Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32879 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Unseasonable weather in the months before a wine harvest can cool vine [#permalink]
Unseasonable weather in the months before a wine harvest can cool vineyards in the Bordeaux region enough to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create unwanted moisture that can cause mold in some grape varieties and deterioration in others.

there is an issue of parallelism in D and E...it should be "to affect and create" this D and E are out
One need "and" before create so A and C are out

(A) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create---AND is missing before "create"

(B) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, and create--right option

(C) that the overall size of the grapes themselves are affected, create----three mistakes....1)"that" after "enough" is wrong 2) changing the overall meaning as unseasonable weather can cool vineyards TO affect and Create 3) "and" before create

(D) that it affects the overall size of the grapes themselves, creates---Creates is wrong and one need to put AND before "Create" as unseasonable weather has two impacts, affect the size and create unwanted moisture--->"that" is also wrong

(E) that the size of the grapes are affected and creates---same mistakes as D
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Unseasonable weather in the months before a wine harvest can cool vine [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sananoor wrote:
Unseasonable weather in the months before a wine harvest can cool vineyards in the Bordeaux region enough to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create unwanted moisture that can cause mold in some grape varieties and deterioration in others.

there is an issue of parallelism in D and E...it should be "to affect and create" this D and E are out
One need "and" before create so A and C are out

(A) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create---AND is missing before "create"

(B) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, and create--right option

(C) that the overall size of the grapes themselves are affected, create----three mistakes....1)"that" after "enough" is wrong 2) changing the overall meaning as unseasonable weather can cool vineyards TO affect and Create 3) "and" before create

(D) that it affects the overall size of the grapes themselves, creates---Creates is wrong and one need to put AND before "Create" as unseasonable weather has two impacts, affect the size and create unwanted moisture--->"that" is also wrong

(E) that the size of the grapes are affected and creates---same mistakes as D

sananoor

Just an add-on - the simplified nesting structure is as follows:

Weather cools Vineyards enough to affect size and (to) create moisture. [ W cools V enough to do 2 things... thing 1: affect size and thing 2:create moisture]

The moisture can cause mold and deterioration. [The moisture can cause 2 things .. thing 2.1: mold and 2.2: deterioration]

The things 2.1 and 2.2 are nested within the thing 2.

The above way of thinking may be helpful in solving parallelism problems with high complexity.

Hence the combined structure would be:

Weather cools Vineyards enough to affect size and (to) create moisture that can cause mold and deterioration.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
Schools: Mannheim"17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
carcass wrote:

(A) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create

(B) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, and create

(C) that the overall size of the grapes themselves are affected, create

(D) that it affects the overall size of the grapes themselves, creates

(E) that the size of the grapes are affected and creates

Hi
the Q tests on parallelism and verb..
1) parallelism:- when we read the sentence , we see that enough to affect ..., and create... is the correct way to establish parallelism between affect and create..
2) verb:- create is the correct usage..

Only B remains

I have a question here. I feel that the usage of list is wrong here. I suppose a,b,and c is a right usage while a,and b is wrong.
Please acknowledge
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
RatneshS wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
carcass wrote:

(A) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create

(B) to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, and create

(C) that the overall size of the grapes themselves are affected, create

(D) that it affects the overall size of the grapes themselves, creates

(E) that the size of the grapes are affected and creates

Hi
the Q tests on parallelism and verb..
1) parallelism:- when we read the sentence , we see that enough to affect ..., and create... is the correct way to establish parallelism between affect and create..
2) verb:- create is the correct usage..

Only B remains

I have a question here. I feel that the usage of list is wrong here. I suppose a,b,and c is a right usage while a,and b is wrong.
Please acknowledge

Hi,
you are correct in your observation..
But it is not that you can never have 'comma' before 'and'.
whenever you are joining two independent clauses with 'and' , you will use 'comma'..

example:-
1) He is very bold and stubborn..
2) He is very bold, and he is stubborn.

in this Q you are correct, COMMA should not be used for teh reason mentioned above, both 'affect and 'create' refer to same subject..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Given Kudos: 130