GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that li

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that li [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jan 2018, 00:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:36) correct 21% (01:18) wrong based on 201 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In this case, I could reach to B & E but could not take it further to reach to correct answer

Please advise..

Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that lie buried beneath the surface layers of old paintings. They claim, for example, that additional mountainous scenery once appeared in Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, which was later painted over. Skeptics reply to these claims, however, that X-ray examinations of the Mona Lisa do not show hidden mountains.

Which of the following, if true, would tend most to weaken the force of the skeptics’ objections?

(A) There is no written or anecdotal record that Leonardo da Vinci ever painted over major areas of his Mona Lisa.

(B) Painters of da Vinci’s time commonly created images of mountainous scenery in the backgrounds of portraits like the Mona Lisa.

(C) No one knows for certain what parts of the Mona Lisa may have been painted by da Vinci’s assistants rather than by da Vinci himself.

(D) Infrared photography of the Mona Lisa has revealed no trace of hidden mountainous scenery.

(E) Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect lead-based white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.

Originally posted by asthanap on 19 Mar 2009, 04:47.
Last edited by Mahmud6 on 06 Jan 2018, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed and formatted
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that li [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2009, 09:01
asthanap wrote:
In this case, I could reach to B & E but could not take it further to reach to correct answer.

Please advise.

Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that lie buried beneath the surface layers of old paintings. They claim, for example, that additional mountainous scenery once appeared in Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, which was later painted over. Skeptics reply to these claims, however, that X-ray examinations of the Mona Lisa do not show hidden mountains.
Which of the following, if true, would tend most to weaken the force of the skeptics’ objections?
(A) There is no written or anecdotal record that Leonardo da Vinci ever painted over major areas of his Mona Lisa.
(B) Painters of da Vinci’s time commonly created images of mountainous scenery in the backgrounds of portraits like the Mona Lisa.
(C) No one knows for certain what parts of the Mona Lisa may have been painted by da Vinci’s assistants rather than by da Vinci himself.
(D) Infrared photography of the Mona Lisa has revealed no trace of hidden mountainous scenery.
(E) Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect lead-based white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.

I would go with E. you need to weaken the skeptic's objection. Since the skeptic's objection is about the x-ray analysis, the correct answer should be related to why x-ray analysis is not enough or is not reliable.
VP
VP
Re: Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that li [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2009, 04:41
Pls do not quote the narrowed choices in ur answer as u will get biased answers.

Now coming to the question, i think it shld be E bcos we need to attck the skeptic's objection. the skeptic claims that X-ray examinations of ML do not show hidden mountains. However, if as E says, Analysis relying on X-rays has limited capabilities then it is quite possible that the X-ray is not able to detect the mountain scenary. B though a close one does not adhere to the skeptic's objection abt the X-Ray.
asthanap wrote:
In this case, I could reach to B & E but could not take it further to reach to correct answer.

Please advise.

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2009, 05:08
Will follow this rule in future. Thanks for your suggestion.

Now back to CR - I think somehow I analysed skeptic claim in wrong manner. I took it as evidence and I read somewhere - "any choice that raise questions the evidence can not be correct".

I guess it could be word X-Ray that took away the attention as same word was used to explain the point: Never question evidence

ritula wrote:
Pls do not quote the narrowed choices in ur answer as u will get biased answers.

Now coming to the question, i think it shld be E bcos we need to attck the skeptic's objection. the skeptic claims that X-ray examinations of ML do not show hidden mountains. However, if as E says, Analysis relying on X-rays has limited capabilities then it is quite possible that the X-ray is not able to detect the mountain scenary. B though a close one does not adhere to the skeptic's objection abt the X-Ray.
asthanap wrote:

Please advise.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2010, 19:20
Since Skeptics are replying based on the X-ray examinations. To weaken this passage we need to shoe the limitations of X-ray examinations. E clearly shows the same, therefore, E is the answer.

BTW...what is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:27
I go with E. I have the same reasoning as reply2spg.
btw what is OA?
Intern
Intern
Schools: kellogg, booth, stern, ann arbor

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2010, 15:25
I would go with E.

A. If there are no records available, then indeed the sceptics could use this fact to strengthen their argument that Leonardo didn't paint any mountains. and since there are no records, who knows for sure. NOPE
B. B says that it is "common" for painters to paint mountains. this doesn't make it so that Leonardo did. it was just something that was done customarily. No proof here. NOPE
C. If no one knows which parts were painted between Leonardo and his assistant, it would be difficult in figuring out who painted what part. indeed, its possible that a mountain has been painted. but, again, there is no proof of such. NOPE
D. this just completely strengthens the argument.
E. This is the only one that attacks the "x-ray" argument being made and shows the possible limitations of using the x-ray on the Mona Lisa.

on another note:
"mona lisa/can i get a date on friday/and if your busy, i wouldn't mind taking saturday-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay"
Kudos to anyone who remembers/knows that song. lol.

Paaaaayyy Meeeee!!!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 04:50
E...IMO

Since the choice E directly attacks the premise on which the Skeptics' claim is based....

While B is superficial ...it relies on experience all right but it does not give you anything substantial to attack the skeptics' claim.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 09:20
Here the skeptics are stating that X-rays show no mountainous views.
This objection needs to be weakened. E is the only stmt that weakens X-rays. (I've used simple english)
IMO:

B) Painters of da Vinci’s time commonly created images of mountainous scenery in the backgrounds of portraits like the Mona Lisa - This stmt does not weaken the X-ray equipment. It only "strenghtens" the first claim of the question.

HTH.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 09:51
IMO E.

E is the only option that weaken the skeptic claim which is based on X-rays

Please post OA

kudos +1 ?

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2010, 22:23

Modifier problem here. Its saying that analysis that relies on x-rays only can detect lead-based white pigments. Ok so what else can it detect?

I would have chosen E if it said
Analysis relying on X-rays has the capacity to only detect lead-based white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.

Stupid question.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2010, 22:32
Agree with E since we need to object at critiques decission.

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2010, 23:54
the skeptics talks about the x-ray examination .
TO weaken the the skeptics objection we need to choose an answer that is related to x-ray.
Only E talks about that.

So E is my ans.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2010, 18:56
I immediately thought there is something wrong with the x-ray when reading the question. The inappropriate use of x-ray or the inefficiency of it should directly weaken the skeptics' claim.

E seems to be the obvious answer here.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2013, 00:36
Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that lie buried
beneath the surface layers of old paintings. They claim, for example, that
additional mountainous scenery once appeared in Leonardo da Vinci's Mona
Lisa, which was later painted over. Skeptics reply to these claims, however, that
X-ray examinations of the Mona Lisa do not show hidden mountains.

Which of the following, if true, would tend most to weaken the force of
the skeptics' objections?

(A) There is no written or anecdotal record that Leonardo da Vinci ever
painted over major areas of his Mona Lisa
(B) Painters of da Vinci's time commonly created images of mountainous
scenery in the backgrounds of portraits like the Mona Lisa
(C) No one knows for certain what parts of the Mona Lisa may have been
painted by da Vinci's assistants rather than by da Vinci himself.
(D) Infrared photography of the Mona Lisa has revealed no trace of hidden
mountainous scenery.
(E) Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect lead-based
white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting's surface layers.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 11:30
The question's OA is indeed E

Added to the 1st post. :)

Den
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 08:39
asthanap wrote:

Please advise.

I put your doubts in a spoiler, not to spoil the process of solving the question for other members of the forum.

My approach:
Skeptics say that X-ray do not show hidden mountains -> we need to weaken this statement.
we can do so by proving that X-ray is not a good technique to analyze paintings

E states that X-ray detects lead-based white pigments, but what if the underneath layers are not painted with lead-based paint? Clearly it weakens the argument!

E it is.

let's see how others do not weaken the argument:
so what? maybe no one knew about that? moreover, it rather strengthens the argument than weaken.

but that does not mean that da Vinci did the same...he's very well known for not BEING like everyone else!

this one is out of scope - as it talks about possibility that Mona Lisa might have been painted by da Vinci's assistants - nothing relevant to our argument

Infrared testing is out of scope here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: CR - Monalisa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 01:56
We need to weaken the skeptic's statement. Since the skeptic's statement is about the x-ray analysis, the correct answer should be related to why x-ray analysis is not reliable. E it is.

Please give kudos if you like my post.Thanks

Re: CR - Monalisa   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2018, 01:56

Using computer techniques, researchers analyze layers of paint that li

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap