It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Correct usage of which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 169 [1], given: 138

Correct usage of which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Experts,

Please throw some light on my below doubts:

Declining values for farm equipment and land, which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

1. In the above sentence, what does "which" modify? A. Declining values B. Farm equipment AND land C. Land (only) -- Please explain!
2. In the above sentence, what might be other issues present?

3. Can "which" refer back to 2 things separated by "and" in a sentence? Example: Coca Cola and Thumbs Up, which are produced by Coke, have same taste. --> is the usage of which correct here?

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 169 [1], given: 138

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9002 [1], given: 113

Re: Correct usage of which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Declining values for farm equipment and land, which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

1. In the above sentence, what does "which" modify? A. Declining values B. Farm equipment AND land C. Land (only) -- Please explain!

3. Can "which" refer back to 2 things separated by "and" in a sentence? Example: Coca Cola and Thumbs Up, which are produced by Coke, have same taste. --> is the usage of which correct here?

Regards

Dear gmatexam439,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The word "which" is a relative pronoun. It always starts a particular kind of noun-modifying dependent clause, known as a relative clause. Because "which" is a pronoun, its antecedent is a noun, the target noun modified by the relative clause. Typically, this is the noun that the clause touches.

In this sentence, here's just the independent clause:
Declining values for farm equipment and land are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.
That's a 100% perfect sentence by itself, grammatically & logically correct, but it doesn't tell the whole story. If we think about the economics of the situation, we may wonder what the value of "farm equipment and land" has to do with loans & credit.

The noun-modifying clause beginning with "which" provides this additional information. This clause follows the parallel nouns "farm equipment and land" and modifies these nouns: these nouns therefore are the antecedent of the pronoun "which."

These two nouns are mentioned together, "farm equipment and land," and the sentence makes no attempt to distinguish them, so it is fair to say that the "which" clause must modify both of them. To some extent, the answer to this question has zero impact on the grammar of the sentence.

This is a good sentence. The language in the "which" clause is a little causal and a little loose with prepositions. The construction "to get through" is colloquial, not formal. A more formal, well-written version might be:

1) Declining values for farm equipment and land, collateral against which farmers borrow to survive until the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

2) Traditionally, each spring, farmers use farm equipment and land as collateral against which to borrow, to sustain themselves until the harvest, but this year, the declining values of these assets are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit for these loans.

I don't know whether either one of these is the "best" way to convey this information, but these are certainly more academic and formal than the original version.

The pronoun "which" certainly can refer to two or more nouns in parallel, as can "who" and "that" and most other relative pronouns. For clarity, I would say:
Coca Cola and Thumbs Up, both of which are produced by Coke, have same taste.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9002 [1], given: 113

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 12:44
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Regards

Dear gmatexam439,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The word "which" is a relative pronoun. It always starts a particular kind of noun-modifying dependent clause, known as a relative clause. Because "which" is a pronoun, its antecedent is a noun, the target noun modified by the relative clause. Typically, this is the noun that the clause touches.

In this sentence, here's just the independent clause:
Declining values for farm equipment and land are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.
That's a 100% perfect sentence by itself, grammatically & logically correct, but it doesn't tell the whole story. If we think about the economics of the situation, we may wonder what the value of "farm equipment and land" has to do with loans & credit.

The noun-modifying clause beginning with "which" provides this additional information. This clause follows the parallel nouns "farm equipment and land" and modifies these nouns: these nouns therefore are the antecedent of the pronoun "which."

These two nouns are mentioned together, "farm equipment and land," and the sentence makes no attempt to distinguish them, so it is fair to say that the "which" clause must modify both of them. To some extent, the answer to this question has zero impact on the grammar of the sentence.

This is a good sentence. The language in the "which" clause is a little causal and a little loose with prepositions. The construction "to get through" is colloquial, not formal. A more formal, well-written version might be:

1) Declining values for farm equipment and land, collateral against which farmers borrow to survive until the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

2) Traditionally, each spring, farmers use farm equipment and land as collateral against which to borrow, to sustain themselves until the harvest, but this year, the declining values of these assets are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit for these loans.

I don't know whether either one of these is the "best" way to convey this information, but these are certainly more academic and formal than the original version.

The pronoun "which" certainly can refer to two or more nouns in parallel, as can "who" and "that" and most other relative pronouns. For clarity, I would say:
Coca Cola and Thumbs Up, both of which are produced by Coke, have same taste.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hello mikemcgarry,

I wish I could give you a thousand kudos for the explanation. Thank you very much for the detailed analysis. I was thinking on the same lines but a few people's replies made me doubt my understanding.

Once again thank you very very much for the detailed explanation -- you saved/made my day :-D

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 138

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 18:58
mikemcgarry wrote:
The pronoun "which" certainly can refer to two or more nouns in parallel

Hi mike, by any chance, if you could dig up an official example in this regard, it would augment our understanding.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 19

Re: Correct usage of which   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 18:58

Correct usage of which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap