GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

USC Marshall vs UCSD Rady?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school/program should I choose?

• 83% [5]
  • 16% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
USC Marshall vs UCSD Rady?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 10:42
I was admitted to these two schools in different programs, and want to know what my best option is if my goal after graduation is to continue working in tech, specifically as either a project manager or a product designer.

1. USC Marshall MS in Global Supply Chain Management (1 year program)
2. UCSD Rady Full-time MBA with small scholarship (2 year program, will be 2x cost of USC)

I applied to supply chain program because I wanted a chance to get into Marshall but felt like their MBA might be too competitive admission-wise. I am really torn and have been weighing the pros and cons for a long time, but really need some advice about which program to choose. Based on rankings, Rady seems to be low on many lists, but it seems they invested a lot of money on their new bschool facilities in the past few years, and their MBA program is tech-focused. What are your thoughts?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 09:26
Bump- can anyone provide insights or answer the poll? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: USC Marshall vs UCSD Rady?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 09:26
mermi67 wrote:
I was admitted to these two schools in different programs, and want to know what my best option is if my goal after graduation is to continue working in tech, specifically as either a project manager or a product designer.

1. USC Marshall MS in Global Supply Chain Management (1 year program)
2. UCSD Rady Full-time MBA with small scholarship (2 year program, will be 2x cost of USC)

I applied to supply chain program because I wanted a chance to get into Marshall but felt like their MBA might be too competitive admission-wise. I am really torn and have been weighing the pros and cons for a long time, but really need some advice about which program to choose. Based on rankings, Rady seems to be low on many lists, but it seems they invested a lot of money on their new bschool facilities in the past few years, and their MBA program is tech-focused. What are your thoughts?

I recommend you go with USC, Ranking wise it's far ahead of Rady and one of the best school in US.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 09:54
USC Marshall makes sense, both ranking wise and economically.

GMAT:710 (Q49,V38,IR8,AWA5)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 08:28
Thanks for the input. Does ranking really matter that much for an MBA, or do recruiters tend to not look at the school name once you are past your first job postgrad?
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 05:55
mermi67 wrote:
Thanks for the input. Does ranking really matter that much for an MBA, or do recruiters tend to not look at the school name once you are past your first job postgrad?

ranking matters a lot
also look at employment data of the college to see what companies recruit there

GMAT:710 (Q49,V38,IR8,AWA5)
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 13:31
I think people here may not have read what you shared. I would assume the MBA recruiting is different from the program you were admitted to (correct me if wrong, employment reports didn't share enough). I think you need to think a bit more about what your goal is--the MBA experience is a different one that a one year program just to have the name on the resume.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 00:20
My two cents is do not choose a supply chain program if your goal is to be a product manager, unless you want a role at a supply chain company and a career in supply chain. I think you could achieve the goal of becoming a PM by attending Rady and focusing the two years on studying the needed background to be a PM (if they have tech focused courses) and finding yourself a role at a company in LA or San Diego.

Frankly speaking, you may be better served by studying up for GMAT and attending a better program. If this is not possible for you, I believe Rady is the better choice to achieve your goals.
GMAT Club Bot
USC Marshall vs UCSD Rady?   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2019, 00:20

USC Marshall vs UCSD Rady?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap