GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

#Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4464
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 02:53
2
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:16) correct 63% (01:37) wrong based on 291 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

"Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized by an inability to focus on any topic for a prolonged period of time, and is especially common among children five to ten years old. A recent study has shown that 95 percent of seven-year-old children with this condition watch, on average, more than seven hours of television a day. It is therefore very likely that James, age seven, suffers from this condition, since he watches roughly eight hours of television a day.

The argument above is flawed because it

(A) cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question

(B) fails to indicate the chances of having this condition among seven-year-old children who watch more than 7 hours of television a day

(C) limits the description of the symptoms of this condition to an inability to focus for a prolonged period of time

(D) fails to consider the possibility that James may be among the 5 percent of children who do not watch more than 7 hours of television a day

(E) does not allow for other causes of this condition besides television watching

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1132
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 23:44
3
"Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized by an inability to focus on any topic for a prolonged period of time, and is especially common among children five to ten years old. A recent study has shown that 95 percent of seven-year-old children with this condition watch, on average, more than seven hours of television a day. It is therefore very likely that James, age seven, suffers from this condition, since he watches roughly eight hours of television a day.

The argument above is flawed because it

A. cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question
here is a correlation vs causation issue. While it can be true in reality that TV may induce some focus problems here the issue os of correlation not of partial or direct causation.

B. fails to indicate the chances of having this condition among seven-year-old children who watch more than 7 hours of television a day
People with inability may accidentally watch more TV but that does not indicate or decide their condition.
So whoever watches more TV may not necessarily have the same condition.


C. limits the description of the symptoms of this condition to an inability to focus for a prolonged period of time........there is no mention of symptoms here in the argument.

D. fails to consider the possibility that James may be among the 5 percent of children who do not watch more than 7 hours of television a day...........it is mentioned that he watches it for 8hr on average per day so even if he belongs to remaining 5% this does not define the flaw in the conclusion based on his inability.

E. does not allow for other causes of this condition besides television watching..............this does not explain the inherent flaw.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 167
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 21:13
1
My 2 cents:
Assume, # of 7 years old kids = 1000
# of 7 years old kids with "Inability to concentrate" = 100
95% of there kids (i.e. 95 kids) watch > 7 hrs of TV
other 5 may with "Inability to concentrate" may watch > or < 7 hrs of TV

But other 900 kids may watch > or < 7 hrs of TV but still MAY NOT suffer from "Inability to concentrate"
So it is flawed to draw conclusions based on such a small sample size of observed kids.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 280
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: #Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 02:38
To me B seems to be the best choice;

Unless we know the general probabilities for 7 years olds that watch more than 7 hours of TV each day to suffer from attention deficiency we cannot judge the chances of the given child to be affected.

There could be only 5% of 7 years old suffering from that condition, hence even if our given child engages in activities that hind to suffering from the condition, there is still a massive chance that he belongs to the "other 95%", regardless of his behavior.
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Education)
Re: #Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 10:05
To summarize the argument in simpler words: 95% of 7-year olds with condition A watch television more than 7 hours a day. A 7-year old boy watches TV more than 7 hours a day. Therefore, he has condition A.

We can transform this argument into a simpler one to make the flaw more obvious:

95% of Italians eat pasta. James eats pasta. Therefore, James is an Italian.

We then need to find the answer choice that describes this flaw. B is super-convoluted, but it does exactly that.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: #Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 10:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

#Top150 CR: "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.