Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [129]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [88]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [19]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: A jar contains 8 red marbles and y white marbles. If Joan takes 2 rand [#permalink]
@Bunnel

will permutation be considered..?? . The question only says that 2 marbles were taken
out . It does not say that the marbles were taken out one by one . Please throw some light...me confused.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [3]
Send PM
Re: A jar contains 8 red marbles and y white marbles. If Joan takes 2 rand [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Raths wrote:
@Bunnel

will permutation be considered..?? . The question only says that 2 marbles were taken
out . It does not say that the marbles were taken out one by one . Please throw some light...me confused.

For probability there is no difference whether we pick some # of marbles one by one or all at once.

For example:
Jar containing 3 red and 5 blue marbles. We pick 2 marbles one by one. What is the probability that both marbles are red?
Jar containing 3 red and 5 blue marbles. We pick 2 marbles simultaneously. What is the probability that both marbles are red?

\(\frac{C^2_3}{C^2_8}=\frac{3}{28}\) or \(\frac{3}{8}*\frac{2}{7}=\frac{3}{28}\).

As for the "permutation": what do you mean by that? Question asks to compare the probability "of 2 red marbles" with the probability of "one marble of each color". So can you pleas clarify what permutation has to do with it?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
A jar contains 8 red marbles and y white marbles. If Joan takes 2 random marbles from the jar, is it more likely that she will have 2 red marbles than that she will have one marble of each color?

(1) y ≤ 8
(2) y ≥ 4

# of total marbles in the jar equals to \(8+y\), out of which \(R=8\) and \(W=y\)

\(P(RR)=\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{8-1}{8+y-1}=\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{7}{7+y}\);
\(P(RW)=2*\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{8+y-1}=2*\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{7+y}\), multiplying by 2 as RW can occure in two ways RW or WR;

Question: is \(\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{7}{7+y}>2\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{7+y}\)? --> is \(\frac{7}{2}>y\)? --> is \(y<3.5\)? eg 0, 1, 2, 3.

(1) y ≤ 8, not sufficient.
(2) y ≥ 4, sufficient, (\(y\) is not less than 3.5).

Answer: B.

Bunuel, consider the case where \(Y = 2\). then The probability \(of P(RW) = 2*\frac{8}{10}*\frac{2}{9} = \frac{32}{90}\)

\(P(RR) = \frac{8}{10}*\frac{7}{9} = \frac{56}{90}\)

So even for \(y=2\), it is likely to pick two reds than a red and white. Isn't that contradicting the OA? As a matter of fact, as \(y\)keeps growing this likelyhood goes down and so \(y >!8\) (y cannot be greater than 8).

Or did I keep my foot in my mouth? :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hemanthp wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
A jar contains 8 red marbles and y white marbles. If Joan takes 2 random marbles from the jar, is it more likely that she will have 2 red marbles than that she will have one marble of each color?

(1) y ≤ 8
(2) y ≥ 4

# of total marbles in the jar equals to \(8+y\), out of which \(R=8\) and \(W=y\)

\(P(RW)=2*\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{8+y-1}=2*\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{7+y}\), multiplying by 2 as RW can occure in two ways RW or WR;

Question: is \(\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{7}{7+y}>2\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{7+y}\)? --> is \(\frac{7}{2}>y\)? --> is \(y<3.5\)? eg 0, 1, 2, 3.

Bunuel, consider the case where \(Y = 2\). then The probability \(of P(RW) = 2*\frac{8}{10}*\frac{2}{9} = \frac{32}{90}\)

\(P(RR) = \frac{8}{10}*\frac{7}{9} = \frac{56}{90}\)

So even for \(y=2\), it is likely to pick two reds than a red and white. Isn't that contradicting the OA? As a matter of fact, as \(y\)keeps growing this likelyhood goes down and so \(y >!8\) (y cannot be greater than 8).

Or did I keep my foot in my mouth? :)

I'm not sure understand your question.

Anyway, according to the solution above when the number of white marbles (y) is 0, 1, 2, or 3 then the probability of picking two red marbles is higher than the probability of picking one marble of each color (and when the number of white marbles (y) is more than 3: 4, 5, ... then the probability of picking two red marbles is lower than the probability of picking one marble of each color). So clearly for \(y=2\): \(P(RR)>P(RW)\).

Statement (1) says \(y\leq{8}\), not sufficient, as \(y\) could be for example 1 (answer YES) or 7 (answer NO).
Statement (1) says \(y\geq{4}\) --> as \(y\geq{4}\) then the probability of picking two red marbles is lower than the probability of picking one marble of each color and the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I used combinatorics approach. Can someone clarify whether the approach is correct? Please.

Total = (8+y)C2
RR = 8C2
one from each = 8C1 * yC1

Probability of RR = \(\frac{8C2}{(8+y)C2}\)
Proabaility of 1 from each = \(\frac{8C1 * yC1}{(8+y)C2}\)

Question: \(\frac{8C2}{(8+y)C2}\) > \(\frac{8C1 * yC1}{(8+y)C2}\)?

Canceling denominator from both the sides : 8C2 > 8C1 * yC1 ?
\(\frac{(8 * 7)}{2}\) > 8 * ( \(\frac{y!}{(y-1)!}\)) ?
\(\frac{(8 * 7)}{2}\) > 8 * y ?

\(\frac{7}{2}\) > y ?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
(1) Prob 2 red marbles = 8/16 * 7/15 = 7/30

Prob of 2 marbles of diff color = 8/16 * 8/15 + 8/16 * 8/15 = 2 * 8/16 * 8/15 = 8/15 = 16/30

if y = 0, then we have a different result

So (1) is not sufficient

(2)

Prob 2 red marbles = 8/12 * 7/11 = 14/33

Prob of 2 marbles of diff color = 8/12 * 8/11 + 8/12 * 8/11 = 2 * 8/12 * 8/11 = 32/33

Anything greater than 4 also gives the same result.

So (2) is sufficient

Answer - B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Actually you don't have to do any calculation in 1). Consider the worst case.

y can be zero. In that P(two red) > P(either color) Hence Statement 1) y <= 8 fails to give one answer. On the other hand P(two red) < P (either color) for every y >=4 . Here you can pick y =4 and y = 5 to convince yourself. Probability of picking two of the same color will always be less than than picking two of different colors

Two red Vs 2 different colors
y = 4 P(two red) = 8C2 / 12C2 P(either color) = 8 * 4 / 12C2
y = 5 P(two red) = 8C2 / 13C2 P(either color) = 8 * 5 / 12C2

The first probability decreases with the increase in y. The second probability increases with the increase in y
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
56/(8+y) * (7+y) > 16/(8+y) * (7+y)

56 > 16y => y > 3.

Clear B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hey Bunuel,
Could you please clarify the below doubt.
I know that we can calculate the probability by using Combination approach or by using Probability Approach.

The only doubt that I have is why do we need to multiply by 2 when I use the Probability approach.
i.e
\(P(RW)=2*\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{8+y-1}=2*\frac{8}{8+y}*\frac{y}{7+y}\)
Is it because we are considering cases over here
i.e RW can occur in 2 ways - (R and then W) or (W and then R).
If yes, then when we calculate the probability(RW) by using combination approach.. we don't multiply the expression by 2. Why.
P(RW) = [(8C1)(yC1)]/[(8+y)C2]

Just to make it a bit clearer-

Question #1: A bag has 6 red marbles and 4 marbles. What are the chances of pulling out a red and blue marble.

Answer: (Chance of picking red * chance of picking blue) + Chance of picking blue*chance of picking red)

6/10*4/9 + 4/10*6/9 = 48/90

***Here, it appears that order matters, because you have to find the probability of getting red-blue, and add it to the probability of getting blue-red.

Question #2:
A bag has 4 red marbles, 3 yellow, and 2 green, what is the probability of getting 2 Red, 2 Green, and 1 yellow, if the marbles aren't replaced:

# of ways to get 2R, 2G, 1Y 2: 4C2*2C2*3C1 =18
Total # of ways to pick 5 balls: 9C5= 126

Answer: 18/126

Now here, it appears order DOES NOT matter, since we're using combinations (instead of permutations).

How come in Q#1, blue-red, red-blue are distinct, which means you have to add the probabilities of each together, but in Q#2, it uses combinations, which means order doesn't matter.

WHY? Completely lost

Please throw some light on this.
Thanks
-H

Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

(1) y ≤ 8
(2) y ≥ 4

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
The only doubt that I have is why do we need to multiply by 2 when I use the Probability approach.

i.e RW can occur in 2 ways - (R and then W) or (W and then R).
If yes, then when we calculate the probability(RW) by using combination approach.. we don't multiply the expression by 2. Why.
P(RW) = [(8C1)(yC1)]/[(8+y)C2]

Responding to a pm:
Order matters. That is the reason we multiply by 2 in the probability approach. We can pick R and then W or W and then R. So R and W can be picked in two different sequences with the same end result.

As for the combination approach - it works and you can use it but I wouldn't like to in this case. When we say 8C1, we are assuming that the balls are distinct and we can select one ball out of 8 Red balls in 8 ways. But it is kind of implied in the question that the balls are identical. Still, you can assume all the balls to be distinct and select 1 out of 8 Red balls in 8 ways and 1 out of y white balls in y ways.
Number of ways of selecting R and W = 8*y
Number of ways of selecting W and R = y*8
Total number of ways of selecting 2 balls = (8+y)(7+y) (first ball can be selected in 8+y ways and second in 8+y-1 ways)
Required probability = 16y/(8+y)(7+y) (which is the same as obtained in the probability method)
It works because in the numerator we assume all balls to be distinct and we do the same in the denominator too. Hence, the probability stays the same.

You can also calculate the probability assuming that order doesn't matter (for both numerator and denominator). Since it is probability, you will get the same probability since the 2 of the numerator will get canceled with the 2 of the denominator.

Number of ways of picking R and W = 8C1*yC1 (order doesn't matter so we don't multiply by 2)
Number of ways of picking 2 balls = (8+y)C2 (order doesn't matter when we use nCr)

Probability = 8C1*yC1/(8+y)C2 = 8y/(8+y)(7+y)/2 = 16y/(8+y)(7+y)
Obviously, the result is the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Thanks Karishma for the explanation. I understand both the approaches now. However, just needed a little bit of more explanation on the concept of identical vs distinct as you mentioned in the below excerpt.

I have noticed that you have given emphasis on the distinct vs identical objects. I want to understand that as to how does the word identical vs distinct makes a difference when using combinations. I have understood that for solving probability questions,it won't make much of impact since we assume the same in both numerator and denominator. Please clear this doubt also, but wanted to understand this concept from Combinations point of view

Thanks
H

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Responding to a pm:
Order matters. That is the reason we multiply by 2 in the probability approach. We can pick R and then W or W and then R. So R and W can be picked in two different sequences with the same end result.

As for the combination approach - it works and you can use it but I wouldn't like to in this case. When we say 8C1, we are assuming that the balls are distinct and we can select one ball out of 8 Red balls in 8 ways. But it is kind of implied in the question that the balls are identical. Still, you can assume all the balls to be distinct and select 1 out of 8 Red balls in 8 ways and 1 out of y white balls in y ways.
Number of ways of selecting R and W = 8*y

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos