Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

USC vs NYU vs Kellogg for a career in entertainment / film

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: USC vs Stern vs Kellogg for Entertainment [#permalink]
USC as a school is in complete free fall downwards. It's rank has slipped to almost 30. It's job placement rate is only 67%. It's salary data is horrible. Go to Kellogg, it's top 5. Business School is a brand, and it is not a good brand right now.

If you really want to go to school in LA, go to ucla.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
USC as a school is in complete free fall downwards. It's rank has slipped to almost 30. It's job placement rate is only 67%. It's salary data is horrible. Go to Kellogg, it's top 5. Business School is a brand, and it is not a good brand right now.

If you really want to go to school in LA, go to ucla.

If it were USC vs Kellogg at the topside, I'd 100% agree with you. In regard to breaking into the film industry alone, I'm not so sure. And UCLA is great, I just got a better vibe at USC - again only speaking to the film industry aspect. I'm curious if studio execs look at rankings or is the brand really more about who you know? Anyone working in the industry?
Director
Director
Send PM
Kellogg as a media and entertainment club, you should reach out to them:
https://kellogg.campusgroups.com/mec/web ... b_url2=mec

I think it would be absolutely insane to choose USC over Kellogg.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
Kellogg as a media and entertainment club, you should reach out to them:

I think it would be absolutely insane to choose USC over Kellogg.

I have. They're great and it's a strong program for sure but nowhere near as strong as USC's in terms of job placement in LA's film industry and that's solely based on connections. Kellogg places less than 5% in entertainment.

I guess I'm answering all my own questions - it's just difficult to grasp that a 2nd or 3rd tier school could be better than a top tier in anything.
Director
Director
Send PM
WAY more people want to go into entertainment at USC than Kellogg, so I wouldn't go by the placement figures. Kellogg has on campus recruitment for entertainment, so it's certainly not all based on connections.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Kudos
I think you're asking and answering the right questions. As someone leaning towards a field other than consulting/finance myself, I've found that rankings are not a huge determinant in fields like entertainment.

SC's placement is huge, especially when you can tap into something like the Trojan network. A close friend of mine applied only to Haas, Anderson and Marshall 6 years ago, was admitted to all 3, and chose Marshall. He hasn't looked back ever since. He said it's much easier connecting with major studios that have a daily and huge presence on campus at SC. He also took several classes at the School of Cinematic Arts (which if you're familiar with graduate programs in in Entertainment, is in a league of its own) literally being taught my network executives themselves.

It is true USC has taken a dip in rankings. There's been some amount of information written about turnover in their career services office that has pulled down vital statistics like job placement. That said I don't think it's at all a direction they'll continue to head. They pulled Stern's former head of career services and seem to be running much smoother now. For someone who knows what they want to do like yourself, I think there's no denying the doors Marshall can open for you.

This isn't a position like consulting or finance where you'll be actively pit against others as an applicant to duke it out over smarts. This is all about who you know - this is Hollywood. Call it what you may but I think SC is a no brainer on this. Even against a HUGE and AMAZING name like Kellogg. Use LinkedIn to see what schools make up the majority of employees at whatever studio you're looking into. This was particularly telling research I did myself.

I've had a similar issue trying to justify the importance of fit over ranking and in doing so have really fallen in love with SC.

I'd like to think as people who have turned down "better" programs we'll likely be able to shine at a school like SC. One of the most frustrating realities of being at any b school is that you will at some point be competing against your classmates for positions from firms that recruit on campus for a limited number of spots. I'd like to feel like I'm in the upper echelon of an applicant pool during such times and if you were admitted to Kellogg I'm sure that's exactly where you'll be relative to others at SC.

Good luck! You obviously can't lose in a situation like yours!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you both. Looking at what I want my b school experience to be, I really think I'm going to go with SC on this one. I want to live the LA / Hollywood studio lifestyle 24/7 and feel like Marshall is the best place to do it for all the reasons and more Christine listed above. MGH, Kellogg is an amazing place and I'm honored to even be talking about it - for me USC just fits. We'll see what I'm saying about it a year from now but I really feel like USC is going to be my spring board to amazing things.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
nycmbaer wrote:
Thank you both. Looking at what I want my b school experience to be, I really think I'm going to go with SC on this one. I want to live the LA / Hollywood studio lifestyle 24/7 and feel like Marshall is the best place to do it for all the reasons and more Christine listed above. MGH, Kellogg is an amazing place and I'm honored to even be talking about it - for me USC just fits. We'll see what I'm saying about it a year from now but I really feel like USC is going to be my spring board to amazing things.

Might be a little bit crass in terms of advice, but I would apply to all three first (maybe figure out if there any others) and then decide based on where you get in. This may drive unfortunately drive your decision one way or another.

I think it is important for you to be comfortable saying can I attend xyz goal and still achieve my desired post-grad job. I.e. can Kellogg/Stern/USC place me into film. Yes, but to what degree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I have nothing much to add to the discussion but your interests in LA, film, AND entertainment seem like USC is the ideal fit. It has a world renowned film school and deep connections in that industry which seems aligned with your career interests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Marshall has slipped in the rankings, which does matter if you're forking out a large chunk of money and quitting your job to attend, in my personal opinion. As someone who wants to stay in CA long-term, I didn't apply to Marshall for that reason. However, at the same time, if you're set on the film industry, and aren't going to explore anything else (say, tech), it could be a perfect fit.

I agree with the above poster that said to just see where you get in and go from there. Having gone through the process, you may or may not have a choice on which school (of the ones you've applied to) you'll be attending. Just be sure to do your research and choose a few schools that you would attend IF it was the only school that you were admitted to. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EngineeringMBA wrote:
Marshall has slipped in the rankings, which does matter if you're forking out a large chunk of money and quitting your job to attend, in my personal opinion. As someone who wants to stay in CA long-term, I didn't apply to Marshall for that reason. However, at the same time, if you're set on the film industry, and aren't going to explore anything else (say, tech), it could be a perfect fit.

I agree with the above poster that said to just see where you get in and go from there. Having gone through the process, you may or may not have a choice on which school (of the ones you've applied to) you'll be attending. Just be sure to do your research and choose a few schools that you would attend IF it was the only school that you were admitted to. Best of luck!

Thanks! So here's the situation, I've been admitted for Marshall (and a few others) and wait listed by NYU but feel pretty good about my odds. I was toying with the idea of Kellogg just to see if I got in but I'm not sure if it's worth it due to the overwhelming arrows pointing to SC. I wanted everyone's input to all this to be completely objective hence the omission of this before.

All that said, I am dead set on film and want the absolute best possibility of attaining connections within studios around Hollywood.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Curious if you're a career changer or someone with film experience.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
christinemmx86 wrote:
Curious if you're a career changer or someone with film experience

I've had some in NY but for all intents, a career switcher.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
nycmbaer wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:

Not doubting you in any way, but what draws you so strongly to film/entertainment then? It's something I'm definitely interested in, but it seems like you definitely need to make some significant trade-offs to join the industry.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A meaningless question if you have already applied but Is there any reason for you to not have considered Haas or Anderson? Either will give you the location advantage plus they are as tough or "easier" to get into than Kellogg and Stern..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
nycmbaer wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:

Not doubting you in any way, but what draws you so strongly to film/entertainment then? It's something I'm definitely interested in, but it seems like you definitely need to make some significant trade-offs to join the industry.

Yes and no. I've been working in television / film / stage / production / acting in some capacity for the last ten years - all supported by a job in finance. When I said I'm switching careers I meant more along the lines of what I want to do isn't exactly what I'm doing now; more a combination of it all. I understand potential sacrifices but also potential gains and am pretty dead set on it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
A meaningless question if you have already applied but Is there any reason for you to not have considered Haas or Anderson? Either will give you the location advantage plus they are as tough or "easier" to get into than Kellogg and Stern..

Totally. I've already applied and really, for what I want to do, felt the best after touring and meeting folks from USC. Honestly after hearing all these points from everyone I've become so much more solidified in my choice to go to Marshall, so, thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts