GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Feb 2020, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck vs Cambridge Judge

new topic post reply Update application status  

Tuck vs Cambridge Judge

• 88% [23]
  • 11% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q37 V43
GPA: 3.25
Tuck vs Cambridge Judge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 15:11
Hi all,

I am a 25 year old European and I am lucky enough to have been admitted to both schools. I am writing this post in order to ask for your help in choosing between the two schools.

In regards to my background, I worked for 2 years in a big four and 2 years in industry in auditing/accounting roles. Personally, my goals on career and location can be adjusted based on the school that I choose.

The two schools have the following pros and cons:

Tuck:
Pros:
-Better MBA culture since it is located in the US.
-Located in the US, a place that I would love to live even for 2 years.
-2 year program that is ideal for a younger applicant as myself.

Cons:
-Expensive
-Hard to obtain US visa after
-Not known in Europe

Cambridge:
Pros:
-Cheap
-As a European, I have no issues with visas
-Global recognition of the University even in the US

Cons:
-The program isn't well respected in the MBA community

Thank you very much for your time.
I am looking forward to your feedback.

Kind regards
Stelios

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cambridge Judge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 02:56
SteliosXas

Congratulations. Please update your decision tracker of Tuck to admit. Currently, it shows "Interviewed."

I am also tagging bb and billionaire who can provide better comments.
Concentration: Finance
Tuck vs Cambridge Judge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 13:23
SteliosXas wrote:
Hi all,

I am a 25 year old European and I am lucky enough to have been admitted to both schools. I am writing this post in order to ask for your help in choosing between the two schools.

In regards to my background, I worked for 2 years in a big four and 2 years in industry in auditing/accounting roles. Personally, my goals on career and location can be adjusted based on the school that I choose.

The two schools have the following pros and cons:

Tuck:
Pros:
-Better MBA culture since it is located in the US.
-Located in the US, a place that I would love to live even for 2 years.
-2 year program that is ideal for a younger applicant as myself.

Cons:
-Expensive
-Hard to obtain US visa after
-Not known in Europe

Cambridge:
Pros:
-Cheap
-As a European, I have no issues with visas
-Global recognition of the University even in the US

Cons:
-The program isn't well respected in the MBA community

Thank you very much for your time.
I am looking forward to your feedback.

Kind regards
Stelios

Hello SteliosXas

Your name seems Greek to me ;)

Congrats on admission to both top schools. :thumbup:

Okay I would agree with your evaluation of Tuck, except why would you care if Tuck is known or not in Europe, since you said you don"t have preference toward location after graduation ?

First of all, Tuck Dartmouth is well known in Europe, not like Cambridge as brand (Cambridge as University, one of oldest and most respected), but that would be omission of Europeans, since their MBA is probably better than Judge's.

I don't believe you will have any problem with Visa, since that will be responsibility of US company who is going to hire you, to sort the papers.

And after Tuck, you will have several offers.

Look from that perspective.

Finally, Tuck is not expensive, if you know the figures, you can expect $170,706 weighted average salary and 110% salary increase.

I would say, you subconsciously think as European and about going back to EU.

Once you are there, in US, if you decide to go, you will change perspective, at least in those two years.

Again, I would agree with your evaluation of Judge pros and disagree with cons, even figures can support my stance, average weighted salary that expect you is $162,143 and 100% salary increase, meaning double compared with what you probably earn now, so much about disrespect in MBA community or whatever.

I can see what is your biggest concern here, Tuck cost around $145,050, Judge (more than) double less $64,435, but we are also talking about 2 year vs. 1 year program, right ?

More important math for you:

Tuck :

Total 5-year MBA gain:$75,900

2016 Salary:$203,000

Years to payback: 3.9

Judge :

Total 5-year MBA gain:$140,000

2016 Salary:$163,000

Years to payback: 2.4

You can see, that higher 5 year gain of Judge option is influenced by higher Tuck fees actually, but in the longer run, you can expect to earn more with Tuck.

Of course that is not the whole picture, US has higher cost of living compared to UK/EU, so all in all, they are maybe approximately the same.

It comes to your decision where do you see yourself rather working and living after graduation ?

If you want different cultural experience go to Tuck.

If you are sure, you want to live in Europe upon graduation, Judge is way to go.

As European myself, I am going to vote for Tuck, seems like more fun to me :cool:

Below is comparison of both business schools in terms of various categories by Economist.

In case you wonder, lower figure means better ranked in that category. ;)

Good Luck with decision !
Attachments

tuck vs. judge.png
tuck vs. judge.png [ 106.36 KiB | Viewed 1308 times ]

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q37 V43
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 16:59
Dear BB,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Your message has been so helpful that I am still discussing it with my family.
I can't thank you enough.
Thank you again.

Current Student
Schools: LBS '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 23:07
Out of curiosity, what have you decided? Tuck is a tier above Judge imo and despite the visa issues, it could set you up better than a Judge MBA. The Tuck network being older and more tight knit could potentially help you with European jobs as well. How is the Tuck network in your home country?
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 03:20
Hi, having gone to a few Tuck events in London, the network is small, but it seems to be quite supportive.

I think if you're planning to do a few years in the US after graduation, Tuck would be the one to go for. It has a strong brand there and could land you a good job - you can then use the job as a platform back into Europe if that's what you're after. I would speak to alums and current students that currently work or are planning to work in Europe and get a sense of the brand, community etc. Cast the net wide.

It also depends on the type of work you want to do post-MBA. If it's MBB/other strat consulting/IB/VC, people will probably know of Tuck. If you're looking at start-ups/niche career options, I'm not so sure if people will recognise Tuck.

Cambridge is also obviously cheaper. Again, speak with Cambridge alums to get an idea of experience etc. I've always thought that one year programmes might be a little rushed.
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 20:30
I would choose Tuck. As you mentioned you are 25 with 4 years of experience, Tuck makes more sense as it provides you an opportunity for the internship as compared to Cambridge one year mba. One year mba is for more experienced folks who are looking to accelerate in their career.

Having lived in US and seen the visa issues from close quarter, I can tell you the H1-B work visa depends on your luck. Most of the people are able to get the visa but there are unlucky folks who return back as well. Moreover, Tuck MBA is not a STEM program, which provides you the cushion of OPT - a temporary work authorization for couple of years. As others have suggested, I would talk to current alumni and keep in mind the worst case scenario of returning back, if no H1-B is issued and make decision accordingly.
Current Student
Schools: LBS '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 03:41
VPGMAT wrote:
I would choose Tuck. As you mentioned you are 25 with 4 years of experience, Tuck makes more sense as it provides you an opportunity for the internship as compared to Cambridge one year mba. One year mba is for more experienced folks who are looking to accelerate in their career.

Having lived in US and seen the visa issues from close quarter, I can tell you the H1-B work visa depends on your luck. Most of the people are able to get the visa but there are unlucky folks who return back as well. Moreover, Tuck MBA is not a STEM program, which provides you the cushion of OPT - a temporary work authorization for couple of years. As others have suggested, I would talk to current alumni and keep in mind the worst case scenario of returning back, if no H1-B is issued and make decision accordingly.

While Tuck is not a STEM program, you'll still 1 year of OPT with Tuck. H1B work visa does come down to luck but even after getting through the lottery, things have gotten tougher under the current administration.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck vs Cambridge Judge   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2018, 03:41

Tuck vs Cambridge Judge

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste