GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler)

  • 91% [11]
  • 8% [1]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 2
UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 11:02
Hi All,

Currently deciding between UT and UNC for MBA. Was admitted to both with no scholarship and open to relocate to either region. Leaning to UT because of Austin and family close by. Not entirely sure about industry I want to pursue after.

Any comments/opinions about the programs, your thoughts on the direction/brand of the programs or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I have seen quite a few negative posts about UNC career services. Is there any basis for these claims? UNC and UT employments reports look pretty similar. Need to decide in the next week or so. Thanks!

M

Originally posted by MMDB on 01 Apr 2018, 09:00.
Last edited by MMDB on 01 Apr 2018, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 651
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:06
1
MMDB wrote:
Hi All,

Currently deciding between UT and UNC for MBA. Was admitted to both with no scholarship and open to relocated to either region. Leaning to UT because of Austin and family close by. Not entirely sure about industry I want to pursue after.

Any comments/opinions about the programs, your thoughts on the direction/brand of the programs or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I have seen quite a few negative posts about UNC career services. Is there any basis for these claims? UNC and UT employments reports look pretty similar. Need to decide in the next week or so. Thanks!

M


UT Austin should be the easy pick here-better place to live in, better rankings, better reputation and brand of the program.
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3686
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:13
1
hey MMDB ,

Congratulations for the two great admits.

I would prefer picking McCombs here considering the close proximity to your family.

Just a quick question: What are your post MBA goals?

I have also heard similar things about UNC career services. So, I would prefer to remain as far as possible.

Finally, Austin is an awesome place to live in.

All the best :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V630
GPA: 3.08
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 14:12
abhimahna : could you please provide sources where you read negative posts regarding UNCs career services. I am also deciding between UNC and McCombs. If for you McCombs is the choice, then, apart from family, what other factors play a role here? Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 49
Location: India
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 23:06
UT Austin is more reputed than UNC. Also you'll have to do a lot of leg work at UNC as school is not proactive in providing opportunities via CMC.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3686
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 07:16
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
abhimahna : could you please provide sources where you read negative posts regarding UNCs career services. I am also deciding between UNC and McCombs. If for you McCombs is the choice, then, apart from family, what other factors play a role here? Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA


Hey BadgerNeeraj ,

Before I answer that question, could you please tell us more about your current profile and your short term and long tern goals.

I cannot directly support McCombs over UNC without any facts.

Thanks
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 2
UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 10:41
1
Hi BadgerNeeraj

I was the original poster of this thread. Nice to see the thoughts of others weighing the same options. I recently decided on UT. For me strength of program's specializations (UT ranks in top 20 for many specializations while UNC does not), job placement (for a regional school they send a lot of people out to Cali, which is a potential destination), new state of the art MBA building, and family swayed my decision in the direction of McCombs. Good luck on your decision!

M
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V630
GPA: 3.08
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 13:34
abhimahna wrote:
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
abhimahna : could you please provide sources where you read negative posts regarding UNCs career services. I am also deciding between UNC and McCombs. If for you McCombs is the choice, then, apart from family, what other factors play a role here? Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA


Hey BadgerNeeraj ,

Before I answer that question, could you please tell us more about your current profile and your short term and long tern goals.

I cannot directly support McCombs over UNC without any facts.

Thanks


Hey abhimanha .. i am an Indian male engineer with nearly 7.5 years of exp in quasi-consulting, market research and analytics roles. Predominantly in market research and analytics. Have 4 years of international work exp. Now I am planning to transition into the management consulting side but I am open to Tech as well. That is why I am evaluating both UNC and McCombs.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1719
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 16:14
1
MMDB wrote:
Hi BadgerNeeraj

I was the original poster of this thread. Nice to see the thoughts of others weighing the same options. I recently decided on UT. For me strength of program's specializations (UT ranks in top 20 for many specializations while UNC does not), job placement (for a regional school they send a lot of people out to Cali, which is a potential destination), new state of the art MBA building, and family swayed my decision in the direction of McCombs. Good luck on your decision!

M


Congarts for your decision. Actually, I would recommend McCombs as you did. One of the important is your network or family's connections. It maybe a good investment and could help in recruitment. So you have big school with high reputation and your network :-)

Good luck
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3686
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 03:16
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
Hey abhimanha .. i am an Indian male engineer with nearly 7.5 years of exp in quasi-consulting, market research and analytics roles. Predominantly in market research and analytics. Have 4 years of international work exp. Now I am planning to transition into the management consulting side but I am open to Tech as well. That is why I am evaluating both UNC and McCombs.


Hey BadgerNeeraj ,

Considering your goals and the kind of work ex you have, I would prefer McCombs over UNC for following reasons:

1. It is highly tech oriented. So, you will have more options for your Plan B in McCombs.
2. I believe McCombs has better consulting options due to its location maybe?
3. Austin is a beautiful place to live in.
4. I heard that CMC of UNC is not much supportive. So, again McCombs outweighs this point.

Take your decision real quick and enjoy your Pre MBA life. ;)

All the best :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 17
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.46
Reviews Badge
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 06:57
1
I was accepted to both programs with money, my impression is that McCombs is a definite step up. I wasn't too impressed by UNC when I visited, and UT is a legitimate force in Texas since it is the best ranked program in a far more prosperous state than NC. That said I did not visit McCombs campus so I can't speak to that, but in your shoes I would take UT and it's not close IMO.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V630
GPA: 3.08
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 09:48
abhimahna wrote:
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
Hey abhimanha .. i am an Indian male engineer with nearly 7.5 years of exp in quasi-consulting, market research and analytics roles. Predominantly in market research and analytics. Have 4 years of international work exp. Now I am planning to transition into the management consulting side but I am open to Tech as well. That is why I am evaluating both UNC and McCombs.


Hey BadgerNeeraj ,

Considering your goals and the kind of work ex you have, I would prefer McCombs over UNC for following reasons:

1. It is highly tech oriented. So, you will have more options for your Plan B in McCombs.
2. I believe McCombs has better consulting options due to its location maybe?
3. Austin is a beautiful place to live in.
4. I heard that CMC of UNC is not much supportive. So, again McCombs outweighs this point.

Take your decision real quick and enjoy your Pre MBA life. ;)

All the best :)


Hey abhimanha, thanks for all your help in making me choose between UT and UNC. I chose UT. However, a few days back I got accepted into UCLA Anderson and now I am trying to evaluate which one to choose. As I mentioned before, I am an Indian male engineer with 7+ years of exp in market research and quasi-consulting and I am planning to move to Tech. Which school would be the best for this career transition? Parameters I am considering for deciding one are:
1) Which school provides best opportunities for this transition
2) Which is a bigger brand in the US?
3) Cost of the program

Any inputs would be highly appreciated. TIA
Re: UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler)   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 09:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

UT (McCombs) vs UNC (Kenan-Flagler)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.