GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 16:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2018, 00:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:57) correct 44% (01:06) wrong based on 1229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in 1921, the Hiss case became the political cause of an era, the more so because it was the first time a congressional hearing was shown on television.

(A) the more so because it was
(B) more for its being
(C) more for the reason that it was
(D) the more so for the reason because it was
(E) the reason of it being more so is that it was

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/06/arts/tv-plays-the-hiss-case-down-the-middle.html

In life, Mr. Hiss was sentenced to five years in jail for perjury before a Federal Grand Jury. Like the Dreyfus affair in France at the turn of the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in 1920, the Hiss case became the political cause of an era, the more so because it was the first time a Congressional hearing was shown on that new invention in the big wooden box, television.

Can anyone explain why C is wrong?

Originally posted by CCChen on 20 Apr 2016, 22:21.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Jul 2018, 00:30, edited 6 times in total.
Reformatted question
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 08:25
CCChen wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
CCChen wrote:
Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in 1921, the Hiss case became the political cause of an era, the more so because it was the first time a congressional hearing was shown on television.

A. the more so because
B. more for its being
C. more for the reason
D. the more so for the reason because
E. the reason of it being more so is that

In the correct choice (A), "so" refers to an entire action introduced in the previous clause: "became the political cause". This usage implies: "the Hiss more became the political cause."

Not using "so" does not re-introduce the previous clause. Therefore A is better than C.

Could you elaborate on the usage of "the more" here?
Since I am not a native speaker, I am not sure why we can put "the more" after the comma.
Is this an idiom or a common usage in standard English?

Since this is NOT a typical comparative adjective that requires a mandatory "than", it would probably be better to memorize it as an idiom.

This usage may be considerd as stating an action and then providing an additional reason for taking the action - a reason that made someone take the action with stronger justification.

I went to the party, more so because she was there.

Fact: I went to the party
Additional reason that provided stronger justification for my action: because she was there.

Removign "more so" would not convey the sense of this additional justification for my action.

Moreover the preceding post from sukanyar is helpful in understanding the meaning better.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 20:06
CCChen wrote:

This is what http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/(all)%20the%20more%20so says about "the more so":

Used to say why something (such as an attribute or quality) applies to a greater degree or extent <The play was impressive—(all) the more so because the students had written it themselves.

As a non-native speaker, I was also totally clueless on this one.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-01-2015
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 04:38
I think C is incorrect because of lacking of "that" after "more for the reason". B is awkward, D and E is redundant. So A is the correct one
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 05:07
CCChen wrote:

A. the more so because
B. more for its being
C. more for the reason

In the correct choice (A), "so" refers to an entire action introduced in the previous clause: "became the political cause". This usage implies: "the Hiss more became the political cause."

Not using "so" does not re-introduce the previous clause. Therefore A is better than C.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 05:11
CCChen wrote:

A. the more so because
B. more for its being
C. more for the reason

Hi sayantanc2k has very aptly talked of importance of 'so' or any other word to relate MORE to previous clause..
In C, there is no clause/ phrase/adjective to which MORE is refering to..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 15:37
sayantanc2k wrote:
CCChen wrote:

A. the more so because
B. more for its being
C. more for the reason

Since I am not a native speaker, I am not sure why we can put "the more" after the comma.
Is this an idiom or a common usage in standard English?
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 23:51
mikemcgarry or daagh Could you please provide more explanation on how to eliminate C in this question?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2016, 02:52
Hi,
the initial phrase -Like the Dreyfus affair at the turn of the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in 1921- correctly modifies 'teh hiss'.. also it is part of non-underlined portion..
So our Q mainly is - the Hiss case became the political cause of an era, the more so because it was the first time a congressional hearing was shown on television.

lets see each statement

Like the Dreyfus affair at the turn of the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in 1921, the Hiss case became the political cause of an era, the more so because it was the first time a congressional hearing was shown on television.

1. the more so because it was..
here 'more so', a kind of an IDIOM, is correctly used to refer to entire preceding clause...
MORE requires 'so' here to make sense

2. more for its being
requirement of So...
its being is not a better construction then A

3. more for the reason that it was
Same SO is missing..
SO is must to connect to previous clause

4. the more so for the reason because it was
more so is correctly used, but BOTH reason and because are redundant

5. the reason of it being more so is that it was
Clearly awkward construction

A

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 12:17
CCChen wrote:

A. the more so because
B. more for its being
C. more for the reason

A. the more so because
B. more for its being 'being' is generally wrong on GMAT. additionaly, 'more for its being it was...' is very awkward
C. more for the reason 'for' and 'reason' are redundant. 'For' here is representing 'because', which has same meaning as 'reson'
D. the more so for the reason because. 'reason' and 'beacuse' are redundant
E. the reason of it being more so is that very awkward structure

A is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 01:57
thangvietnam, it's just an idiom. "The more so" basically means "even more so." Here, it could be seen as saying "and this was even more true in this case."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 02:28
Noxy416 wrote:
mikemcgarry or daagh Could you please provide more explanation on how to eliminate C in this question?

Experts,

Please help, still not clear why C is wrong.
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 07:09
1988achilles wrote:
Noxy416 wrote:

Experts,

Please help, still not clear why C is wrong.

Please refer to this post:
like-the-dreyfus-affair-at-the-century-and-the-sacco-vanzetti-trial-in-216997.html#p1675309

"So" is required to refer to the event "became the political issue". Option C could still be considered if it were "...more so for the reason that...", but even then option A would be better because of the more concise "because" instead of " for the reason that". "More so" can be considered an idiom and in absence of "so", the comparative adjective "more" would require "than" - the structure then would be " more for the resaon X than for the reason Y" OR "more because X than because Y".
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 23:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 23:24

Like the Dreyfus affair at the century and the Sacco-Vanzetti trial in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap