GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2019, 00:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:54) correct 26% (00:55) wrong based on 349 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.

(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.

(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.

(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

Please explain why (B) is wrong.

IMO, in (B), using a Doppler ultrasound device is modifying Fetal heartbeats, which means that (B) can also be rephrased as

Fetal heartbeats, using a Doppler ultrasound device, can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

In the above rephrased sentence, is Fetal heartbeats the subject or the object? Please clarify.

Originally posted by eyunni on 16 Oct 2007, 14:14.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Apr 2019, 00:03, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:45
Hi,

Take a look at these sentences:

1. Wearing a designer outfit, Mary went to the party.

2. Arranging the books on the shelf, grandfather narrated a fairy tale to the children gathered in the room.

3. John decided to take his car to a garage, detecting problems in the engine.

4. The callers can avoid toll on home phones, using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls on weekends.

In all the above sentences, the verb-ing, either in the beginning of the IC or after the IC, modifies the doer of the action in the IC. If we use only the verb form of these verb-ing modifiers and rewrite every sentence in two simple sentences, then they would read:

1. Mary wore a designer outfit. She went to the party.

2. Grandfather arranged the books in the shelf. He narrated a fairy tale to the children.

3. John detected problems in the engine. He decided to take his car to a garage.

4. The callers can use their mobile phones to make long-distance calls on weekends. This way they can avoid toll charges on their home phones.

In a nutshell, the action shown through the verb-ing is performed by the doer of the IC. So we need a doer for that action denoted by the verb-ing.

Now let’s take the OG question answer choice B:
Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.

Now let’s see if the action denoted by the verb-ing modifier in this sentence can be attributed to the subject of the IC or not.

Fetal heartbeats can use a Doppler ultrasound device. Fetal heartbeats can be detected this way. Does the first sentence even make sense? Obviously no. So the verb denoted by the verb-ing cannot be attributed to the subject of the IC we need a doer of that action. Hence this answer choice is incorrect.

Now let us take a look at the correct answer choice:
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

Now let us repeat the same exercise:
A physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device. He can thus detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
Makes all the sense, right?

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 21:49
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.[/u]

(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
Incorrect: This is a dangling modifier. Who is using the ultra sound device? We can assume that the physician is, but with the way this sentence is structured (with fetal heartbeats coming after the initial clause), it is saying that fetal heartbeats use the ultrasound device, which is illogical.

(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
Incorrect: Because the two clauses are only separated by a comma, this is basically rewording the above sentence, it does not refer to who is using the ultrasound device

(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
Incorrect: A little tricky. It's another dangling modifier. From the first clause, you ask yourself "who/what is detecting fetal heartbeats. It makes sense to say a physician detects the heartbeats, but really the ultrasound device is what detects the heartbeats. A physician uses the ultrasound, but the ultrasound does the actual detecting.

(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
Incorrect: Again, it has a modifier problem. By the twelfth week of pregnancy, physicians can detect the fetal heartbeats

(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
Correct: Correct use of a modifier, physician directly follows the initial clause.
General Discussion
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2007, 15:02
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.[/b]

IMO, in (B), using a Doppler ultrasound device is modifying Fetal heartbeats, which means that (B) can also be rephrased as

Fetal heartbeats, using a Doppler ultrasound device, can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

The main reason B is wrong is that, the sentence is constructed in passive voice. From my reading, I remember that all of the choices can be correct but one will be the most correct. So never choose passive when there is alternative without passive among the choices.
Also, (B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy BY using a Doppler ultrasound device
so the underlined BY is missing as well
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2007, 06:08
Ravshonbek wrote:
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.[/b]

The main reason B is wrong is that, the sentence is constructed in passive voice. From my reading, I remember that all of the choices can be correct but one will be the most correct. So never choose passive when there is alternative without passive among the choices.
Also, (B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy BY using a Doppler ultrasound device
so the underlined BY is missing as well

My understanding is that it is not a 'crime' to use passive voice in GMAT. ManhattanGMAT says: The reason for not using passive voice is that it tends to be wordy. It is usually used in technical and scientific passages/sentences. The above SC is surely a scientific SC. I am still looking for a convincing reason why answer choice (B) is incorrect although (E) is in active voice. Can someone please clarify my doubt? Thanks.
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:00
Whenever you see a participial modifier, especially an introductory one, then the first task is to ask who or what is doing that function in the modifier phrase; Here the relevant question is who is using the Doppler device. If you do not have an answer within the sentence, then the issue is a classic case of a dangling modifier and we are required to introduce the modified immediately after the comma that sets off the participial phase. I think this aspect of the passage has not been brought out in the discussion. I repeat this is a case of a dangling modifier, with the modified subject missing from the sentence. The physician can be an appropriate user of the Doppler device

B is essentially wrong because of missing the physician. By bringing in the physician, the dangling modifier has been sorted out in E. That is the correct choice.

Although C accommodates the physician, the order of using and detecting is illogically reversed. Hence C is wrong.
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2012, 05:05
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
--> Passive

--> CORRECT

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 10:24
GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo VeritasPrepBrian egmat

can you please guide what is wrong with D? It seems to me that the doppler device is being used by the physician and the "By the twelfth week of pregnancy" is correctly placed before "fetal heart beats"

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 15:04
If we stopped at "detected," the sentence would be fine, but it falls apart after that. It's not clear who is using the device, since the physician is not included in the earlier action. Also, the modifier "by a physician" is not clearly connected to the action "can be detected." To get a sense of this structure, look at how it can be used with very different words:

By the twelfth day of school, students can be found smoking cigarettes by the Taco Bell.

Notice that here, "smoking cigarettes" shows the activity the students were found doing, and "by the Taco Bell" indicates where they were smoking. Now imagine applying this back to the original sentence. The heartbeats were detected, and what were the heartbeats doing? Using a device. Where were they using this device? By a physician!

Obviously, this is an absurd reading of the sentence, and it's not necessary that we read it that way, but this reading shows some of the problems that occur when we try to stack our adverbial modifiers together at the end. Notice that we could make this sentence work with a small change:

By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heartbeats can be detected through the use of a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.

Now "through the use" clearly modifies "can be detected," and we could stop after the word "device" without having to specify who is using tyhe device (since we didn't say "using"). When we add "by a physician," it clearly modifies the preceding noun phrase ("use of . . . device").

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 09:16
why is A wrong? apparently the doer doesn't exist in the original sentence. "Using x, y can be detected".. example : using a cloth, a shirt can be made.

Now the one who does this can be anyone, can be a tailor or a person who is not a tailor.

as per my understanding, had there been a doer in the original sentence, then option E would have been correct.

*can be detected by the end of .....* seems awkward in A....

I am confused !

GMATNinja egmat aragonn GMATNinjatwo daagh
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 09:48
Top Contributor
adit

(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy

In adjectival modifiers such as " using x' it is imperative that after the end of the modifier, the actual doer is must be mentioned forthwith. We must pay our obedience to grammar first. As per the tenets of the modification grammar, in the 'Doppler device' case, the construction may wrongly mean either that the fetal beats are using the device to detect something or that the twelfth week of pregnancy can detect fetal beats using the device. The importance of the passive voice using the specific phrase 'by the twelfth week of pregnancy' must be taken into account.

In sum, it may be noted that if there is an established and visible grammar error, we must acknowledge it, accept it, and go forward to save those golden few seconds in the exam.
B

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 06:36
When I saw "a physician" in choice (C), (D), and (E), I first thought these are wrong because it is a "new information", which is not present in the original sentence. It took me some time until I eventually compromised with my initial thought and chose (E).

So, is it okay to add "new information" in SC GMAT?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 07:44
OzCat4 wrote:
When I saw "a physician" in choice (C), (D), and (E), I first thought these are wrong because it is a "new information", which is not present in the original sentence. It took me some time until I eventually compromised with my initial thought and chose (E).

So, is it okay to add "new information" in SC GMAT?
Option A has no special significance. It is not any more (or less) likely to be correct than the other options are. That means that we should look at all 5 options and choose the one that conveys the intended meaning, without worrying about whether that meaning differs from the meaning in option A.
Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by   [#permalink] 23 May 2019, 07:44

Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics