Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [3796]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [45]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [33]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [12]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmanjesh wrote:
BB you might want to edit the following sentence

"Note1: MGMAT CR and MGMAT SC come without any practice questions. Instead they refer to questions in the Official Guide 12 and OG Verbal, so you must buy that book to practice and preferably should not have covered it in the past. On the positive note - all Manhattan books come with access to 6 online CAT tests, so you should buy at least one Manhattan GMAT book (any one of them)."

MGMAT CR and RC needs both OG and the Verbal Review books. that was the case with MGMAT 3rd ed not sure about the 4th, but I assume its the same

Thank You!
I believe the 4th edition of the MGMAT RC does not rely on the Official Guide anymore but that book is packed and I can't get to it to confirm...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [9]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My friend has the book, will get it confirmed by tonight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Thank You!
Quote:
I believe the 4th edition of the MGMAT RC does not rely on the Official Guide anymore but that book is packed and I can't get to it to confirm...

That's good to know, especially since I am preparing OG and fundamentals in parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [11]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Human Resources
Schools:Sauder,Cornell,McGill
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello All,

I have started preparing for GMAT from this week.

I plan to follow the 3 month approach suggested by BB. However need some advice from all of you on finalising my study schedule.

month 1 - math. I plan to use Kaplan for brushing up fundamentals and then doing section tests for practice.

month 2 - verbal. I will use Kaplan and section tests here as well. Reading fiction is a regular add-on to this.

month 3 - full length tests. I plan to give 3 tests in a week followed with a detailed analysis and error log. The tests from OG, Kaplan (advanced), mba, etc will be used in this phase.

I have a full time job as a Manager in a Research firm with a 50 hour/week schedule. I will try to take out 15-18 hours in a week for this preparation. ( Majorly on weekends)

Please help me tweak this schedule. I am pretty unsure about how to start. Also, if 15-18 hours a week for the next 3 months would be enough to get a 700+ score.

Looking forward to all your suggestions :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [18]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I got a 720 after 3 months of studying, but I started "truly" studying after I got a 650 on the first real GMAT I took. When I took the GMAT the first time, I didn't really study much for it and told myself "If I get anything over a 650, then I retake and really study for it. So I got the 650 and studied for 3 months like crazy (I mean truly like crazy, I think I posted over 700 posts on here in that 3 month time).

My 3 month experience can't be compared to someone starting from scratch. I had already experienced one real test day which is a huge advantage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
This looks like a solid study plan; I look forward to trying it out. At which point do you recommend working through the OG?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey BB - need your comments on the schedule I have decided below....please :)
rookieR wrote:
Hello All,

I plan to follow the 3 month approach suggested by BB. However need some advice from all of you on finalising my study schedule.

month 1 - math. I plan to use Kaplan for brushing up fundamentals and then doing section tests for practice.

month 2 - verbal. I will use Kaplan and section tests here as well. Reading fiction is a regular add-on to this.

month 3 - full length tests. I plan to give 3 tests in a week followed with a detailed analysis and error log. The tests from OG, Kaplan (advanced), mba, etc will be used in this phase.

I have a full time job as a Manager in a Research firm with a 50 hour/week schedule. I will try to take out 15-18 hours in a week for this preparation. ( Majorly on weekends)

Please help me tweak this schedule. I am pretty unsure about how to start. Also, if 15-18 hours a week for the next 3 months would be enough to get a 700+ score.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rookieR wrote:
Hey BB - need your comments on the schedule I have decided below....please :)
rookieR wrote:
Hello All,

Looks pretty good. I would not push for 3 tests in a week - you will hate life and yourself :wink:
Do 1 or 2 on the weekends and then spend the week going through errors and possibly still taking just the quant or just the verbal portion.

Spend the "good" time on GMAT (mornings) rather than the "leftover" time (nights and lunch breaks).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks BB....for the great advice!

:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi

I gave GMAT Prep test recently and scored 640 (Quant - 46 and Verbal - 32). My aim is 700 + and am planning to take GMAT in Oct.

I did best in RC followed by Problem solving. Data sufficiency was worst and i did average in SC and CR.

Any tips on how I can score better?

Regards
Jigna
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [8]
Send PM
Kudos