Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [102]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: How Does the GMAT Algorithm Work? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Awesome post. Kudos bb !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
just a quick question..
ref to point no 8.

is it possible that variation in total score exist because of time spent on individual question and got it right or wrong.?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Interesting article to see how everything works.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 310
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Bookmarks
bb I know there's no way to REALLY know, but is there a possibility that the amount of time you spend on a particular question can affect your overall score? What I mean is, is it possible that the Algorithm contains "time" as part of the equation to determine not only the next questions difficulty, but your overall score? I first thought of this when I was looking over my ESR. I know most people use the ESR's time per question as a gauge on if one is spending too much time on a specific type of questions, but what if it's one of the factors that determines a score?

For example, if you spend 4 minutes on a Medium level PS question and get it wrong, it may decrease your overall score more than say completely guessing on a Hard level DS question after 1 minute. Or say there is 2 questions of the same difficulty. If someone gets the question right or wrong after 1minute versus 4minutes, it could be that the score gets affected more for one more than the other. There could be some correlation between the difficulty of the question and the time you spend on each question.

I apologize if this has been covered or seems silly. Just thought I would throw a random thought out there!
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
How Does the GMAT Algorithm Work? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Kurai wrote:
bb I know there's no way to REALLY know, but is there a possibility that the amount of time you spend on a particular question can affect your overall score? What I mean is, is it possible that the Algorithm contains "time" as part of the equation to determine not only the next questions difficulty, but your overall score? I first thought of this when I was looking over my ESR. I know most people use the ESR's time per question as a gauge on if one is spending too much time on a specific type of questions, but what if it's one of the factors that determines a score?

For example, if you spend 4 minutes on a Medium level PS question and get it wrong, it may decrease your overall score more than say completely guessing on a Hard level DS question after 1 minute. Or say there is 2 questions of the same difficulty. If someone gets the question right or wrong after 1minute versus 4minutes, it could be that the score gets affected more for one more than the other. There could be some correlation between the difficulty of the question and the time you spend on each question.

I apologize if this has been covered or seems silly. Just thought I would throw a random thought out there!

I seriously doubt that this is true, based on my own anecdotal experiences of taking the test. I've taken the GMAT 4 times, and a couple of those times, I've finished the Verbal section about 10 minutes early. However, it didn't help my score to have finished the questions more quickly. On the tests where I used 100% of the available time (and got a similar percent correct), my Verbal scores weren't any lower than the scores I got when I finished the test with plenty of time to spare.

In addition, GMAC has given us exactly zero evidence to support the idea that question values are weighted depending on how long one takes to answer them.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 02 May 2017, 09:35.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 19 Apr 2021, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
If it helps, here is the recording of a webinar we had conducted in collaboration with GMATWhiz on GMAT adaptive algorithm.

GMAT Club Bot