GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Anderson VS NYU Stern

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which School?

• 83% [10]
  • 16% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
UCLA Anderson VS NYU Stern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 22:47
Career Goal : MBB
Work Ex : 6 Years, Oil and Gas (engineering/bizdev/SME)
GMAT: 750

Anxiety: Brand Recognition of the school if/when I return to India.

Real Question: Which school gives me a better chance at MBB?
Retired Moderator
G
Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA Anderson VS NYU Stern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 04:57
Common peeps - all these views and no replies? Help a fellow bser out?
Retired Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 11:43
HEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!

Only 3 votes from 108 views?

Where's the love?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 13:46
I'll go with NYU

Sent from my SM-G925F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 20:07
Hi bb10,
Congrats for making it to two great programs.
I would choose NYU if I were in your shoes. In my opinion UCLA is kind of a regional school and isn't that strong a brand as NYU even in the Asia/Indian region (if you decide to move back or around).

I had an offer from UCLA too and I discussed with 10-15 alums and students and the general sense I got is that it's not really that gr8 for MBB. It's a much better school for Tech. and for few niche careers such as media where the LA as a location would prove advantageous. In your case I think NYU makes more sense.

btw, I'm curious to know why are you confused? Stern is an overall better school (IMHO) as compared to UCLA. In what way do you think UCLA is better than Stern?
Retired Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 00:43
Rohit6 wrote:
Hi bb10,
I would choose NYU if I were in your shoes. In my opinion UCLA is kind of a regional school and isn't that strong a brand as NYU even in the Asia/Indian region (if you decide to move back or around).

I had an offer from UCLA too and I discussed with 10-15 alums and students and the general sense I got is that it's not really that gr8 for MBB. It's a much better school for Tech. and for few niche careers such as media where the LA as a location would prove advantageous. In your case I think NYU makes more sense.

btw, I'm curious to know why are you confused? Stern is an overall better school (IMHO) as compared to UCLA. In what way do you think UCLA is better than Stern?

Thanks for the input Rohit.

I think there are few issues - considering schools in the North East, Stern may not be considered amongst the top 3, so regionally there is a disadvantage. But the mighty burden is the cost. With my scholarship, the cost of attendance comes to a delta of $70K.

If Stern had match the schol, i would have gone there - that's the honest truth of it.

But I don't agree that UCLA is a regional school dude, it's well reknowned across the US and even in parts of EU/Asia, and MBB has had permanent recruitment programs there in the past 5 years
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 03:01
Hi bb10, let me give you my 2 cents.

You say that Stern is at a disadvantage regionally, but earlier you stated no preference for location.

I would simply look at the employment statistics, talk to alumni/current students (especially if you can reach out to Indians who went there) and visit, if possible.

I know it's something people say hear all the time, but I think in your case it may come down to "fit", and where you would like to spend 2 years of your life. It could be one of those "follow your heart" situations :)

bb10 wrote:
Rohit6 wrote:
Hi bb10,

I think there are few issues - considering schools in the North East, Stern may not be considered amongst the top 3, so regionally there is a disadvantage. But the mighty burden is the cost. With my scholarship, the cost of attendance comes to a delta of $70K.

If Stern had match the schol, i would have gone there - that's the honest truth of it.

But I don't agree that UCLA is a regional school dude, it's well reknowned across the US and even in parts of EU/Asia, and MBB has had permanent recruitment programs there in the past 5 years
Retired Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 04:05
Thanks latinoinasuit

I don't have a preference on "where to live" - i.e. wrt to lifestyle or post MBA job location.

But the location does play into the recruitment aspect - so its not totally irrelevant.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
UCLA Anderson VS NYU Stern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 04:17
I didn't knew about the cost delta and that you have a scholarship from UCLA. 70k is a big enough amount so that may swing your decision on one side.
As the person above suggested, I think it's best to talk to Indians/internationals in both schools, probably recent grads or second year students and understand how "comfortable" they sound with your goals and the recruitment process in general.

All the best :thumbup:

bb10 wrote:
Rohit6 wrote:
Hi bb10,

UCLA Anderson VS NYU Stern   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2017, 04:17

UCLA Anderson VS NYU Stern

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap