Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [41]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [3]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Re: Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an [#permalink]
Kudos
B.

in C, the "they" is ambiguous because it can refer to the people themselves.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
D seems wrong
D says :Many people are unwilling to believe that pit pulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be
D uses a construction "even while". this construction seems wrong .we can use either "even though" or "while" to bring about contrast but not "even while"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
"Even while" is not quite right--it implies that these things are happening at the same time, when the point is to make a clear contrast. However, even if we used "even though," we would not have a great answer choice. Notice that the sentence ends with the unclear "might be." We know the intention is "might be domesticated," but it's better to choose a sentence that makes the point more clearly.

For me, though, the worst part is "domesticated even while." We seem to be modifying "domesticated" instead of the belief, and the ambiguous "they" does nothing to help. For instance, I might say "Dobermans can be domesticated even while they are puppies." In other words, they can be domesticated even under these particular circumstances. (B) avoids that oddly-placed modifier and the unclear "they."

Hello Dmitry,

I still have one doubt about option B.

Years of business writing has trained me to avoid using 'the same ' in a sentence. Is it ok to use it in this sentence then?

Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pincher might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks,
aimtoteach
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aimtoteach,

I must confess I've never heard the advice to avoid saying "the same." That seems kind of strange as a blanket recommendation. In fact, the most common way to use the word "same" is with "the" in front of it. Can you give me an example of the kind of usage you were trained to avoid?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
WE:Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Hi aimtoteach,

I must confess I've never heard the advice to avoid saying "the same." That seems kind of strange as a blanket recommendation. In fact, the most common way to use the word "same" is with "the" in front of it. Can you give me an example of the kind of usage you were trained to avoid?

Hello Dmitry,

In business writing, I have been told to avoid 'the same' usage in the following manner:

1) The internet service will not be available from 9 am IST; the same will be reinstated from 10 am IST today.
2) The expense claim form has been updated for all future submissions, the same is enclosed for your reference.

I believe there is a lot of unlearning I have to do :(

Thanks,
aimtoteach
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ah, I see. I suppose it's a matter of style, but the expression works here. I can't say I've seen it in any official GMAT problems, but I suppose it could crop up.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you start with a comparison such as "Unlike X," you need to make sure that the item you're comparing comes along next (not counting any modifiers in the middle). Take out the modifier and look at what is getting compared here:

"Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinschers, such belief . . . " We don't want to compare dogs to belief!
Send PM
Expert Reply
The issue isn't what word goes with "same." It's what ideas you're comparing:

My parents paid for my brother's education, and I want them to do the same for me.

I think highly of my business partners, and I want them to think the same of me.

In the case of the original question, the idiom is "believe X of Y":

I can accept that the other kids lied, but I can't believe this of my daughter.

Does that make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Hi,

The options clearly boil down to between B and D. But I selected D over B and here are my two cents:

In option B: The reference is made to people who are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated.

Now as per the real sentence the people is refered to generally and not specifically the lot "who are willing to believe". IMO option B changes the meaning.

In option D:
I can see that "they" is ambiguous however it does not make sense to say "the bulls" are willing to believe... How does anyone think that "the bulls" will believe?? :shock:

Hence I went with B. :oops: Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Dom.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618816 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tarek99 wrote:
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated

b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.

d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be.

e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The sentence sets up a comparison between Dobermans and German shepherds on one hand and pit bulls on the other. The beginnings of the choices give you a standard 3-2 split, so start with the choices beginning Unlike since there are three of them. (A) and (E) don't compare dogs to dogs so eliminate them. The remaining three choices create grammatically correct parallels, but (C) and (D) are wordier and less active than (B), so (B) is the best bet. We'll discuss active and passive voices later on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
"Even while" is not quite right--it implies that these things are happening at the same time, when the point is to make a clear contrast. However, even if we used "even though," we would not have a great answer choice. Notice that the sentence ends with the unclear "might be." We know the intention is "might be domesticated," but it's better to choose a sentence that makes the point more clearly.

For me, though, the worst part is "domesticated even while." We seem to be modifying "domesticated" instead of the belief, and the ambiguous "they" does nothing to help. For instance, I might say "Dobermans can be domesticated even while they are puppies." In other words, they can be domesticated even under these particular circumstances. (B) avoids that oddly-placed modifier and the unclear "they."

DmitryFarber , AjiteshArun

I eliminated B because it says "the same of pitbulls". Shouldn't it be " The same for pitbulls??" Please help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:
DmitryFarber , AjiteshArun

I eliminated B because it says "the same of pitbulls". Shouldn't it be " The same for pitbulls??" Please help
Although it could sound "off", the same of is a valid structure. Here are a couple of examples to help you develop a feel for this phrase:

South Korea is unlikely to start a conflict, but we cannot say the same of North Korea.
This means that North Korea is likely to start a conflict.

We are ready to consider an alternate supplier. Can we say the same of the other team?
This means that we are not sure that the other team is also ready to consider an alternate supplier.

Finally, here is the official question that this question is based on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated

b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.

d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be.

e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.

Please help me understand the construction of the question-with option B as the right fit. Can "the same" refer to the modifier? As fas as I understand the modifier has information that is essential for the sentence to make sense so there should be no comma between people and willing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
LBS2020 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Please help me understand the construction of the question-with option B as the right fit. Can "the same" refer to the modifier? As fas as I understand the modifier has information that is essential for the sentence to make sense so there should be no comma between people and willing.

When you quote you get the option to write to an expert I suggest you use that option to get the right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
Send PM
Can the use of "even while" be considered redundant?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Doesn't (B) remove the comparision factor between the pitbulls and doberman or german shepards ?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saliak
No, "even while" does have a valid meaning, even if it doesn't work well here. For instance, I might say "I wear a suit and tie every day, even while mowing the lawn."
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts