Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [10]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: Through his work, he inspired many to study the brain, which led to [#permalink]
Rocket7 wrote:
u1983 Hey bud. I like the way you explain by first writing the analysis and then the reasoning for each answer choice.

here are my doubts:

We do not have an antecedent for He and in this sentence, I am assuming he is acting as a subject. So these constructions are acceptable?

Also following the sentence structure of Option B:

prepositional phrase, Main IC, Verb-ing modifier

thanks for your input.

Hello Friend.... I personally would have liked to see a NOUN, In place of he . But in the Q-stem as he was in the non-underlined portion I refrained from questioning.
Yes..... we have to take he as subject .
Although I don't think this is something we can see in the exam , but only experts can confirm.
Structure of B looks fine to me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Through his work, he inspired many to study the brain, which led to [#permalink]
"which" in choices refer to brain here . brain does not led to discovery but the study of brain is so
Option a,d and E aRe wrong

C-with usage of comma here maKes incomplete sentence " discovery of anatomy" is awkward

B correctly conveys meaning and also best choice

Give kudos if it helps

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
devikeerthansr wrote:
Through his work, he inspired many to study the brain, which led to the discovery of most of what we know now about the anatomy of the human brain and its functions.

A.which led to the discovery of most what we know now about
B.leading to the discovery of most of what we know now about
C.leading to most of what we know now, the discovery of
D.which led to discovering most of what is now known about
E.which had led to the discovery of what most of us know now of

Source:Crackverbal

Dear Moderator,
Found this question in Subject verb agreement section, seems improperly tagged, can we tag it as modifiers instead?
Hope you will look into this , Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Through his work, he inspired many to study the brain, which led to the discovery of most of what we know now about the anatomy of the human brain and its functions.

A.which led to the discovery of most what we know now about
- the relative clause ''which....'' incorrectly modifies 'the brain'.
B.leading to the discovery of most of what we know now about - has no error. hence, (B) is the right answer choice.

C.leading to most of what we know now, the discovery of - (C) introduces the following structure "..., he inspired many to study the brain,...., the discovery of ...." the last clause acts as a noun modifier that illogically modifies ''now''.
D.which led to discovering most of what is now known about - the relative clause ''which....'' incorrectly modifies 'the brain'.
E.which had led to the discovery of what most of us know now of - the relative clause ''which....'' incorrectly modifies 'the brain'.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts