GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Today s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Today s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jun 2018, 05:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:45) correct 46% (01:08) wrong based on 1203 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their production history.

(A) small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their

(B) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their

(C) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in

(D) more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their

(E) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

Originally posted by karthikb on 22 Oct 2005, 05:10.
Last edited by hazelnut on 09 Jun 2018, 05:00, edited 4 times in total.
Topic Merged
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: Today s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2012, 12:14
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now
than at any time in their
production history.

A.small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in
D.more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their
E.more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

The sentence, as stands, is confusing. It implies that the 'small cars' are now more fuel efficient than they were in the past. That is the manufactures took an old small car and said, "hey let's make this more efficient." Clearly, however, the small cars today are different from those in the past. Notice, how I use the word 'those.' It refers to the other 'small cars' in the past. For this reason, we can omit (A), (B).

Notice, how (D) and (E) change the meaning of the original sentence. Both imply that manufacturers are making a great number of fuel efficient cars, and not cars that are more fuel efficient. To illustrate, saying that you have increased the number of cars that get 50 km/gallon is different from saying that you now make more fuel efficient cars that can get. 60km/gallon.

This leaves us with (C).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Today s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Nov 2017, 11:12
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their production history.

A) small cars are more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in
D) more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their
E) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

A) The "are" is unnecessary, and "at any time" should read "at any other time." Otherwise it is an invalid comparison, since now is also a time. That's like saying "Sachin Tendulkar is better than any cricketer," which of course should read, "Sachin Tendulkar is better than any other cricketer," because he is not better than himself!

B) Again, "at any time" should read "at any other time."

C) Correct. "those" is an elegant way of referencing "small cars," and it also preserves the focus and meaning of the original.

D) We cannot compare a verb to a noun. In other words, we cannot compare how many cars are made to the cars themselves.

E) Sounds pretty good other than the "at any time" vs. "at any other time" issue that we should already be aware of, thanks to answers A/B vs. answers C/D. You could also argue that it shifts the meaning slightly from the original, changing the focus from small cars that are fuel efficient to fuel-efficient cars that are small.

You could also argue that both the answer choices with the word "now" (A and E) are redundant because of the reference to "Today's technology."

When confused by a tough SC, don't forget to compare and contrast your answers for inspiration. Omitting the "other" from this expression is a common mistake, but you can catch this mistake by paying close attention to the small differences in each answer choice.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 24 May 2016, 12:09.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 28 Nov 2017, 11:12, edited 8 times in total.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2010, 05:53
The first thing to note in this case is that there is a comparative degree of comparison (more than …., any other thing)involved. One should not miss the word other in such comparisons in order to distinguish the one compared with the others. As per that norm, we can straight away reject, A. B and E. Between C and D, D suffers from a logical predication in that it is more fuel efficiency that is discussed rather than a greater number of more fuel efficient cars. Secondly, the pronoun there is rather ambiguous with more than one plausible antecedent such as the manufactures or the small cars.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2011, 11:10
This can get complex, if you so desire. However, just limit it to two aspects.
1. ‘Their’ has no clear antecedent. We cannot say, whether 'their' is the possessive pronoun of producers or small cars. So drop A, B, and D.
2. When in comparisons between two things, use of 'other' is a customary adjective for excluding the one compared from the rest of others. Note that choice E does not use the term ‘other’. So C is the choice.

Alternately, we can also see whether the comparison is 1)between cars of more fuel efficiency and of the current efficiency or 2) between more number of and the same number of small cars. Whichever way you take, you will finally land in C

Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:32
az780 wrote:
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now
than at any time in their
production history.
A.small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in
D.more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their
E.more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

Difference between "any time" and "any other time".
Any time- includes the current time as well so the comparison may include the contemporary cars as well. Incorrect
Any other time- includes the time period apart from today's time or current period. Sounds fine

Comparison has to be made between "small cars of today" and "small cars of other time".

D and E are ambigous in that they may intend to say "more number of fuel efficient cars" or "more fuel efficient small cars"

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:52
For those who are short-timed on the floor, here is a quickie;

‘Their’ is simply ambiguous, unable to pinpoint whether it stands for cars or manufactures; drop A, B and D on that count; Between B and E; note that we have to use the term any other when we compare two things. So E is out; C wins

Narendran +9198845 44509

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 19:55
gmatser1 wrote:
Can someone explain why E is wrong?

Hi,
two reasons why E is wrong..

5) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

1) more fuel efficient small cars means different from 'small cars that are more fuel efficient'...
the comparison shifts from fuel efficiency to more number of fuel efficient small cars, illogically..

2) now is also a time in the production history..
so at any time should change to at any other time..

hope it helped

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 14:29
qingping wrote:
what does "those" stand for ?

"Those" stands for "small cars". Small cars manufactured today are more fuel efficient than small cars (those) at any other time.
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 04:47
sayantanc2k wrote:
qingping wrote:

"Those" stands for "small cars". Small cars manufactured today are more fuel efficient than small cars (those) at any other time.

sayantanc2k, does answer B has a correct referral "they"? I am stuck with they + verv vs. those
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 06:30
manlog wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
qingping wrote:

sayantanc2k, does answer B has a correct referral "they"? I am stuck with they + verv vs. those

"Those" is preferred in this case, because a "different copy" of "small cars" is required. We are not referring to the same "small cars that are more fuel efficient", but to a "different copy" of the "small cars", which were produced at any other time in production history. "They" could be used if we were referring the same cars. Another example may make the mistake more visible:

On the bridge I saw cars that are bigger than those in front of the house.... right
On the bridge I saw cars that are bigger than they are in front of the house....... wrong.

Therefore answer B is wrong.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:12
Top Contributor

(A) small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their

(B) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their

(C) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in

(D) more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their

(E) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

Without burning much midnight oil, simply reject A, B, and D, for the awful ambiguity of the pronoun 'their' and limit oneself to just considering C and E.
The focus of new technology is not more numbers but better performance. It is no great USP to say that I make one million cars using my new technology and get 15 kilometers to a liter Vs that I may make only 100,000 cars but still can give 20 kilometers to a liter.
This is the one reason C scores over E.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 08 Jul 2017, 23:35.
Last edited by daagh on 10 Jul 2017, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 04:43
I am really confused between C and E, please help
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 10:53

(C) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in - Notice any other time here. Also 'those' correctly refers to small cars. Comparison is between small cars using today's technology vs small cars of the past.

(E) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in - Here comparison is between today's fuel efficient small cars vs fuel efficient small cars of the past and the present. This is illogical.

kunalkhanna wrote:
I am really confused between C and E, please help
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 01:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Today s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jun 2018, 01:50

Today s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap