It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlisted at Stern - How do I revert it?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.44
Waitlisted at Stern - How do I revert it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 20:50
Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for your time in addressing my situation.

After interviewing for Stern on 01/24/2017 I was under the impression that I had done well. I was notified today, however, that I had been waitlisted.
Considering that Stern admits about 70% of the people they interview I cannot help to think that I must have blew up my interview and I couldn´t convey the strength of my candidacy or how much I wanted to attend this school, and now I´m faced with the task of trying to be admitted out of the waitlist.

I am a 29 yo, so I think I´m on the high end of the age range and reapplying for the Class of 2020 doesn´t seem as the best course of action for me.

A little context on my background:
-From Uruguay
-Assistant Manager at Deloitte. 7+ years of experience in Accounting
-Part time adjunct professor of Advanced accounting in University
-Want to transition into IB or Asset management for which Stern would be a great match.
-Lived a year in Ireland and backpacked from Tokyo to London for six months.
-TOEFL ibt 110
-GMAT 720 Q(49), V(40)
-BS in accounting and CPA in Uruguay

-GPA 2.44 —> This, I feel is the weakest aspect of my application.
I used the additional essay to explain that I had to worked full time while pursuing my undergraduate degree with the subsequent impact on my grades, but regardless of this I graduated in the top 6% of a class of 532 students (most work FT as I did so although I had a low absolute GPA I was among the best on a relative basis).

As a way to improve my candidacy I was considering retaking the GMAT, as 720 is the average for their class, and I wouldn´t be compensating for my low GPA with that score.
But how effective will a 20 or 30 point increase really be? I don´t have much time to take additional course work before they start reviewing the WL in spring so retaking the GMAT seems like the only option regarding academics.

In what other aspects is my application subpar and should I send additional support ?
In the last three months since I applied my Job description hasn´t changed much leaving me no room for an update there.

Should I write an additional essay stating how the schools is my first choice and how well it suits my career goals? Wouldn´t that be redundant with the application essays?

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Regards,
Gaston

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [1], given: 38

Re: Waitlisted at Stern - How do I revert it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Gaston,
Congratulations on your interview!
Waitlisted ain't rejected! BIG difference buddy!
In my opinion you're not too old for re-applying for 2020 (God Forbid) if Stern is really your dream school. I also think that your high GMAT score offsets your low GPA, hence, I wouldn't worry about it. According to many experts and Stern adcom, you may send in additional information to bump up your chances of getting an admit. However, you need to review your application carefully and send in NEW information. Information worthy of making a positive impact such as a promotion, community service involvement, new GMAT score (although I wouldn't recommend in your case), etc. A letter reiterating why Stern is the ONLY choice for you can be submitted alongwith other updates. If you can visit Stern, I think that would also help.
Let me know how it goes ! Good Luck !

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 51 [1], given: 38

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Waitlisted at Stern - How do I revert it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 05:11
GastonUY wrote:
Hello,
[color=#0000ff]Hi Gaston UY, as someone who has managed a waitlist in the past for a top 20 program, let me tell you what worked for me. I wanted the waitlisted candidate to reach out and tell me this was a school they really wanted to attend. If it is your top choice and you would sign up immediately if offered a spot, make sure they know this. Then i would ask if there is any other information they would like to see that could help. If so, provide it. If not, don't send them a bunch of stuff. I suspect it is your GPA and you cant fix that easily or quickly. But if you want to roll the dice and retake the GMAT and if you can improve your score by all means send it on. Notice when the next round of decisions go out and try to have that new score in before that time so they can compare you to new candidates before committing to admit someone else. We at Stratus have some counselors with adcom experience and also familiarity and can advise you on the best way to maximize your chances- even just an hour or so could really help you make sure you do all you can. We'd be happy to talk more about your situation if you want to get in touch for a free consult. Best wishes to you! Don't give up hope- there is still a lot of time to move off the WL! [color=#0000ff][/color][/color]
I would like to start by thanking you for your time in addressing my situation.

After interviewing for Stern on 01/24/2017 I was under the impression that I had done well. I was notified today, however, that I had been waitlisted.
Considering that Stern admits about 70% of the people they interview I cannot help to think that I must have blew up my interview and I couldn´t convey the strength of my candidacy or how much I wanted to attend this school, and now I´m faced with the task of trying to be admitted out of the waitlist.

I am a 29 yo, so I think I´m on the high end of the age range and reapplying for the Class of 2020 doesn´t seem as the best course of action for me.

A little context on my background:
-From Uruguay
-Assistant Manager at Deloitte. 7+ years of experience in Accounting
-Part time adjunct professor of Advanced accounting in University
-Want to transition into IB or Asset management for which Stern would be a great match.
-Lived a year in Ireland and backpacked from Tokyo to London for six months.
-TOEFL ibt 110
-GMAT 720 Q(49), V(40)
-BS in accounting and CPA in Uruguay

-GPA 2.44 —> This, I feel is the weakest aspect of my application.
I used the additional essay to explain that I had to worked full time while pursuing my undergraduate degree with the subsequent impact on my grades, but regardless of this I graduated in the top 6% of a class of 532 students (most work FT as I did so although I had a low absolute GPA I was among the best on a relative basis).

As a way to improve my candidacy I was considering retaking the GMAT, as 720 is the average for their class, and I wouldn´t be compensating for my low GPA with that score.
But how effective will a 20 or 30 point increase really be? I don´t have much time to take additional course work before they start reviewing the WL in spring so retaking the GMAT seems like the only option regarding academics.

In what other aspects is my application subpar and should I send additional support ?
In the last three months since I applied my Job description hasn´t changed much leaving me no room for an update there.

Should I write an additional essay stating how the schools is my first choice and how well it suits my career goals? Wouldn´t that be redundant with the application essays?

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Regards,
Gaston

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 42

Re: Waitlisted at Stern - How do I revert it?   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2017, 05:11

Waitlisted at Stern - How do I revert it?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap