Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9248 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2225 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Need Help getting to 47 Q [#permalink]
Kudos
delmoneyy wrote:
Hello, I am a student from the U.S who is shooting for a 720 GMAT score. I am currently scoring V 37-38 and Quant 40-41. I have done the math and realized that I need a Q 47 and a V41 to get to a 720. I feel as if I am close to scoring a V41 on the verbal portion but could really use some help with Quant. I DO NOT need to score anywhere past 65% on Quant so I do not need a ton of advanced help. Rather I need help getting all 600-700 level questions right and maybe 50% of the 700 level questions. Does anyone have some good advice for me? I have worked through the Manhattan books and understand most of the general concepts but just need more practice. Additionally, combinatorics and geometry are my weakest subjects but they do not appear too often. Do you think I can neglect these two subjects and still receive a 47 on Quant? PLEASE help with any strategies or tips!!!

Try Target Test Prep, they have one of best courses for Quant.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Kudos
Hi delmoneyy,

Welcome to gmatclub!

You will have to know the material well to score Q47. Check #9 HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR QUANT SCORE here:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT

Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope this helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
delmoneyy wrote:
Hello, I am a student from the U.S who is shooting for a 720 GMAT score. I am currently scoring V 37-38 and Quant 40-41. I have done the math and realized that I need a Q 47 and a V41 to get to a 720. I feel as if I am close to scoring a V41 on the verbal portion but could really use some help with Quant. I DO NOT need to score anywhere past 65% on Quant so I do not need a ton of advanced help. Rather I need help getting all 600-700 level questions right and maybe 50% of the 700 level questions. Does anyone have some good advice for me? I have worked through the Manhattan books and understand most of the general concepts but just need more practice. Additionally, combinatorics and geometry are my weakest subjects but they do not appear too often. Do you think I can neglect these two subjects and still receive a 47 on Quant? PLEASE help with any strategies or tips!!!

I feel you can get a Q47 or even above if you:-

1) Work on your weak areas; So don't skip any topic. Do everything because you may get an easy q on any topic.

2) Practice, practice, and practice. There is no short cut!!

All the best!
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Hey delmoneyy,
Here are a few thoughts on how to improve your already pretty good level:

Improving your verbal score
ere are a few thoughts:
Getting to the Baseline The first question is, of course, where you stand to begin with. If your English is fluent and at a high level - great. This will help you a lot going forward. If, on the other hand, English is not your mother tongue and you’re aiming for a very high score, it may make sense for you to start by working exclusively on your language skills before even officially beginning your study. Read a few books, watch a few movies, maybe even take English classes, and only then begin tackling GMAT materials.
Clearing the Verbal Hurdle - When strategizing for the exam, however, more than basic skills are important for the Verbal section. It’s just as important to teach yourself the right way to approach each question. Many people, for example, make the mistake of reading all answer choices in all questions; with the clock running, you can’t afford to do this! Many Verbal questions are ones where all the relevant information is in the question itself, and you can use the PRECISE approach to answer the question directly, and avoid becoming confused by the answers. Other questions are those in which there is a general LOGICAL rule that can help answer the question quickly – reading all answers is a waste of time here as well. Only about a third of the questions are those in which it is necessary or preferable to go over all the answer choices (using the ALTERNATIVE approach). The trick is, of course, figuring out which question is which, and this requires concentrated study, checking not only whether you got the question right, but also whether you did so quickly and efficiently.

improving your quant score
What this section measures is your ability to analyze data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills. The mathematics needed for this section is usually not harder than secondary school level. This section is adaptive. This means that based on your answer to each question, it chooses a harder or easier question for your next question.

Learning basic Algebra, Statistics and Geometry is a necessary prerequisite to actually studying for the exam. In fact, even if you already know this information, reviewing it before you delve into GMAT questions is a very good idea.
this is only the first step, though. The important thing to work ones figuring out the most efficient way to solve each question. This will only sometimes be the straightforward, precise, answer - it will often be taking a shortcut (Alternative) - or applying a Logical rule.

These are all things the examPAL course focuses on. If you have any questions - please ask me in our chat here - ask for David and I will personally answer! :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI delmoneyy,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So since you seem to be stuck around a Q40, it’s clear that you have numerous quant weaknesses that are holding back your quant score. That said ,to improve your quant skills, I would cast a “wide net” (meaning don’t skip any quant topics) and follow a linear and structured study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant topic and practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. Let me expand on this idea further.

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2153 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
delmoneyy wrote:

Hi, Welcome to GMATClub, First complete OG questions in GMATClub. Once it completed, check your error log. Based on the error log work on your weak topics. One good option is to try a free trial of Target Test Prep. It gives you the sectional wise and level wise accuracy. Hope it may help for where a need to focus. Then you can try with other sources like Math Revolution, Manhattan, Veritas, eGMAT scholaranium questions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92973 posts