GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 13:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 May 2019, 01:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:29) correct 46% (01:39) wrong based on 161 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies--- Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong

(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

Originally posted by batliwala on 19 Apr 2004, 01:44.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 May 2019, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Re: Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 08:13
A - Compares the lives of ... to Chekhov (illogical)
B - Claims Chekhov belong to the twentieth century (illogical)
D - Compares Chekhov's life to biographies (illogical)
E - Compares Chekhov;s life to biographies (illogical)

Only C makes the correct comparison
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2010, 23:49
student26 wrote:
Unlike the lives of Pushkin,Gogol,Tolstoi and Detoevski,subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

A. Unlike the lives of Pushkin,Gogol,Tolstoi and Detoevski,subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs
B. Chekhnov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin,Gogol,Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
C. The life of Chekhnov,unlike the lives of the ubjects of other Troyat biographies Puskin,Gogol,Tolstol and Dostoevski,belongs
D. chekov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies-Puskin,Gogol,Tolstoi, and Dostoevski,belong
E. The life of Chekov , unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Puskin,Gogol,Tolstoi,and Dostoevski,belongs

I thought the answer to be "E". Can anyone explain this question?

A falsely compares lives of Pushkin, Gogol~ to Chekhov.
B compares Chekhov to the other biographies. wrong!

C correctly compares the life of Chekhov to the lives of the subjects (people).
D Chekhov and his life? unlike that of biographies? This doesn't even make sense.
E is incorrect because 'the life of Chekhov' is compared to the life of biographies'

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 16:01
Unlike the lives of Pushkin,Gogol,Tolstoi and Detoevski,subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

A. Unlike the lives of Pushkin,Gogol,Tolstoi and Detoevski,subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs -lives compared to Chekhov
B. Chekhnov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin,Gogol,Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs - Chekhov compared to biographies
C. The life of Chekhnov,unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies Puskin,Gogol,Tolstol and Dostoevski,belongs - correct, The life of Chekhnov is compared to the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies Puskin,Gogol,Tolstol
D. chekov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies-Puskin,Gogol,Tolstoi, and Dostoevski,belong - funny but seems that chekhov and his life are separate things, that is singular which is wrong, becauыe lives of Puskin,Gogol,Tolstoi,and Dostoevski are compared
E. The life of Chekov , unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Puskin,Gogol,Tolstoi,and Dostoevski,belongs - that is singular which is wrong, becauыe lives of Puskin,Gogol,Tolstoi,and Dostoevski are compared

that - singular
those - prular.

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 10:35
Before we delve, let us appreciate that five arms of the lives of some people are being compared with one arm namely the life of Chekhov and not just four arms as many seem to interpret. The five arms of the first part are 1. the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies 2. the life of Pushkin 3. the life of Gogoi 4. the life of Tolstoy and 5. the life of Dostoevsky. The first four arms have to be separated by ‘a comma’ and conjunction ‘and’ from the last arm.
If you want to just refer to only four arms, then there is no need to say other Troyat biographies. Secondly if you intended only four arms, then the right way to say that is: The life of Chekhov, unlike those of Troyat biographies of people such as Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs

(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs ….. Both serial //ism and comparison are wrong

B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs …. Wrong: comparing a person with biographies

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs….. Life compared with lives. Right choice.

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies -Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, -belong …. 1. ‘[color=#0040FF]Unlike that of’ is wrong – you need to say ‘unlike those of’ 2. ‘The other biographies’ seems to describe the four others. This is wrong representation.
[/color]
(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs ….. [color=#0000FF]‘Unlike that of’ is wrong as in D.

[/color]
Concentration: Marketing, Technology

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 11:19
@ daagh
Your lucid explanation made me to look through this SC differently.

But doesn't that change the meaning intended in original sentence? In the original sentence, the placement of "lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski," just next to "subjects of other Troyat biographies" intends that the first 4 fingers(lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski) specified category of fingers "subjects of other Troyat biographies"

From your perspective, the sentence C looks good to me now.

Also one more thing, if I need to correct B and I go by your last comments on B, then will it seem something like::>
B) The biography of Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs

Please let me know your version for B
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 22:39
A major correction: I would like to present a major correction in my stand. I had not known what a Troyat biography was. When I googled for Troyat biographies, I learnt that the phrase stands for the biographies on the lives of famous Russian celebrities including Chekhov written by the French author Troyat. So I agree that the word ‘other’ simply stands for differentiating Chekhov from other similar Russians. Therefore the second part comprises only four arms, which are all Troyat biographies. I thoroughly agree with ‘joshnsit’ on both his points. (‘joshnsit’ :Your revised B choice is perfectly amended)
I mistook Troyat biographies as if they are some special kind of literary pieces that differed from other ordinary biographies. Wouldn’t it have been better to call them biographies by Troyat?

That ignored, this is simply a question of comparing similar things and so there is no change in the answer choice C. My comments on individual choices stand good except for the muddled thinking on Troyat biographies.

About the contention that in C, the life of Chekhov is being compared with biographies may not be right. Look at the wordings: “The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of” C just compares life with lives. Life is being compared neither with subjects nor with biographies. Perfect
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 11:25
Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs
--> wrong comparison

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs =======================
--> wrong comparison Chekov is compared to biographies

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
--> CORRECT

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies—Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong
--> WRONG COMPARISON

(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
--> wrong comparison

I will go with C .

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 15:16
Let me take a hack at this :):

First off, anticipate many false comparisons. That is we want to be comparing Pushkin to other authors or the life of Pushkin to those of other authors -----> author vs. authors; life of author vs. life of authors

Chekhov is being compared to the 'lives of' -----> Incorrect

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

Chekhov is being compared to biographies ------> Incorrect

Life of Chekhov is being compared to 'the lives of subjects' (life vs. lives) so we have a valid comparison. ANSWER

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies—Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong

A couple of things wrong here. First off, Chekhov AND his life are being compared to other biographies. Secondly, the dashes should enclose. Here, instead of a second dash we have a comma. ------> Incorrect

Here it is being implied that all of Troyat biographies have one life, "unlike THAT of other Troyat biographies..." where THAT refers to 'life.' -----> Incorrect

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 23:27
Comparisons must be between "like" things. So the "kind/nature" of the things being compared, and not the number, matters.
For example, you cannot say:
Jack's house is bigger than Jill.
But you can say:
Jack's house is bigger than his friends' (houses).

If the latter comparison weren't allowed, then you would need to write a separate sentence for each "life" comparison!

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 02:45
I think C is the best choice.It has the correct comparison between life of Chekhov and the lives of subjects in other novels.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2019, 01:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects   [#permalink] 30 May 2019, 01:59

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics