It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:18

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18101 [0], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 23:04
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:53) correct 64% (01:56) wrong based on 190 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market that one has doubts about the company’s ability to push the product against other giants.’ more expensive though quality products. Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing. Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price. But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following?

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18101 [0], given: 1992

SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1230 [0], given: 896

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 08:17
Price of Macro system's decongestors - Cheaper than other manufacturers
Other manufacturers decongestors are quality products and expensive.
Clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price.

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation - Correct - Clients may think that the product's quality is low due to cheap pricing and may stop buying the decongestors.

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit - Incorrect - Out of scope

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect - Incorrect - Out of scope

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets - Incorrect - We can not infer this as the performance of the decongestors is not stated in the argument.

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits - Incorrect - Out of scope

In my opinion, answer is A

Kudos [?]: 1230 [0], given: 896

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 10:57
I think it is B.

"But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market." and (I asked myself, "How they r so confident?")
"Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit." - logically follow each other and this is supported by "Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing."

A may be true, but it is not a must, I think.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 09:25
I think the answer should be B because the argument says that the company is sure to make a big dent. On the other hand A is not certain to be true. It states just the assumption of people.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 10:50
ShivaniAgrawal wrote:
I think the answer should be B because the argument says that the company is sure to make a big dent. On the other hand A is not certain to be true. It states just the assumption of people.

IMHO

Quote:
Dent = have an adverse effect on; diminish.

Thus, option (A) seems plausible.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 11:02
Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market that one has doubts about the company’s ability to push the product against other giants.’ more expensive though quality products. Macro system has earned a reputation for fair pricing of its products by allowing a nominal mark-up it builds in the pricing. Yet prospective clients will find it difficult to believe that a quality product could be available for such a low price. But Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market

The key to me here is the blue highlighted part, the argument has said it in certainty that some clients will find it difficult to believe so we need to capitalise this info.

Remove the answer choices which tries to explain the situation that we are not told to do so , its not an evaluate the argument type.

We have been asked to find a choice which supports the above given claim?

A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation : Yup - This goes with some clients mentioned in the highlighted part

B. Macro System’s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit : No were the manufacturing volume was mentioned: Unnecessary outside info

C. Macro System’s pricing computation software underwent a glitch, which the accountants could not detect - we are not evaluating the situation here

D. Macro System’s decongestors can perform no better than other such similar gadgets : No where performance is compared

E. Macro System will never compromise on the quality of its products for the sake of making more profits - Are we trying to endorse Macro system? Its not our interest

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 19:50
This sort of question, while helpful, is one of the reasons to focus on GMAT prep/OG for practice. The prompt lacks clarity. A is definitely true if the clients are right and B would be true if the Macro system is right. The question itself is not hard, for the discerning candidate anyway. Therefore, those who have chosen B should take heart, however, A states the obvious which is clearly correct.

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 19:55
Abhishek009 wrote:
ShivaniAgrawal wrote:

IMHO

Quote:
Dent = have an adverse effect on; diminish.

Thus, option (A) seems plausible.

Hey Abhishek,

While A is a correct option, I disagree that dent=diminish in this context. The dent described here pointed to the fact that Macro would compete and gain customers in the market, this is supported by the word "but" after the clients' concern and before the company's assertion.

Best,

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 23:01
I don't really get why "A" would be the correct answer here. "B" is more plausible.

Considering A and B:
A. The company may suffer due to this pricing adventure causing the company to lose at least of some of its reputation - What is the basis for loss of reputation?

B. Macro System???s large volume is the trick behind its success, though it may charge a small profit on the unit. - Explains how Macro system is confident of making a big dent in the decongestor market in spite of their remarkably low prices

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 49

Re: Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2017, 23:01

Macro system’s new range of decongestors costs so little to market tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap