It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9634 [0], given: 351

Re: Turning away from literary realism... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 02:54
yogeshmisthi wrote:
What do u think about E

Sent from my Redmi 4A using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello yogeshmisthi,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The comma + verb-ing modifier becoming... in Choice E seems to present the result of the preceding action wrote romantic stories. The choice seems to suggest that because SL wrote romantic stories, she won the mentioned accolades. This meaning does not make sense.

And yes, we cannot use the noun modifier that to refer to human beings. So usage of that is also incorrect in Choice E.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9634 [0], given: 351

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 22:33
mikemcgarry: Dear Mike, How are you? Just had a question on this, so please see below. I have modified option E to understand if there are any other relevant problems in the sentence:

As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer who won the Nobel Price for Literature- I replaced "that" with "who" here to remove the obvious error. In this sentence, are we still losing the crux that she was the first woman to do something OR is the construction She was the first woman who did X equally correct in conveying a particular sense of meaning. Are there any other existing errors sill in the sentence?

FOR EXAMPLE
A)Harsh was the first person to climb Mount Everest
B)Harsh was the first person who climbed Mount Everest

Is there any difference in the meaning conveyed by the 2 sentences above( This is the exact concern I am trying to raise in the setence above). Many Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
CAT Tests
Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 22:54
A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories, Selma Lagerlöf...correctly modifies the person.
I guess an easier way also is to check for the last part for tenses, the intended meaning of the sentence is that she went on to win the prize. Therefore, won introduces wrong tense for mentioning the same.
Choices A & D use correct tense in "to win" but option D correctly modifies the person

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9278 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 18:20
harshdeep12 wrote:
mikemcgarry: Dear Mike, How are you? Just had a question on this, so please see below. I have modified option E to understand if there are any other relevant problems in the sentence:

As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer who won the Nobel Price for Literature- I replaced "that" with "who" here to remove the obvious error. In this sentence, are we still losing the crux that she was the first woman to do something OR is the construction She was the first woman who did X equally correct in conveying a particular sense of meaning. Are there any other existing errors sill in the sentence?

FOR EXAMPLE

Is there any difference in the meaning conveyed by the 2 sentences above( This is the exact concern I am trying to raise in the setence above). Many Thanks

Dear harshdeep12,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With that change, (E) is grammatically correct but still not ideal. Rhetorically, among other things, it's odd to make the information in the first part the main clause, and relegate the information about winning a Nobel Prize to a participial phrase. The most important idea should be grammatically central in the sentence.

Your two example sentence about Everest have the same meaning, but you really slighted Sir Edmund Hillary!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9278 [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 01:23
mikemcgarry wrote:
harshdeep12 wrote:

FOR EXAMPLE

Dear harshdeep12,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With that change, (E) is grammatically correct but still not ideal. Rhetorically, among other things, it's odd to make the information in the first part the main clause, and relegate the information about winning a Nobel Prize to a participial phrase. The most important idea should be grammatically central in the sentence.

Your two example sentence about Everest have the same meaning, but you really slighted Sir Edmund Hillary!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

I have a question regarding redundancy in the options 'D' and 'E'.

Isn't the pair 'And-Also' redundant. If that is the case, then I feel that none of the options are correct.

Can you please confirm regarding the usage of 'and-also'

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 55

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 06:35
Please could you kindly explain why option C is incorrect.
Thanks.
(source gmatprep exam 2)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 55

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 19:06
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 08:50
In option D, it says, "and also" ; isn't that redundant to say?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 38

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 20:40
Hi Experts,

Though I got the answer correct I have a quick doubt regarding use of infinitive.
The original sentence says that "Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden"

Will it be correct to rephrase the above sentence as "Turning away from literary realism to writing romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden"

Just a silly doubt but it will clear my concepts about the use of infinitive.

Thanks in advance :-)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 01:21
I am also with "D". But I have some doubt about using "in 1909" just after "Selma Lagerlöf became". I think sentence must be like below.
......, in 1909, Selma Lagerlöf became......
Help me to get out of this doubt.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3794 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 02:19
gvij2017 wrote:
I am also with "D". But I have some doubt about using "in 1909" just after "Selma Lagerlöf became". I think sentence must be like below.
......, in 1909, Selma Lagerlöf became......
Help me to get out of this doubt.

An adverb (or adverbial phrase as in this case) can be positioned at the front, at the end or in the middle of a sentence. In option D the adverbial phrase "in 1909" takes the mid-position. (Though it is more common for an adverb/adverbial phrase of time to take the end or the front position, it is seen in this example that GMAT accepts the mid position as well.)

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 02:35
devanshu92 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Though I got the answer correct I have a quick doubt regarding use of infinitive.
The original sentence says that "Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden"

Will it be correct to rephrase the above sentence as "Turning away from literary realism to writing romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden"

Just a silly doubt but it will clear my concepts about the use of infinitive.

Thanks in advance :-)

Case 1: Turning away from literary realism to write: here "to write" is an infinitive depicting a purpose - WHY the writer turned? - to write.

Case 2: Turning away from literary realism to writing: there is no infinitive in this case - the idiom "FROM X TO Y" is used; X = realism (noun) and Y = writing ( gerund - also a noun). Here no purpose is depicted - just that the writer turned from X to Y.

You may compare the second case to the following example frequently used at the end of personal letters:
"Looking forward to seeing you."
Here "to" is an ordinary preposition and "seeing" is a noun (gerund), the object of preposition "to". Using infinitive "Looking forward to see you" would be wrong in this case since NOT the purpose of looking forward is to see you. The object of "looking forward to" is "seeing you" - looking forward to WHAT? - seeing you.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 02:46
reynaldreni wrote:
Please could you kindly explain why option C is incorrect.
Thanks.
(source gmatprep exam 2)

Meaning issue - In C the meaning implied may be that the first Swedish writer and Selma Lagerlöf are two different people.

Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 02:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 73 posts ] 

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap