Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Ko [#permalink]
In C, Is the verbed modifier "armed only" modifying the subject(Bela and zoltan) by going over the verbing modifier("traveling the..")?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Send PM
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Ko [#permalink]
Thanks ExpertsGlobal5 And Thank you AndrewN for a different insight to the problem.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
shantanu4678 wrote:
Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.

(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only
Travelling has to follow after Bela and Zoltan is mentioned in order to make sense that the starting point of their carrer and getting rid of the idea that the road travel helped in kick-starting their career which is not the case therefore out

(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed
Dependent clauses are seperated through commas distorting the meaning therefore out

(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only
The meaning is perfect along with the usage therefore let us hang on to it

(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed
There is no need of semi-colon which distorts the meaning therefore out

(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only
arming themselves isn't the right usage therefore out

Therefore IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only

The subjects 'Bela Bartok' and 'Zoltan Kodaly' should immediately follow the participial phrase 'traveling the back...'

(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed

Dropping the adverb 'only' thus splitting the verb phrase, 'were armed', while not clearly wrong, should usually be avoided. Also breaking the sentence up into the independent clauses means that it is not concise.

(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only

This answer choice nicely corrects a problem in (A) and (B). The 'armed only' was separated from the participial phrase 'traveling the back roads..'. Because 'armed only' describes how they traveled (C) combines the two thoughts. In doing so it is concise and obviates the second independent clause.

(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed

Same problem as (A).

(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only

The '1905' breaking up the subjects and the verb 'began' is awkward.

Hi Chris,

Isn't "armed only with......." modifying Hungary rather than the travellers ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Ko [#permalink]
Flowerybunny wrote:
I would really appreciate it if someone can explain why is that in Option C, the modifier “travelling the roads…” is able to modify “Bela and Zoltan”, instead of “ethnomusicology” or “their pioneering work”?

(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.

Here is another question, which I think is about modifiers:

The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because she suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting.

(A) quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting

(B) quota, having no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting

(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(E) quota, not one that reflected that minority hiring and eventual promotion was a commitment

In the question pasted above, I chose Option (C) (which is the official answer) as I felt that the preposition/modifiers in remaining answer choices modify “quota” instead of "offer".

Could someone share their insights on how these two questions are different, where first question allows “travelling the roads…” to modify “Bela and Zoltan”, while in the second question, for example answer choice B, “having no commitment” would be unable to modify “offer” in “the law firm’s offer”?

Update: For anyone with the same question. The explanation should be as follows:

Quote from TomATManhattanGMAT on "The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth" question:

These “comma –ing” structures are adverbial modifiers, which modify the preceding clause (subject and verb)

In the initial question, "Bela and Zoltan" are the subject of the sentence, while in the second question, "The attorney" is the subject of the sentence. As such “having no commitment” would modify the "The attorney" which is illogical.

Thank you! :) TomATManhattanGMAT

v-ing modifies the whole clause not a single subject, as it was preceded by a comma "comma + v-ing"

unlike many said here I don’t think there is issue with “only armed” vs “armed only”

this is an advanced question as the different is very subtly between B and C, and B is not a wrong answer it is just less good compared to C.
1. “Travelling the back roads..” could modify either Bela and Zoltan” or the subsequent clause “began pioneering work..”; although it is quite clear it is modifying the preceding clause, it is not as good when compared to C
2. The structure is IC+IC; while connected with a conjunction the meaning is lacking
    >Again it is not an issue that will lead to elimination, ie we can say “Tom is reading, and his friend is cooking”, no problem, but in comparison, C is better again

C in the contrary -> key point is they began the work, the rest is just modifier = concise structure
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts