GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2019, 16:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:09) correct 30% (01:22) wrong based on 541 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tropical bats play an important role in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of tequila by pollinating agave plants.

(A) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of
(B) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
(C) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
(D) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
(E) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; indirectly helping the producing of

Always check citation for accuracy before use.

Similar question can be found in OG 2013 - OG 2018
https://gmatclub.com/forum/tropical-bat ... 31457.html

Originally posted by bb on 20 May 2019, 16:39.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Jul 2019, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
Corrected question stem to match OG 2020
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B
Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 08:39
mzaid wrote:
I chose option D as I thought after semicolon an independent clause be there unless the semicolon is not included in the underlined part, Could someone pleas explain what I'am missing here.

This question is testing a weird case of semicolon usage. When we are listing things that have commas in them, we can separate the list items with semicolons instead for clarity.

For example, if I'm trying to list city names, "Paris, France, Berlin, Germany, and Brussels, Belgium" is pretty confusing — is this a list of 6 different places? If we instead separate the city names with semicolons ("Paris, France; Berlin, Germany; and Brussels, Belgium"), our list becomes a lot more clear.

So our list in B is

aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

D is not parallel if we consider it a list.

Even if we were following the "semicolons separate independent clauses" rule, D still wouldn't work — the first two pieces of the sentences are independent clauses, but the third is not.

Tropical bats play an important role in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing tequila by pollinating agave plants.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 17:00
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of tequila by pollinating agave plants.

We're looking for parallelism across the three elements. We're given the hint from the non-underlined section (aiding in the dispersal of X,Y,Z)... so we're looking for an -ing verb. This reasoning rules out (D) and (E). (E) also has two other issues: 1) doesn't have an "and" between the pollination and producing element and 2) does not use the action noun form of "producing."

We're left with (A) and (C). (A) is incorrect because not parallel & "help the producing of" is not optimal....when an action noun ("production of") exists. (C) doesn't following the -ing parallelism.

A) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of
B) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
C) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
D) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
E) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; indirectly helping the producing of

Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 18:57
bb wrote:
Tropical bats play an important role in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of tequila by pollinating agave plants.

A) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of
B) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
C) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
D) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
E) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; indirectly helping the producing of

My response.

The question is testing the concept of parallelism.

a) wrong because -ing form is a different structure "complex gerund" whereas other -ing forms are indicating results of a clause.
b) Correct
c) wrong because -ing form is missing after and
d) "they" disrupts parallelism
e) same as d)
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '21, Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 23:02
We have three things in the list separated by ;
aiding in the dispersal of A,B,C; pollinating E,F,G; and indirectly helping H.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 08:29
I chose option D as I thought after semicolon an independent clause be there unless the semicolon is not included in the underlined part, Could someone pleas explain what I'am missing here.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 08:38
mzaid wrote:
The semicolon is just a "big comma" here.

Tropical bats play an important role in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds, pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees, and indirectly helping to produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

Tropical bats play an important role in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 00:37
bb wrote:

I think i can help you with this question pretty easily, by using the independent clause rules:-
in our options, every option is using semicolon ,so both sentence after semicolon must be independent clause so C,D and E are incorrect as they are using "they" which is dependent clause, relying over 1st part of sentence.
Now A and B left to produce / producing of
we use to produce because its purpose is to produce. So B is correct.
Hope i was able to help you.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 09:50
bb wrote:

(A) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help the producing of
(B) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
(C) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
(D) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
(E) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; indirectly helping the producing of

A , C , D : PRALLELISM NOT MANTAIN
- AIDING,POLLINATING AND HELPING SHOULD BE THERE

E : HELPING THE RPODUCING NOT CORRECT WORD

B : CORRECT MEANING
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2019, 09:50

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics