GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jul 2018, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 5138
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 00:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:53) correct 64% (01:51) wrong based on 374 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market that one has doubts about the company’s ability to push the product against other giants.’ more expensive though quality products. Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing. Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price. But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1712
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 09:17
Price of Macro system's decongestors - Cheaper than other manufacturers
Other manufacturers decongestors are quality products and expensive.
Clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price.

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation - Correct - Clients may think that the product's quality is low due to cheap pricing and may stop buying the decongestors.

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit - Incorrect - Out of scope

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect - Incorrect - Out of scope

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets - Incorrect - We can not infer this as the performance of the decongestors is not stated in the argument.

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits - Incorrect - Out of scope

In my opinion, answer is A
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Posts: 208
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 11:57
I think it is B.

"But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market." and (I asked myself, "How they r so confident?")
"Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit." - logically follow each other and this is supported by "Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing."

A may be true, but it is not a must, I think.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 10:25
I think the answer should be B because the argument says that the company is sure to make a big dent. On the other hand A is not certain to be true. It states just the assumption of people.
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3622
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 11:50
ShivaniAgrawal wrote:
I think the answer should be B because the argument says that the company is sure to make a big dent. On the other hand A is not certain to be true. It states just the assumption of people.


IMHO

Quote:
Dent = have an adverse effect on; diminish.


Thus, option (A) seems plausible.

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 May 2017
Posts: 226
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 12:02
Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market that one has doubts about the company’s ability to push the product against other giants.’ more expensive though quality products. Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing. Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price. But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market

The key to me here is the blue highlighted part, the argument has said it in certainty that some clients will find it difficult to believe so we need to capitalise this info.

Remove the answer choices which tries to explain the situation that we are not told to do so , its not an evaluate the argument type.

We have been asked to find a choice which supports the above given claim?

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation : Yup - This goes with some clients mentioned in the highlighted part

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit : No were the manufacturing volume was mentioned: Unnecessary outside info

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect - we are not evaluating the situation here

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets : No where performance is compared

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits - Are we trying to endorse Macro system? Its not our interest
_________________

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 108
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 20:50
This sort of question, while helpful, is one of the reasons to focus on GMAT prep/OG for practice. The prompt lacks clarity. A is definitely true if the clients are right and B would be true if the Macro system is right. The question itself is not hard, for the discerning candidate anyway. Therefore, those who have chosen B should take heart, however, A states the obvious which is clearly correct.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 108
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 20:55
Abhishek009 wrote:
ShivaniAgrawal wrote:
I think the answer should be B because the argument says that the company is sure to make a big dent. On the other hand A is not certain to be true. It states just the assumption of people.


IMHO

Quote:
Dent = have an adverse effect on; diminish.


Thus, option (A) seems plausible.


Hey Abhishek,

While A is a correct option, I disagree that dent=diminish in this context. The dent described here pointed to the fact that Macro would compete and gain customers in the market, this is supported by the word "but" after the clients' concern and before the company's assertion.

Best,
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Posts: 7
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 00:01
I don't really get why "A" would be the correct answer here. "B" is more plausible.

Considering A and B:
A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation - What is the basis for loss of reputation?

B. Macro System???s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit. - Explains how Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market in spite of their remarkably low prices
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 337
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 00:40
1
jaston wrote:
I don't really get why "A" would be the correct answer here. "B" is more plausible.

Considering A and B:
A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation - What is the basis for loss of reputation?

B. Macro System???s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit. - Explains how Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market in spite of their remarkably low prices


the question is that one has to choose that option that is supported by he info given in argument and i don't get that why people preferring B when there is nothing about large volume? when an option depends on the info given in the argument then anything apart from given info is wrong...For this reason B, C and D are out and E is too extreme to be an answer. So it should be A
_________________

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 05:03
1
souvik101990 wrote:
Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market that one has doubts about the company’s ability to push the product against other giants.’ more expensive though quality products. Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing. Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price. But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits



The reason why most of the people are getting wrong is that they are not reading the question stem properly. I too made this silly error first time. I vaguely looked at the question stem and assumed that this is a strengthen question. But, actually its a conclusion question. Wordings of the question stem are such that you will infer them differently than intended, moreover, you will not get confused. If you infer a question stem differently and also not get confused, then you will definitely get any CR question wrong. Don't take question stem for granted.

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit
Where it is written that Macro system is successful or will get successful.

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect
Definitely out of the scope.

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets.
Is there any research or data that shows that Macro System’s decongestors can perform better. Macro System’s decongestors may fail miserable also. God knows.

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits.
No mention of ethics or code of conduct practiced in Macro System. May compromise later once they taste the money of profit.

hence only remaining option is A.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2018
Posts: 14
Location: India
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 08:47
souvik101990 wrote:
Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market that one has doubts about the company’s ability to push the product against other giants.’ more expensive though quality products. Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing. Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price. But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits



A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation. Correct choice - Can be logically deduced as the argument says that Macro system is reputed for its fair pricing, and that 'Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price'

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit. - theargument says that Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing its products but there is no mention of the sales volume anywhere.

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect - Completely irrelevant

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets - A close one, but can not be relied upon, we do not have any information about Macro system's products being superior or inferior to its competitors'

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits - Again, no information about the quality of Macro system's products
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2018, 08:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.