GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

URGENT HELP - MiF - LBS, LSE, HEC & Oxford

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.92
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
URGENT HELP - MiF - LBS, LSE, HEC & Oxford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 17:03
Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask what's your opinion on what are my chances to get accepted in one of the following MSc Programmes. Taking into account the following profile, what should be my GMAT score so that it's very likely that I get accepted in one of the following:
- LBS: Masters Financial Analysis
- LSE: MSc in Finance
- HEC: MSc International Finance
- Oxford: MSc Financial Economics

Right now, my GMAT score is around 700.

Personal: Age 24. Lisbon - Portuguese. White male.

Academic Profile:
International Undergraduate Program in Economics at Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics (Portugal)
- GPA: 17,32/20. Top student of my class (1st out of 65)
- Holder of a Católica Top+ Scholarship: Full scholarship awarded to students with an outstanding academic record.
Exchange Semester, Università Bocconi:
- Relevant Coursework: Public Finance: 30/30, Corporate Valuation: 29/30, Introduction to Options and Futures: 29/30
Summer School: LSE, Finance

Work Profile
- KPMG M&A Summer Intern, Deal Advisory Division, Lisbon – Portugal (2 months in 2017 - 1st year undergraduate)
- BNP Paribas Spring Week, Lisbon (1 week - 2019)
- Invited Teaching Assistant of Corporate Finance at Católica-Lisbon SBE, Lisbon - Portugal - Invited to lecture Finance I classes to 2nd year undergraduate students (since September)
- Currently working at a Portuguese stock-listed firm (the name of the firm is my surname), in which my family is the majority shareholder. It is a multinational corporation with over 10.000 employees in more than 10 countries.

Extracurriculars
- CFA Level I June 2020’ candidate
- Head of Portfolio Management and previously Financial Markets Analyst at CLIP (Finance Club: Católica-Lisbon Investment Partners): Principal of a MSc and UG students´ team that performs stock analysis and undertakes investment decisions with CLIP’s funds. Published articles in Newsletters that circulated across university.
- Consultant at C&CL (Consulting Club: Católica and Consulting Linked)
- University Football Team: In the first 2 years of university, I was part of the team that plays in the Top Portuguese College Football Division
- Voluntary Work: Summer 2018’, taught Math, Portuguese and Basic Science classes to students from 1st to 4th year

Thank you for your time!
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: URGENT HELP - MiF - LBS, LSE, HEC & Oxford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 03:52
Hey there,
You have a strong profile - GPA, Exchange semesters work out for you. Having KPMG on your resume is a highlighting factor as well. You need to highlight the experience and the major achievements you had while you worked at the company.
You have a CFA, strong social volunteering experience,team-work experience, etc this adds weightage to your profile and differentiates you from your competitors. You will be competing with applicants with a wider experience in finance, so make sure to highlight all your finance-related activities.
Your GMAT score is a bit on the lower end but as you have a pretty strong profile this score can work out for you. You have highly selective schools in your list - LSE, LSE, HEC, Oxford. You have a decent chance of getting in the same if you have a strong differentiating application.
Though if you are confident of improving your score by 30+ points you can also retake GMAT else with a strong application these colleges are reachable.
If you want to check out how we can help you, take a look at our all in one service here: https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one?%20gmat-club

If you have any other queries feel free to drop me a mail at support@mim-essay.com. I will be happy to help you with your queries and application process. Also, if you are planning to apply for 2020 intake let me know I would be happy to schedule a call and discuss your queries.

PS - The initial consulting call is absolutely free:)

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.15

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 05:14
MiMEssay wrote:
Hey there,

You have a CFA, strong social volunteering experience,team-work experience, etc this adds weightage to your profile and differentiates you from your competitors. You will be competing with applicants with a wider experience in finance, so make sure to highlight all your finance-related activities.

I do believe that he is a "candidate" for CFA level 1, but has not actually taken the exam. No doubt though with his strong academic profile, he should be able to pass.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2020, 22:29
Hi,

I just got accepted into MSc Finance and Economics at LSE. I was also offered at ESADE and invited to interview in HEC MSc Financial Economics and rejected in MFA at LBS.
I can tell you that you have a pretty strong profile, even stronger than mine haha. I had 690 in the GMAT, q50, v34. My only "advantage" compared to you is that I'm from South America, but I feel that you must have big chances to get into at least one of the programs that you list.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 07:30
Hello again!

Unfortunately, I only got a 700 today (Q49, V35, IR8).
What do you feel about my chances to enroll in these programs?

I have another exam booked for February 28th, in case I want to repeat. But do you think that I should devote the last month, before application deadlines arrive, writing motivational letters or should I try to increase my GMAT Score.
I had score 730 and 760 in the mock exams in the last few days.
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 08:03
Well, 700 is a good score. Motivational letters are really important and what about your recommendation letters? I had two strong from professors with very good positioning.
If you have time to improve the GMAT score it would be nice, but first I would focus on having those two items well done.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 08:24
rodrigosotov wrote:
Well, 700 is a good score. Motivational letters are really important and what about your recommendation letters? I had two strong from professors with very good positioning.
If you have time to improve the GMAT score it would be nice, but first I would focus on having those two items well done.

Good luck

rodrigosotov Thanks for the reply.
Actually, I think one of my application strengths are my recommendation letters. I have some former Professors, who know me very well, that wrote good recommendations from what they told me. Also, I managed to get a previous alumni of LBS and current CEO of an Asset Management firm to write me a recommendation letter.
How long do you believe that it would take to write 4 motivational letters?
Re: URGENT HELP - MiF - LBS, LSE, HEC & Oxford   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2020, 08:24

URGENT HELP - MiF - LBS, LSE, HEC & Oxford

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, Mo2men