GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Overview of Top EMBA Programs

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

Personal MBA Coach's Overview of Top EMBA Programs eBook To download for free, join our mailing list and receive weekly tips on perfecting your MBA applications

Tuck vs NYU vs Cornell ($$) vs Goizueta

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which one for post-grad consulting career?

• 82% [19]
  • 4% [1]
  • 4% [1]
  • 8% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.07
Reviews Badge
Tuck vs NYU vs Cornell ($$) vs Goizueta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 19:15
Hello All,

I've been admitted in the schools above and am a civil engineer currently (international from Canada) looking to get in consulting post-MBA. Below are my comments on the schools, please let me know yours ->

Tuck: No scholarships received - it's also expensive. However, forums/rankings say it's the best option and it's Ivy League too.
NYU: Most expensive from the lot, more finance focus and I'm not really interested in the NY "commotion".
Cornell: Strong Ivy League school as well. Got $25K scholarship over 2 years - however, more finance placements post-graduation and I'm debating about the scholarship vs choosing Tuck
Goizueta/Emory: On paper seems like the best value for money (was my safety school). Got 80K scholarship and post-grad compensation seems as good as any of the other schools here. However, is there a trajectory difference?

Other than that, if you have experience - let me know how consulting jobs vary in the North East Region vs South (if I choose Tuck/Cornell vs Goizueta).

Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Tuck vs NYU vs Cornell ($$) vs Goizueta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 03:35
Based on the above, Tuck seems like a no-brainer to me (particularly if you want to work in North America graduation). It consistently ranked above the others and 80k in the grand scheme will be irrelevant.

I've also heard that Tuck's consulting recruitment is strong. Have you been to visit to get a feel for the place?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 09:57
Tuck is the best option here, and it's not close. It's a tier above all the other schools on your list and it's particularly strong for consulting. $80K isn't insignificant, but you'll make it back quickly if you're doing consulting.

That said - Tuck is also a pretty unique place, so make sure it's a good fit!
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 03:15
One more for Tuck. The consulting placement will be considerably better.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 18:57
Thanks everyone for the votes and suggestions. I'm leaning towards Tuck strongly too so thank you for the affirmation. I just got an offer to UCLA with 40K scholarship - does that change the group sentiment at all? I see that UCLA might have an edge for tech but what about for general consulting?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Tuck vs NYU vs Cornell ($$) vs Goizueta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2018, 20:21
MBAMan2019 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the votes and suggestions. I'm leaning towards Tuck strongly too so thank you for the affirmation. I just got an offer to UCLA with 40K scholarship - does that change the group sentiment at all? I see that UCLA might have an edge for tech but what about for general consulting?

Congrats on UCLA Admit. I would not favor Anderson program even with 40K vs. Tuck unless you want to be in SoCal after you graduate (e.g. you are from there, etc). Anderson does not have good on campus recruiting and definitely nothing like Tuck would have with companies coming on campus and reaching out to the students. For consulting and esp Good consulting jobs, rank matters and esp if you need a good internship coming from a non-consulting background.

Also, Tuck as a program has a great community and very tight (though remote); Anderson will have a heavy SoCal vibe (convertibles, shorts, night clubs - if that's your type of thing, then I would definitely consider Andrson as Tuck will have none of these :cool: )

Being Canadian, is your life a bit easier with H1B/Work permit/Visa fun?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Originally posted by bb on 18 Dec 2018, 20:17.
Last edited by bb on 18 Dec 2018, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Edit
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 04:15
bb wrote:
MBAMan2019 wrote:

Congrats on UCLA Admit. I would not favor Anderson program even with 40K vs. Tuck unless you want to be in SoCal after you graduate (e.g. you are from there, etc). Anderson does not have good on campus recruiting and definitely nothing like Tuck would have with companies coming on campus and reaching out to the students. For consulting and esp Good consulting jobs, rank matters and esp if you need a good internship coming from a non-consulting background.

Also, Tuck as a program has a great community and very tight (though remote); Anderson will have a heavy SoCal vibe (convertibles, shorts, night clubs - if that's your type of thing, then I would definitely consider Andrson as Tuck will have none of these :cool: )

Being Canadian, is your life a bit easier with H1B/Work permit/Visa fun?

Thanks for the insight into recruitment! Yes I was definitely attracted to the California sun (being from the frigid North lol) but definitely not priority enough to choose over a better education.

And yes I waited an extra year in Canada so I can get my citizenship application going before leaving for the US. I hear it's really a struggle with the H1B otherwise!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck vs NYU vs Cornell ($$) vs Goizueta &nbs [#permalink] 19 Dec 2018, 04:15

Tuck vs NYU vs Cornell ($$) vs Goizueta

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap