GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V02-28

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
V02-28 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:57
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:11) correct 45% (01:24) wrong based on 92 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A. The company should install more effective anti-virus software.
B. Using passwords is not the only security measure recommended for the employees.
C. Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D. The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E. Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re V02-28 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:57
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A. The company should install more effective anti-virus software.
B. Using passwords is not the only security measure recommended for the employees.
C. Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D. The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E. Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.

Situation: A company prioritizes information security in order to protect its ability to compete.

Reasoning: What inference can be drawn from this information? The theme running through the entire passage is the importance of maintaining secrecy. The first and second sentences contain reasons for secrecy, and the third an insistence that employees use a variety of means to maintain it. The correct answer, then, will be an extension of the argument for secrecy.
  1. This statement is out of context. Nothing has been mentioned about anti-virus softwares in the passage.
  2. This sentence is a logical extension of the company's policies about information security. The third sentence states that employees should not only use passwords, but also practice physical control. Hence password control is not the only thing recommended for the company employees.
  3. Though the passage mentions the value of company information, it does not specify that the value is monetary, nor is the passage specific about fears of attracting hackers.
  4. The passage does not discuss real or potential costs for maintaining information security.
  5. The passage concentrates on the importance of information security, rather than the training of employees to maintain it.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V02-28 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 03:42
In my view answer B is out of scope.. How can we know that the employees are not allowed to discuss research with any third parties? What if the company has joint project with another company and works under non-disclosure agreement that allows both companies to exchange relevant information? That won't create any security problems. I eliminated B and chose C as it is more relevant and closer to the scope (thought hackers are not mentioned..).

Thanks for the feedback on that in advance! Bunuel
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 19:58
The answer option is clearly far fetched. This is a must be true question.

They have not told anything about how other partner companies working on the same projects are involved.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 07:15
I agree with Delamax , It is a must be true question. Outside info is not allowed.I marked A bcoz the storage devices would not require "physical control" If they could safely be protected by passwords .Hence A can be safely be inferred .
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 03:48
Answer B is just synonym for protecting the company's info. We can't assume that some other company can be in the loop. We have to take the stem as is (in a must be true question)
Answer A on the other hand attacks one way of protection and this was not mentioned in the stem.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 17:13
agree with the above said. we deal with an inference type of question, and we must pick an answer choice that is 100% based on the info given in the argument.
B talks about not discussing with other people. I agree that it can help to prevent leaks of info, but it is AN ADDITIONAL way to prevent the leakage.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 12:04
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. B is absolutely out of scope there is absolutely no mention of it in the text. The answer says that it is "a logical extension" - it is not. It is an entirely made up scenario that may happen, but there is no surety that it will happen.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 09:17
The passage only mentions that employees must protect information through passwords, encryption or physical protection. It does not mention to other protection ways. The answer choice B or other answers that mentions to additional way of protection are absolutely made up scenarios, which cannot be inferred from the passage.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 06:14
Answer B is not justified for this must be true/inference question as it could be true but NOT must be true. To me, option A is only explicit must be true option which can be inferred from passage.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 23:58
prita2016 wrote:
Answer B is not justified for this must be true/inference question as it could be true but NOT must be true. To me, option A is only explicit must be true option which can be inferred from passage.

The question has been updated.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 05:02
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. I don't think this is 700 level question. As the option B was earlier incorrect and many respondents might have marked the incorrect choice due to an incorrect option.

The question stats should be reset after the option choice B is modified. That will correctly reflect the no of right responses.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 10:03
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. I don't think this is 700 level question. As the option B was earlier incorrect and many respondents might have marked the incorrect choice due to an incorrect option.

The question stats should be reset after the option choice B is modified. That will correctly reflect the no of right responses.

The difficulty level has been adjusted in the system. The level will be updated periodically depending on the percentage of correct answers.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 06:54
The main objective is what can be inferred from the argument. Option "A" states that "more effective anti-virus software". Based on the importance of the information, the company would have already installed effective anti-virus software. There is no information in the passage to state that the anti-virus software currently installed by the company is ineffective. I an not convinced that this is the correct choice.
I picked C. From the passage we can gather that the information is valuable. We can infer that this valuable information will definitely attract the attention of the competitors and they may try to obtain it. Since the company places a high emphasis on security of data, the competitors may try to hack into the system to obtain the data.
Bunuel, please let me know what you think.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 07:37
kapilrao wrote:
The main objective is what can be inferred from the argument. Option "A" states that "more effective anti-virus software". Based on the importance of the information, the company would have already installed effective anti-virus software. There is no information in the passage to state that the anti-virus software currently installed by the company is ineffective. I an not convinced that this is the correct choice.
I picked C. From the passage we can gather that the information is valuable. We can infer that this valuable information will definitely attract the attention of the competitors and they may try to obtain it. Since the company places a high emphasis on security of data, the competitors may try to hack into the system to obtain the data.
Bunuel, please let me know what you think.

You seem to have missed something - please go though the OA and OE. OA is NOT A.

Option C is wrong because nothing has been explicitly mentioned about the "monetary" value of the information - The information may "be very valuable", but what kind of value is not discussed in the passage. Moreover it is not mentioned whether the information is attractive to hackers - the passage just states it is attractive to competitors and government. The additional assumptions you have made is that the government or the competitors are willing to buy the hacked information from the hackers - this is not mentioned in the passage.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HEC Montreal '19
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 18:35
This post received
KUDOS
My understanding was that for inference questions, the information cannot be stated in the text. In this text it clearly states "All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops." So how can, B be the correct answer?
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.73

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 22:15
I thought the whole point of an inference question is to infer from the information given? Answer B is clearly stated in the prompt... I'm very confused :(
Re: V02-28   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2017, 22:15

V02-28

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap