It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

two OG SC questions

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

two OG SC questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:21
Hi guys, I found the following two SC questions interesting and would like to discuss with you. Both are trying to test the idiom "based on". The OA for the first question is E. Official explanation is that "Based on" cannot modify "Scholars". The OA for the second question is B. My confusing part is - in the second question, does "based on" modify "society" or "the Mochica developed their own elaborate society"as a whole? Or does it modify "the Mochica"? Could someone help me understand this part? Thank you!
Q1 Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known as Bona Dea, "the good goddess".

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers
(B) Basing it on various ancient writers' accounts
(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis
(D) By the account of various ancient writers they used
(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers

Q2 Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mochica developed their own elaborate society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

A based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting
B based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of
C and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of
D and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting
E and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 883 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: two OG SC questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:53

Kudos [?]: 883 [0], given: 54

Top Contributor
G

Kudos [?]: 9047 [0], given: 1154

Re: two OG SC questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 03:42
Top Contributor

Kudos [?]: 9047 [0], given: 1154

Re: two OG SC questions   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 03:42

two OG SC questions

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap