Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
swikrityC wrote:
Here set of strings (set is singular) so I used the singular verb 'runs'.

Hi swikrityC,

It is possible for the that in a single set of strings that to refer to strings. That's why we see the plural verb run in option D. As for option C, try to take a call on the basis of the comparison (we don't want to hide the harpsichord inside a prepositional phrase).
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Athena22 wrote:
In the original question (OG2022- Wiley efficient learning application), the correct choice (official answer) is D with a significant difference that made it difficult for me to choose the correct option. Option D is stated as " which has a single set of strings that RUNS parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpischord has several sets of strings". Is it a typo??

You're onto something here. Every other GMAC publication containing this problem has "run" in choice D.

Perhaps surprisingly, though, the difference doesn't affect the integrity of the problem—Choice D is still a perfectly workable version of the sentence.

If you don't understand why, just picture the inside of the virginal. Somewhere in there, you'll find a bunch of strings that are all parallel to one of the outer (probably wooden) edges of the whole thing—and therefore also parallel to one another.
The following descriptions are, therefore, indistinguishable:
• The strings run parallel to one edge of the instrument.
• The whole set of strings runs parallel to one edge of the instrument.
Both of these describe exactly the same situation, because an entire set of parallel lines runs in the same direction as each of the individual lines.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
lary301254M7 wrote:
(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings

Is it because "a single set" doesn't run parallel to the front edge and because the "strings" run parallel
so we use the verb "run" instead of "runs"?

The subject for verb - run - is -> pronoun - that - and that refers back to springs. Since springs is a plural noun hence verb - run takes a plural form.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Kudos
Quote:
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are

(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are

(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings

(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

Here, there are 2 parts in this sentence correction: one is underlined part and the other is non-underlined part. In GMAT, the non-underlined part is always considered as legit. So, we need to take care of the underlined part.
In non-underlined part, its indicates something singular. So, its 's :) antecedent must be singular.
A) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
B) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
C) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
D) harpsichord ==> singular, keep it
E) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
So, the correct choice is

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
In apparently, it seems that we're going to make comparison between 'virginal' and 'harpsichord'; we're going to make comparison between what they possess, actually.

In this official example, 'Harpsichord' possesses something which is different from 'Virginal' does.
But, in this example, 'strings' is SAME for both instruments. We're just going to make creativity/comparison in 'single set' and in 'several sets'.
This is not creativity. The comparison is strictly between the nouns virginal and harpsichord. To check the comparison being made in this sentence, you should check only the noun introduced by (the object of) unlike (the virginal) and the subject of the clause (the harpsichord).

Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.
or
Unlike the virginal, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.

The portion that you seem to be worried about just has extra information that has nothing to do with our checking whether the comparison is logical. For example:

Unlike cars, planes have two wings.
Here the comparison is fine, although the reader could think that cars also have (1, 3, 4...) wings.

Unlike cars, which have wheels, planes have two wings.
Here the comparison is fine, and the reader is not likely to think that cars have wings.

Unlike cars, which have four wheels, planes have two wings.
The comparison is fine, and the reader is not likely to think that cars have wings.

The comparison is fine in all 3 sentences (ignore the fact that some cars do have wings :)). Adding additional information about cars does not make the comparison incorrect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun wrote:
Raj30 wrote:
Can 'whose' modify inanimate subjects?
Yes. We can use whose to refer to inanimate objects as well.

Thanks AjiteshArun!

To illustrate that point, consider the following example:

• "The building whose roof collapsed during last month's snow storm has been repaired and reopened."

This is a perfectly fine example of using "whose" to modify an inanimate object.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The golden rule in tackling comparisons is to verify whether parallel things are compared. To make life simple, the first arm names a noun, namely, Virginal, a musical instrument and it is not underlined. Now, therefore, we have to look forward consciously or unconsciously to another musical instrument in the second arm. Fortunately, by design or chance, all choices except D mention either several sets or its equivalents. The comparison ends there. In addition, we can verify that D has no errors too.
This is a valid comparison between two bare nouns and not with their attributes. This is the basic tenet of legal comparisons.

D is the choice in just a flick of the finger.

I am curious to know the difficulty level of this question.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CrushTHYGMAT wrote:
egmat, MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, can you please explain why the subject here is strings and not set? A noun in the prepositional phrase cannot be the subject of the clause and the noun 'strings' is a part of the prepositional phrase 'of strings'. How can we then have strings to be subject of the verb run/runs?

I understand meaning-wise why it makes sense for strings to be the subject here. But what about the rule then?

Is sub-verb agreement even an issue in this sentence? Or I should have looked at other decision points such as parallelism?

Thank you!

Hi CrushTHYGMAT.

It's not clear which version of the sentence in this question you are asking about. To answer your question, we need more clarity regarding what you're asking.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CrushTHYGMAT wrote:
egmat, MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, can you please explain why the subject here is strings and not set? A noun in the prepositional phrase cannot be the subject of the clause and the noun 'strings' is a part of the prepositional phrase 'of strings'. How can we then have strings to be subject of the verb run/runs?

I understand meaning-wise why it makes sense for strings to be the subject here. But what about the rule then?

Hi CrushTHYGMAT,

I'm not sure which rule you're referring to, but in the noun phrase a single set of strings that run parallel, strings is not the subject of run. The word that introduces a relative clause here, and that is the subject of run. That points to some noun before it, but there's no easy "rule" that we can apply to figure out what it refers to. In other words, a relative pronoun may or may not refer to a noun within a prepositional phrase.

1. a single set of strings [that run parallel...] ← When we see only a verb after a relative pronoun (that) in a relative clause ([that run parallel...]), that relative pronoun is the subject of that verb (run).

The next step, figuring out what a relative refers to, isn't always easy, but if you tell us which rule you're trying to apply here, it's more likely that you'll receive responses that could help you take a call on how reliable that rule is.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
Everything else makes sense, I got stuck between C & D. My ideal choice would have been D but I saw something in C. So in C , we have a single set of strings that runs _______, here "that" modifies strings or single set of strings? coz this will determine the usage of verb run (singular or plural)

In C, "that" modifies "set" because of the presence of the verb "runs".
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle sir,
If in option C, "that" refers to set, then can we eliminate option C on the basis that it is not the set but the strings that run parallel?

Please advise

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, this is indeed valid reasoning for eliminating Option C.

Kudos.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
StringArgs wrote:
adkikani wrote:
lary301254M7 wrote:

Is it because "a single set" doesn't run parallel to the front edge and because the "strings" run parallel

The subject for verb - run - is -> pronoun - that - and that refers back to springs. Since springs is a plural noun hence verb - run takes a plural form.

Hope this helps.

What I gathered here was that because of 'that' which refers to the noun before (strings) we were sure that the verb would be plural (run).
But I'm wondering if 'a single set of strings' is ever singular. As 'a group of people' is plural (collective), shouldnt 'a single set(collective) of strings' also always be plural? But then why is 'a basket of apples' singular?

GMATNinja, KarishmaB could you please clear my understanding. I seem to have dug a hole for myself.

Whether you use singular or plural depends on what you are referring to.

I have of string of pearls that were harvested in a remote area of Africa.

'that' refers to 'pearls' surely. We cannot harvest a string of pearls. We harvest pearls and then put them in a string. So we use plural 'were.'

I have a string of pearls that is very expensive.

Now we are talking about the string so we use singular 'is.' Though we say that 'that' refers to the immediately preceding noun, it is not always the case. Sometimes 'that' could refer to a noun before a prepositional phrase. We have to look at the context.
Ideally, we would re-write this as: I have a very expensive string of pearls.

A string of pearls is a perfect accessory with any dress.

Again we are talking about the entire string so we use the singular 'is.'
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
StringArgs wrote:
adkikani wrote:
lary301254M7 wrote:

Hope this helps.

What I gathered here was that because of 'that' which refers to the noun before (strings) we were sure that the verb would be plural (run).
But I'm wondering if 'a single set of strings' is ever singular. As 'a group of people' is plural (collective), shouldnt 'a single set(collective) of strings' also always be plural? But then why is 'a basket of apples' singular?
GMATNinja, KarishmaB could you please clear my understanding. I seem to have dug a hole for myself.

Hello StringArgs,

We hope this finds you well.

To clarify, collective nouns are actually always singular.

The phrase "a group of people" refers to a singular unit - "group" - made up of multiple people.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Akhilleus wrote:
I understand that D is the only correct option. But what about an agreement between "a single set" and "run"? Does it have to be 'runs' to comply with a singular subject?

You're right, "run" doesn't work with "set." Because the verb is plural, "that run parallel to the front edge" MUST modify a plural noun.

Luckily, there's a plural noun (strings) right next to the noun modifier ("that run parallel..."). And since the strings themselves can certainly run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the modifier and its verb make perfect sense.

You'll find more on this point earlier in the thread:

IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi Experts,
My query is regarding option (C)
Here that as a subject refers to - single set of strings.
I think we need a singular verb- runs - instead of plural verb - run after that.
WR,
Arpit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Experts,
Please find my analysis below:-

Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
=> Illogical comparison between the virginal and the harpsichord’s several sets.

(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are
=>Illogical comparison between the virginal and the several sets of strings

(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are
=> two comparisons are used "Unlike" and "in the case of ". It is redundant.

=> The comparison between the virginal and the harpsichord is absolutely correct. Use of "Which" is absolutely correct.

(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
=> Illogical comparison the virginal and the harpsichord’s several sets. And also use of "in which" is strange.

ANS :- D

Please review and let me know if I am going wrong anywhere
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts