GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

V32-08

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V32-08  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

84% (00:23) correct 16% (00:32) wrong based on 19 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Turritellenplatte of Ermingen, a type of rock, is a protected natural monument in Germany and has an abundance of fossils that are of interest to geologists and paleontologists, and they have determined the age of the rock to be 18.5 million years.

A. has an abundance of fossils that are of interest to geologists and paleontologists, and they have
B. have an abundance of fossils that interest geologists and paleontologists, who has
C. have an abundance of fossils that is of interest to geologists and paleontologists, who have
D. has an abundance of fossils that interest geologists and paleontologists, and they has
E. has an abundance of fossils that interest geologists and paleontologists, who have

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V32-08  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:43
Official Solution:

The Turritellenplatte of Ermingen, a type of rock, is a protected natural monument in Germany and has an abundance of fossils that are of interest to geologists and paleontologists, and they have determined the age of the rock to be 18.5 million years.

A. has an abundance of fossils that are of interest to geologists and paleontologists, and they have
B. have an abundance of fossils that interest geologists and paleontologists, who has
C. have an abundance of fossils that is of interest to geologists and paleontologists, who have
D. has an abundance of fossils that interest geologists and paleontologists, and they has
E. has an abundance of fossils that interest geologists and paleontologists, who have

A review of our answer choices shows a split in verb forms: has/have and is/are. There is also a split in the use of creating a new independent clause or using a relative clause.

Let's start by looking at the portion of the sentence that is not underlined and thus it cannot be changed. "The Turritellenplatte of Ermingen, a type of rock, is a protected natural monument." The subject is "the Turritellenplatte of Ermingen" and the verb is "is." "Is" is the present tense third-person singular of "be," so our subject is singular.

The first portion of the sentence uses two verbs for the subject "the Turritellenplatte of Ermingen." The second verb must also be a present tense third-person singular form. "Has" is the present tense third-person singular, and "have" is present tense third-person plural. Options B and C use "have," so they cannot be the correct answers.

Some answer choices use the phrase "that is/are of interest to" instead of using "that interest." The unnecessary use of a "be" verb makes these sentences wordy. Options A and D cannot be the best answers.

Now, let's look at the they/who issue. It is not wrong to create a new sentence using the conjunction "and" and the pronoun "they." It is also not wrong to create a relative clause using "who." It is more concise to use "who." Some could even argue that the pronoun "they" does not have a clear antecedent and that it could be either the geologists and the paleontologists or the fossils. However, the fossils cannot "determine" anything on their own, so the antecedent cannot be that unclear. Since we should practice the principle of concision when possible, the options that create a second independent clause should be eliminated. Options A and D cannot be the best answers.

Should "has" or "have" be used with "who"? It depends on the noun "who" is modifying. In this case, geologists and paleontologists are plural, so the plural verb should be used. "Who have" is correct. Option B cannot be the best answer.

We have successfully eliminated four answer choices. Option E is the best answer.

Answer: E

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
Re: V32-08  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 22:54
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

A review of our answer choices shows a split in verb forms: has/have and is/are. There is also a split in the use of creating a new independent clause or using a relative clause.

Let's start by looking at the portion of the sentence that is not underlined and thus it cannot be changed. "The Turritellenplatte of Ermingen, a type of rock, is a protected natural monument." The subject is "the Turritellenplatte of Ermingen" and the verb is "is." "Is" is the present tense third-person singular of "be," so our subject is singular.

The first portion of the sentence uses two verbs for the subject "the Turritellenplatte of Ermingen." The second verb must also be a present tense third-person singular form. "Has" is the present tense third-person singular, and "have" is present tense third-person plural. Options B and C use "have," so they cannot be the correct answers.

Some answer choices use the phrase "that is/are of interest to" instead of using "that interest." The unnecessary use of a "be" verb makes these sentences wordy. Options A and D cannot be the best answers.

Now, let's look at the they/who issue. It is not wrong to create a new sentence using the conjunction "and" and the pronoun "they." It is also not wrong to create a relative clause using "who." It is more concise to use "who." Some could even argue that the pronoun "they" does not have a clear antecedent and that it could be either the geologists and the paleontologists or the fossils. However, the fossils cannot "determine" anything on their own, so the antecedent cannot be that unclear. Since we should practice the principle of concision when possible, the options that create a second independent clause should be eliminated. Options A and D cannot be the best answers.

Should "has" or "have" be used with "who"? It depends on the noun "who" is modifying. In this case, geologists and paleontologists are plural, so the plural verb should be used. "Who have" is correct. Option B cannot be the best answer.

We have successfully eliminated four answer choices. Option E is the best answer.

Answer: E

I have selected A between A and E because 'who' is referring to only paleontologists but the intended meaning is both paleontologists and geologists have determined together. In fact, usage of they was clear as there was no ambiguity for the antecedent. The usage of , who is similar to usage of , which, isn't it?
Thoughts anyone?

Kudos to Kudos :)

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: V32-08 &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2018, 22:54

V32-08

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap