It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V01-31

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135406 [0], given: 12692

V01-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:55
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:47) correct 34% (00:59) wrong based on 64 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It was at the American School for the Deaf that influences from both French Sign Language and various “home sign” systems would interact, intermingle, and what would become American Sign Language was born.

A. what would become American Sign Language was born
B. give birth to what became American Sign language
C. what would become American Sign Language was given birth
D. and American Sign Language, or what would eventually become it, was born
E. American Sign Language was birthed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V01-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:55
Official Solution:

It was at the American School for the Deaf that influences from both French Sign Language and various “home sign” systems would interact, intermingle, and what would become American Sign Language was born.

A. what would become American Sign Language was born
B. give birth to what became American Sign language
C. what would become American Sign Language was given birth
D. and American Sign Language, or what would eventually become it, was born
E. American Sign Language was birthed

The underlined portion as written is awkward and its meaning unclear. The correct answer will clarify the underlined portion in a way that maintains parallelism with the list of verbs begun by the helping word would.
  1. Choice A : This option is awkward and does not continue the list of verbs begun by the helping word would.
  2. Choice B : This option correctly places the verb phrase give birth first, so that the list of verbs is continued; this placement also helps to clarify the meaning of the underlined portion within the context of the sentence.
  3. Choice C : The words given birth create a passive construction that is even more unclear and awkward than the original.
  4. Choice D : The words or what would eventually become it create and awkward, unclear construction and do not satisfy the parallelism required in the sentence.
  5. Choice E : American Sign Language should be placed after the verb, so that the list of verbs begun by the word would is continued in the sentence.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
Re: V01-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 11:38
i think it should be "gave" not "give".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 01:24
phanikrishna wrote:
i think it should be "gave" not "give".

The helping verb "would" covers all the three verbs, interact, intermingle and give. "Would gave" is grammatically wrong.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 23:03
I think that
Quote:
influences
is a noun and here is used as a verb which is wrong. I find this sentence awkward to read. any explanation?

For e.g. The Business Environment examines the external influences on business organizations.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 07:59
Shiridip wrote:
I think that
Quote:
influences
is a noun and here is used as a verb which is wrong. I find this sentence awkward to read. any explanation?

For e.g. The Business Environment examines the external influences on business organizations.

"Influence" can be either a noun or a verb. Here the usage of "influence" as verb is alright.

e.g., I cannot influence how you think. ( "influence" used as a verb)

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 18:50
Here influence is used as a singular verb "influences" that sounds very awkward even though grammatically correct. Even in your example "I cannot influence how you think" influence has a subjunctive mood. Can you explain this? Can you give me another example where influences is used as a verb?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

V01-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shiridip wrote:
Here influence is used as a singular verb "influences" that sounds very awkward even though grammatically correct. Even in your example "I cannot influence how you think" influence has a subjunctive mood. Can you explain this? Can you give me another example where influences is used as a verb?

1. You need to specify what is awkward about using "influences" as a singular verb.
2. No, my example is not in subjunctive mood.
3. Example: Buddha's story influences many around the world even today.

My suggestion would be that you first go through a standard dictionary to understand the usage of the word "influence", and then if you still have doubts, post your query. (Note: this sentence is in subjunctive).

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 22:49
Hi Expert,

I solved the question correctly, but I did not understand the formation of the sentence. What should be the subject of the helping verb "would"?

Thanks for your help

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 136

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 02:33
Would would appear in a case when it is a future probable situation. So usage of would be wrong here when you are trying to describe an event already happened.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 09:13
It seems I am unable to understand the meaning of the main sentence. Just leave the underlined part out for some time. Can someone explain to me what the non-underlined part is trying to say?

Case1: Is it the ASD that is getting influenced by FSL and HSL?
Case2: Is it the ASD that is influencing FSL and HSL?
Case3: Is it at the ASD where influences from both FSL and HSL would interact?
Case4: Something else that I do not see yet?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: V01-31   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 09:13

V01-31

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap