GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 04:43

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

V11-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 10:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:19) correct 34% (00:57) wrong based on 76 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the Ottoman Turks under the leadership of Suleiman II took control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, their unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, which stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring that the Christian rather than the Muslim religion and culture would dominate the region.

A. under the leadership of Suleiman II took control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, their unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, which stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring
B. led by Suleiman II took control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they were unsuccessful to siege Vienna in 1529, and it marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring
C. under the leadership of Suleiman II had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, their unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe and ensuring
D. who were led by Suleiman II, had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they have been unsuccessful in sieging Vienna in 1529, marking the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe and ensuring
E. led by Suleiman II had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they unsuccessfully sieged Vienna in 1529, marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensured

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 10:02
Official Solution:

Although the Ottoman Turks under the leadership of Suleiman II took control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, their unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, which stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring that the Christian rather than the Muslim religion and culture would dominate the region.

A. under the leadership of Suleiman II took control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, their unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, which stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring
B. led by Suleiman II took control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they were unsuccessful to siege Vienna in 1529, and it marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring
C. under the leadership of Suleiman II had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, their unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe and ensuring
D. who were led by Suleiman II, had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they have been unsuccessful in sieging Vienna in 1529, marking the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe and ensuring
E. led by Suleiman II had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they unsuccessfully sieged Vienna in 1529, marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensured

A. If an incident happened before another incident in past, it is preferable to use past perfect for the former and simple past for the later. The incidents took control and marked the beginning are both expressed in simple past incorrectly. The modifier which stopped…. wrongly refers to empire. stopped and ensuring are not parallel.

B. The incidents took control and were unsuccessful are both expressed in simple past incorrectly. The pronoun it is ambiguous.

C. Correct. The verb had taken is correctly expressed in past perfect since it happened before another incident (marked) in past. The modifier starting with present participle stopping the advance…..correctly modifies the entire clause – their unsuccessful siege …..the long decline of their empire – preceding it.

D. Using present perfect – “…have been unsuccessful” – is incorrect because the event completed in past.

E. The expression “unsuccessfully sieged” is awkward. The sentence wrongly implies that the Turks marked the beginning of the long decline, stopped the advance of Islam and ensured that Christian religion and culture would dominate.

Answer: C

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Re: V11-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 08:31
isn't it a bit awkward to place a coma before the word "and" because ... stopping... and ensuring... --> only 2 things to compare?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 03:39
oldest wrote:
isn't it a bit awkward to place a coma before the word "and" because ... stopping... and ensuring... --> only 2 things to compare?

Generally a comma is not to be used for 2 items, but here the usage is justified because there is another nested "and" just before, and for clarity the author has used the comma.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 02:07
HI

Plz advise if the use of modifiers in the option D is correct?

Although the Ottoman Turks who were led by Suleiman II, had taken control of Rhodes and much of the Mediterranean, they have been unsuccessful in sieging Vienna in 1529, MARKING the beginning of the long decline of their empire, stopping the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensuring that the Christian rather than the Muslim religion and culture would dominate the region.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 01:27
Team,

@sayantanc2k; @Bunuel; @chetan2u;

I am in for option C and agree with it. However I have question around sentence structure when "although" is used here. Sentence starts with # Although subject verb ....., their unsuccessful ....# Here what I want to say it is appropriate to say # Although subject verb ...., they [subject] verb # and so I was looking at option B which I know not correct in verb forms but for correct Although structure option B is well suited.

Do you agree ? I am convinced with contrast not being set properly.

N Avinash.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re V11-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 09:00
Option D has another flaw. The sentence- "Although the Ottoman Turks 'who were led by Suleiman II' " ambiguosly means that only the Ottoman Turks who were working for Suleiman II made the following deeds and not the other Ottoman Turks who were not under him.

So it is always suggested to point out all possible mistakes that an option has, for explanations. It ll give the students a vivid understanding.

I hope it helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Re V11-21 &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 09:00

V11-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap