Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Understanding GMAT scoring algorithm (41 w/ 6 questions wrong) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's more unusual to get a V40 with 11 wrong answers than it is to get a V41 with six wrong answers. But the number of wrong answers isn't very strongly correlated with your score, except when that number is extremely low or extremely high. One of your tests was harder, overall, then the other, and that meant the wrong answers didn't hurt you as much. Notice that the scoring 'works' - even though one test was harder, your scores were essentially the same, because the algorithm accounts for the fact that hard questions will be answered incorrectly more often.

Question difficulty isn't completely predictable on the GMAT. That's especially true on the Exam Pack tests, which are built from a small question database. My impression is that some of those tests just don't have many very hard questions to deliver to the high-level test taker. So you can't afford many mistakes on some of those tests if you want a top score. But you won't make as many, because the questions are easier than normal, so you'll still get roughly the same score.

If you're aiming for a 99th percentile Verbal score, you'll probably need to get down to four or fewer wrong answers. At that level, there is a clear correlation between wrong answers and scores (on most tests, with one wrong answer, the score is V49 or V50, and with two wrong answers it's V47 or V48). I think it's hard to improve on very high Verbal scores, and your current score is outstanding, but maybe by analyzing your errors you can make some further progress. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
It's more unusual to get a V40 with 11 wrong answers than it is to get a V41 with six wrong answers. But the number of wrong answers isn't very strongly correlated with your score, except when that number is extremely low or extremely high. One of your tests was harder, overall, then the other, and that meant the wrong answers didn't hurt you as much. Notice that the scoring 'works' - even though one test was harder, your scores were essentially the same, because the algorithm accounts for the fact that hard questions will be answered incorrectly more often.

Question difficulty isn't completely predictable on the GMAT. That's especially true on the Exam Pack tests, which are built from a small question database. My impression is that some of those tests just don't have many very hard questions to deliver to the high-level test taker. So you can't afford many mistakes on some of those tests if you want a top score. But you won't make as many, because the questions are easier than normal, so you'll still get roughly the same score.

If you're aiming for a 99th percentile Verbal score, you'll probably need to get down to four or fewer wrong answers. At that level, there is a clear correlation between wrong answers and scores (on most tests, with one wrong answer, the score is V49 or V50, and with two wrong answers it's V47 or V48). I think it's hard to improve on very high Verbal scores, and your current score is outstanding, but maybe by analyzing your errors you can make some further progress. Good luck!

Ian, thanks. This was the type of post I was looking for, this is really insightful. Do you know how big (roughly) the questions banks are for the practice test on the GMAC software?

Any ideas what % of the hard questions you have to be getting right in order to get certain scores?

thanks.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM