up by choice or due to celiac.

However, D clearly indicates that he lost weight not becuase of abstinence but becuase he runs 3 miles every morning.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct. CR seems to be my achilles heel.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 23:25
coolpj001 wrote:
IMO D

the reason why he gave up eating wheat is not important imo. He could have given it up by choice or due to celiac.

However, D clearly indicates that he lost weight not becuase of abstinence but becuase he runs 3 miles every morning.

Yes I was also thinking on similar lines
Bcz celiac disease causes overweight or not is an external knowledge

May be we are having trouble identifying the argument
Experts please help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 01:06
Not convinced with the OA.

Even if he has family history, there is no mention of the chances of the disease showing up, or he being aware of this fact, or the the disease showing its effects on him three years back. There is no relation established here. Whereas running definitely has to do more with weight loss than just a knowledge of family history of some disease (strictly staying within the scope of the facts given in the argument that has not given any information about the fact celiac disease=obesity). Even if he has a family history, does the disease almost always show? or did he become aware of the fact 3 years back? There is certainly a missing step for the OA to fit in!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 01:23
akshata19 wrote:
coolpj001 wrote:
IMO D

Experts please help

He runs 3 miles doesn't mean he started running in those years, it is his daily habit, so he used to run even before leaving eating wheat and hence will not weaken the argument

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 08:16
Between B and D, B doesn't tell us how reducing wheat helped in weight loss,
Ans is D because it gives us another reason for his loss of weight. Which might not be true in others case. Thus the argument fails
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 22:22
[quote="ArunMunthala"][quote="akshata19"][quote="coolpj001"]IMO D

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct. CR seems to be my achilles heel.[/quote]

Experts please help[/quote]
He runs 3 miles doesn't mean he started running in those years, it is his daily habit, so he used to run even before leaving eating wheat and hence will not weaken the argument

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=89028]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url][/quote]

Yes you are correct.
Reread the whole thing 5 times
Got it now

the sentence 'He says he feels better than he has in years.'
This is after stopping wheat

In 'Running' option the period is not given. It is incomplete. Whether he started running when he stopped wheat is not given so yes it is a B

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 17:43
I dont agree with this one. I would have chosen B had it said the diseases causes weight gain. This disease could have easily been called blinkatonic disease (made up but what if it meant gluten causes excessive blinking).
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 11:44
chesstitans wrote:
Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that time, he lowered his cholesterol by 100 points and lost nearly 85 pounds. He says he feels better than he has in years. As a result, he is writing a book which says that everyone should stop eating wheat products. He says people are not made to eat wheat and that giving it up is the key to losing weight and being healthier.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument above?

B Ron has a family history of celiac disease, which is an extreme sensitivity to wheat gluten.
D Ron runs three miles every morning.

(B) vs (D)

(B) States he runs three miles every morning- Might be its his daily routine now, but what about the cause of cholesterol ad weight loss 3 years ago ? Did he started running 3 years ago ?

(D) The highlighted part suggest : Giving up wheat = Key to loosing weight !!! It's not the case for Ron, as he started feels better after quitting wheat products as he was sensitive to wheat gluten.

Thus (B) states that sensitivity to Wheat Gluten (For Ron) was the main cause for Ron's feeling Better/Worse (for his case), which may or may not be the same for every one....

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that &nbs [#permalink] 16 May 2018, 11:44

Three years ago, Ron gave up eating anything with wheat in it. In that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap